Epson EH-TW5820 Review + Epson service

Silencer

Hello everyone,

Prelude

I recently owned a TW 5650. I have a 9400 back at home town. So I wanted a projector at where I reside now. Unfortunately the unit had focus uniformity issues (lens convergence issue). So I lodged a complaint with Epson. An engineer came over and collected my projector. I told them that I need a new unit as it is brand new (less than 40hrs on the bulb). They agreed and asked me to wait 6 weeks, yes 6 weeks owing to Covid. I agreed and I told them I will use the projector till I receive the replacement unit.

Now

Yesterday I have received a call from Epson that my projector has come. 2 days to 6 weeks. lol. I asked them about the manufacturing date. The lady on the other side said that she couldn't find it, she said she can only see the model no which is tw5820. I was surprised. I knew about upcoming models equipped with Android TV. But never thought Epson would bestow me with one. Kudos Epson. Very well done. :D:D

I happily received the unit today morning. Fired it up. You get 2 black colored remote controllers. Looks good. Made of plastic and lighter. I paired them with projector. The Android interface works fine. Logged in. Copied some files to it and played it back. It is sharper and punchier than 5650. I even played a 1 min 4K non-hdr file. It played it back fine. No stutter, and the colors were reproduced very well. I felt it a bit more sharper than the 1080p file, may be the extra bitrate. But it is a 1080p projector. There is a minor advantage in contrast, nothing jaw dropping. But again an improvement is an improvement, especially the contrast (70000:1, advertised). The inbuilt speaker is louder and the quality has improved. It can really fill a 300 sqft room (subjective). There are options for sound like Music, Movie, etc. I know :p

I feel that this projector is much similar to the old tw6700. But the noise is there for you, though I am not bothered by it.

The main advantage is Panel Alignment. You could not adjust the LCD panels in 5650, but can in 5820. This helps us to fix any color bleeding issues (not 100%). That is a welcome change. The brightness is improved by a 100 lumens (advertised). The menu is in classic Epson style but with extra options. I have not gone through that completely.

I will post the pics tomorrow. Tonight I plan to watch Sylvie's Love. I don't have a dedicated room here in Bangalore. It is setup in my living room. (Unable to find a face palm smiley). So kindly excuse the setup. I know I don't forgive myself for that either, but it is a humble projector. So see you later with pics.

The unit in its original packaging.

IMG-20210114-WA0000.jpg

I watched Sylvie's Love and some episodes of Delhi Crime. And yeah, one min of 4K video.

IMG-20210113-WA0022.jpg
IMG-20210113-WA0030.jpg
IMG-20210114-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20210113-WA0032.jpg

IMG-20210114-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20210114-WA0003.jpg

The projector shows some great images for the price. I don't know the MRP they will charge as the unit had a sticker 'Not for Sale'. May be I got an early batch. Either way I am a happy customer, lol.

I took the images with pro mode. So I could adjust the settings to match what I saw on the screen. But still the actual images are way sharper and punchier.

I have not calibrated the image yet, even then they felt really fine. I took the images in the conditions of my living room, so they are far from perfect. You can notice the reflections from the wall. In a dedicated room, this will shine even better.

Also I must say that Epson has exceeded my expectations in their service. From the day I raised the complaint to till date, they have been so professional unlike some snobbish dealers or brands.

Well, that's it. Thanks for the support. God bless.

Last edited:
I am attaching some more screenshots. Purely for reference. Please note these are taken from a handheld phone. I have reduced the resolution to upload it here.

A projector's image quality and contrast can't be judged from screenshots. I have a 9400 and hasn't a watched a movie on it for the past year and half as I am away from home.

When compared to 9400, though it is a whole different beast, this 5820 is a decent performer. And it would shine better in a dark room.Screenshot_2021-05-12-02-10-04-87.jpg
IMG_20210512_021059.jpgScreenshot_2021-05-12-02-10-34-64.jpg

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back