Epson EH-DM3

_indian

Hi AV enthusiasts,

This is my first post in hifivision forum. I live in Bangalore and been looking for a decent projector for my home use - watch movies and sports.

Recently I saw an ad in Times of India, Bangalore edition about Epson EH-DM3.

Epson EH-DM3

This is not a HD projector (540P), but other specifications seems to be good (atleast for me as a first time user, looking at sub-50K options).

• 3000:1 contrast ratio
  • Brightness of 2000 lm
  • Bulb life of 4000 to 5000 hours
  • integrated DVD player
  • integrated 2X10w speakers

The cost is about 50K which includes the projector + screen (not sure the size and type) + 1 year subscription to 70mm.com.

I will be having a demo of this projector sometime during this week. I want to check with the experts here about this deal - is this good OR do you suggest a better projector in this price range?

960 x 540 resoution seems awkward. You may have to find similar 16:9 source to map the pixel mapping to get the finest clarity. Beware as per the specs HDMI supports till 480P only which is DVD standard and not HD. Again this is is not matching with its native 540P resolution.

(Although 480P DVDs look awesome on my 480P widescreen projector thats because 1:1 mapping)

I too fell for the ad, but later got in touch with few HFV members and found them to be of no use.

But some guys i spoke to since a couple of days, are going crazy about the projector prices.

Personally I will not prefer this model. Odd resolution and do not like integrated dvd player too. You will get much better models for the price range mentioned

Hi again,

Yes, this seems to be odd resoultion. But, we had a demo of this projector yesterday and we were quite impressed in what we saw (mostly DVD and Hathway output). For 99% of time, this is what we will be watching using the projector (as currently I do not have any HD source input to feed).

Deal is that they give EH-DM3 projector + 7ft X 5ft Liberty projector screen + One year subscription to seventymm.com for 49K.

@ukjeyaraj : Can you please let me know what other models should I consider in this price range which is better than EH-DM3?

If my input to projector are limited to non-HD content (Hathway, DVD), is this deal still worth it?

Last edited:
Hi,

Just called up Digipro guys to check the price of Optoma projectors.

HD20 is 1 Lakh Rs
HD67 is 70K Rs.

Both of these are way above my limited budget :sad: Added to this, they do not have any dealers in Bangalore.

@Indian

Take your own DVDs and other media and audition it again. The demo content from seller may be calibrated to suit the projector. If you satisfy with the VFM, then take your call. BTW I am sure you will get other non HD projectors in same range from differnt brands. I can't suggest any particular model as not seen them currently. Check the speciailty projector dealer. Google them in classifides for your city. My only concern is such ads in newspaper deal with all non moving products.

Hi,

Just called up Digipro guys to check the price of Optoma projectors.

HD20 is 1 Lakh Rs
HD67 is 70K Rs.

Both of these are way above my limited budget :sad: Added to this, they do not have any dealers in Bangalore.

lucky americans they pay 44k, we pay 1 lakh, i didnt think there will be that much difference,ok i will stiil suggest getting a 720p atleast if not full hd
definitely worth it

Personally when I have a hometheatre set-up with 3 seater Lazboy recliners and a beautiful artificial waterfall beside my room for views (& kicks), I would not buy this. I would go for a much powerful Epson EH-4500 projector. Its mind boggling. I had a demo of that at ProFX in Bangalore. Thats my dream machine.

But as of now, I'm very contended to move this EPson DM3 from room to room and location to location while holidaying. This guy came home for the Demo and we played Ratatouille DVD and there was no holding back. My 6 year old daughter was all for it. I was watching IceAge with my daughter otherday and I have no words for the experience. I never felt that with my 42inch LCD. It supports DVD too well and my Xb0x gaming too. At this pricepoint I feel its a sweep. I havent heard of my other friends complaining too in my apartment complex at Lavelle Road.

photoga.jpg

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back