Equipment Repair - Experience

sandip_d

I had bought used Sansui AU-X501 from a second hand dealer in Mumbai almost 2 year back. It had some problems and the dealer was aware of it & sold me it cheap. It had some issues with the Tone Controls and I normally don't use them, overlooked the issues. It gave me reasonable service for approx. 1.5 years and went into protection mode all the time. I thought it was time to say good bye to this vintage gear & was about to spend money for new amp. So I requested forum members to suggest me new setup. As usual I got some useful tips and also some suggestions on Amp repair. Sandeepmohan suggested me a person from Poona and Rikhav suggested Akshay Zha from Mumbai. I spoke with Akshay and went to his place, handed over him the amp. He turned out to be very knowledgeble & experienced Engineer. After speaking with him, I was assured that, the amp was in the right hands for repair. After few days he gave 3 options for repair. I requested him to go for the one which would be in the best interest of Amp. he suggested to change the capacitors in power section, replace all electrolytic capacitors, replace all the switches in addition to replacing the blown up transistors. The quote for whole was very reasonable. He went on with the repairs, tested the amp for few days & called me. He not only carried out required repairs but tweaked the amp to sound better. I went to his place and auditioned the amp with his DIY floorstanders. The amp sounded extremely smooth, clean and warm. I could connect the setup at my home only after couple of days later as I was occupied. This beast sounded very musical to me with the Sansui A-950 speakers. I don't have the trained ears and won't be able to define the sound technically. But what I noticed was a very clean sound. The base was tight, the treble smooth and overall the amp sounded warm which I liked. I must say thaks to Rikhav who suggested me Akshay. And special thanks to Akshay for saving some of my money which would be diverted to Full HD panel.

Hi sandip. Nice to know that your amp is sounding excellent after the service. How old is the amp?? What is the wattage ?? what was the total cost for repairs?

Enjoy music.:)

Well, when i went to collect my amp which i had given to Akshay for repairs I had seen Sandip's amp opened up and Akshay was working on it.
Sandip, you actually need to thank Akshay and Anil ji of our forum. He had posted Akshay's number on some thread and that way i could contact Akshay
I had same experience with my amp after it got repaired. Sound was much more smooth and clean then before, basically the amp does not feel stressed at volumes at which it sounded harsh earlier

you actually need to thank Akshay and Anil ji of our forum. He had posted Akshay's number on some thread and that way i could contact Akshay
Missed Anil, Thanks for posting Akshay's No.

How old is the amp?? What is the wattage ?? what was the total cost for repairs?
The amp was manufactured in year 1987 I suppose. Dont know when the first owner bought it. It is 80+80 RMS. The cost of repair was Rs 3800/-

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back