Epson TW650 vs Epson EB-U05 vs BenQ w1050

chiraagm

Hi,

I have narrowed my purchase decision to the these three projectors Epson TW650 vs Epson EB-U05 vs BenQ w1050, although I am open to suggestions (based on a budget under 70K). I understand that the BenQ would be a good purchase for better blacks (which is a priority!!) but it has a brightness which is far lower than the other two Epson projectors due to DLP vs 3LCD.

My basic purpose would be to watch movies and sports (in HD) in a 100-120 inch screen projected onto a white wall or maybe a screen.

I understand the basic difference between the three, with regards to technology of the lamp, brightness and wifi, but they look otherwise very similar. I dont really care about the wifi, and the fact that an amazon fire stick or google chromecast would work just fine for casting!

I will be operating this projector in a room where there is a good amount of ambient light in the day, would the EB-U05 projector with its 3400 lumens work better than the TW650 with 3100 lumes in this kind of a setup to watch movies/sports? Should I even consider the BenQ w1050.

All of these are available for 55K to 65K, don't want to stretch the budget to over 70K for sure. So open to recommendations!

Thanks!
Chiraag

Hi,

I have narrowed my purchase decision to the these three projectors Epson TW650 vs Epson EB-U05 vs BenQ w1050, although I am open to suggestions (based on a budget under 70K). I understand that the BenQ would be a good purchase for better blacks (which is a priority!!) but it has a brightness which is far lower than the other two Epson projectors due to DLP vs 3LCD.

My basic purpose would be to watch movies and sports (in HD) in a 100-120 inch screen projected onto a white wall or maybe a screen.

I understand the basic difference between the three, with regards to technology of the lamp, brightness and wifi, but they look otherwise very similar. I dont really care about the wifi, and the fact that an amazon fire stick or google chromecast would work just fine for casting!

I will be operating this projector in a room where there is a good amount of ambient light in the day, would the EB-U05 projector with its 3400 lumens work better than the TW650 with 3100 lumes in this kind of a setup to watch movies/sports? Should I even consider the BenQ w1050.

All of these are available for 55K to 65K, don't want to stretch the budget to over 70K for sure. So open to recommendations!

Thanks!
Chiraag

If you have lot of ambient light in the room, then good to consider a DIY grey screen (paint your wall), also inexpensive route.. 2 - 3K at best including materials and labour.. There is a detailed thread on the forum on how to paint the wall grey with locally aval resources..

I hate to say "increase your budget", but i would suggest you to consider Xgimi H1 (if you can), an RGB-LED lighting based projector..

It is an LED based projector, comes to full brightness in an instant and don't take the warm-up time like the lamp projectors do.. I have been using the Xgimi H1 for abt a yr and 9 months now as a replacement for TV and it has not disappointed me for all media consumption..

On top of these, it comes with Android.. You can download or side-load the streaming apps and watch it straightaway.. Check videos / reviews of the product..

If you have lot of ambient light in the room, then good to consider a DIY grey screen (paint your wall), also inexpensive route.. 2 - 3K at best including materials and labour.. There is a detailed thread on the forum on how to paint the wall grey with locally aval resources..

I hate to say "increase your budget", but i would suggest you to consider Xgimi H1 (if you can), an RGB-LED lighting based projector..

It is an LED based projector, comes to full brightness in an instant and don't take the warm-up time like the lamp projectors do.. I have been using the Xgimi H1 for abt a yr and 9 months now as a replacement for TV and it has not disappointed me for all media consumption..

On top of these, it comes with Android.. You can download or side-load the streaming apps and watch it straightaway.. Check videos / reviews of the product..

Hi

Thanks for your reply!!

I knew the "increase your budget" option would always come!! :). I did consider the Xgimi H1/H2 but didnt know or have any history for it and whether the replacement lamps or other parts would be available in India. More importantly also concerned since the Xgimi claims "only" 950 lumens!! Wouldn't that be far less brighter than either of the three projectors I was considering at a more expensive price?

If I do consider "increasing the budget", what exactly is the difference between the Xgimi H1 and H2?

Thanks
Chiraag

I knew the "increase your budget" option would always come!! :).

Ha ha.. I didn't mean to.. Just wanted to you consider if you have a possibility..

I did consider the Xgimi H1/H2 but didnt know or have any history for it and whether the replacement lamps or other parts would be available in India.

Good that you have considered it already..

Few on the forum have H1, including me and some on the forum organised a group buy for H2, a whileback.. We have a dealer in India, who should help replace the LED bulb, just incase something unfortunate happens.. But per the manufacturer claims, LED bulbs have longer life span than traditional bulbs, at-least 4 ~ 5 times more life span.. So technically, we wouldn't exhaust even 50% of the life span of the bulb for normal usage of 5 yrs..

More importantly also concerned since the Xgimi claims "only" 950 lumens!! Wouldn't that be far less brighter than either of the three projectors I was considering at a more expensive price?

Nope.. If you happen to check the Youtube reviews of H1 with competing models of 3,000 ANSI lumens, brightness is on par.. It is fairly bright in my living room, and i run it only at 60% brightness after basic colour calibration..

If I do consider "increasing the budget", what exactly is the difference between the Xgimi H1 and H2?

From what i understand from the specs is that H1 has throw ratio of 1.5:1, while H2 has a throw ratio of 1.2:1.. So with H2, you will get a bigger image from the same distance as H1.

Also H2 has 1350 LED lumens Vs H1 950 LED lumens, almost 50% more brighter than H1 if the situation demands..

Go for Epson tw650. Its an amazing projector for the price. I have been using it since last couple of months and i am very satisfied with its performance. You just need to calibrate it properly. Also you would not worry about Would suggest you to skip BenQ, as it is an dlp projector which means you need pitch dark ambience. Epson has 3lcd technology which gives better brightness when viewing in ambient light.

Attaching few pics from my Epson tw650
[
Screenshot_20190717-180942__01.jpgScreenshot_20190717-180956__01.jpgScreenshot_20190717-181016__01.jpgScreenshot_20190717-181026__01.jpgScreenshot_20190717-180715__01.jpgScreenshot_20190717-180942__01.jpgScreenshot_20190717-180956__01.jpgScreenshot_20190717-181016__01.jpgScreenshot_20190717-181026__01.jpgScreenshot_20190717-180715__01.jpg

Hi I am selling my Epson TW650 which is just 10 months old. Not used much so want to sell it away. I purchase it for Rs 54000 and can give it away at 45K. Let me know if you might be interested

Ha ha.. I didn't mean to.. Just wanted to you consider if you have a possibility..

Good that you have considered it already..

Few on the forum have H1, including me and some on the forum organised a group buy for H2, a whileback.. We have a dealer in India, who should help replace the LED bulb, just incase something unfortunate happens.. But per the manufacturer claims, LED bulbs have longer life span than traditional bulbs, at-least 4 ~ 5 times more life span.. So technically, we wouldn't exhaust even 50% of the life span of the bulb for normal usage of 5 yrs..

Nope.. If you happen to check the Youtube reviews of H1 with competing models of 3,000 ANSI lumens, brightness is on par.. It is fairly bright in my living room, and i run it only at 60% brightness after basic colour calibration..

From what i understand from the specs is that H1 has throw ratio of 1.5:1, while H2 has a throw ratio of 1.2:1.. So with H2, you will get a bigger image from the same distance as H1.

Also H2 has 1350 LED lumens Vs H1 950 LED lumens, almost 50% more brighter than H1 if the situation demands..

Thanks for your reply again..

Frankly this projector is being bought for my dad.. If it was for me I would definitely be looking at the Xgimi much more seriously and probably be buying it as well.. I am much more of a HT enthusiast! Unfortunately dad has the notion that Chinese product = substandard product, even though that isn't true if bought from the right manufacturers.
Nonetheless thanks for your time

Go for Epson tw650. Its an amazing projector for the price. I have been using it since last couple of months and i am very satisfied with its performance. You just need to calibrate it properly. Also you would not worry about Would suggest you to skip BenQ, as it is an dlp projector which means you need pitch dark ambience. Epson has 3lcd technology which gives better brightness when viewing in ambient light.

Attaching few pics from my Epson tw650
[
View attachment 37419View attachment 37420View attachment 37421View attachment 37422View attachment 37423View attachment 37419View attachment 37420View attachment 37421View attachment 37422View attachment 37423
Was pretty set on the TW650 until I had my head turned "again" by the Xgimi suggestion!

Thanks those images help!

Hello forum members,
I am planning to buy a Epson TW 650 projector for my living room of size 17' X 35' , the screen will be fixed on the 17' wall but usable area available to mount a fixed frame screen is 7' wide and 8' height ( from floor level ). My viewing distance is 18' feet max and 7 feet min. Kindly suggest me for a optimum screen size, also any reputed brands to go for or is it ok to take DIY route?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back