Etrayz or Dedicated NAS

Haren Asher

Hi all!

I have got some doubts about the Xtreamer Etrayz 4tb NAS.

Will this work with any other media player? or do i have to buy the xtreamer only? ..

do i have to run it with 2hdds or can i run it in only 1. Also, i have a 1tb external hdd.. can i connect this to the nas or i will only be able to run it on 2 internal hdds only.

finally.. is the etrayz in anyway different from a dedicated NAS system?

i have been recomended to go in for a nas with the "storage" experts like Dlink/netgear/qnap etc.. but would like to know your opinion/suggestion.

My use is for my media, which is small but growing collection of music movies and photos and would also like to use it for backup of office work from my as well as 4-5 other pcs remotely. (Mainly documents /letters / pos etc).

Initially i was looking at a media player with NAS capability. But i think concentrating on secure storage / back up of data over media playing capability will be better. I am assuming that even a basic asus / amkette media player ( price from 3 to 5k) will be decent enough to play media over the nas to the tv.

finally, regarding eTraysz there are very few reviews online, and most of them arent very complimentary , with reports of them dying, and the gui being a pain etc. My parents are in the usa at the moment and there are some 2 bay/4tb NAS's available at Sub-10k prices. (around 150 to 200usd).

what would be a better buy?

Hi all!

I have got some doubts about the Xtreamer Etrayz 4tb NAS.

Will this work with any other media player? or do i have to buy the xtreamer only? ..
Yes this will work with any media player which supports Samba or through NFS.
do i have to run it with 2hdds or can i run it in only 1. Also, i have a 1tb external hdd.. can i connect this to the nas or i will only be able to run it on 2 internal hdds only.
You don't need to put both the hard drives to make it work but would recommend using both as this sometimes becomes unstable when we try and install the second hard drive at a later date and that could result in the loss of your data stored on your main drive. And yes you can connect your 1Tb USB drive to it externally but you will also need atleast 1 Internal drive to run it as the main software gets installed onto the main drive.
finally.. is the etrayz in anyway different from a dedicated NAS system?
No, its like a regular NAS.
i have been recomended to go in for a nas with the "storage" experts like Dlink/netgear/qnap etc.. but would like to know your opinion/suggestion.

My use is for my media, which is small but growing collection of music movies and photos and would also like to use it for backup of office work from my as well as 4-5 other pcs remotely. (Mainly documents /letters / pos etc).

Initially i was looking at a media player with NAS capability. But i think concentrating on secure storage / back up of data over media playing capability will be better. I am assuming that even a basic asus / amkette media player ( price from 3 to 5k) will be decent enough to play media over the nas to the tv.

finally, regarding eTraysz there are very few reviews online, and most of them arent very complimentary , with reports of them dying, and the gui being a pain etc. My parents are in the usa at the moment and there are some 2 bay/4tb NAS's available at Sub-10k prices. (around 150 to 200usd).
Look for Qnap or Readynas products.
what would be a better buy?

Please read my answer in Blue.

Qnas or ready nas proucts

please sugges
links would help

im in the market for a cheap and simple NAS too - 2TB is more than sufficient for my current and future needs
just to store my music and movies and share that over the netwrok (mostly all hard wired)

Ali, check with GeorgeO. He wants to let go of his Netgear ReadyNas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Qnas or ready nas proucts

please sugges
links would help

im in the market for a cheap and simple NAS too - 2TB is more than sufficient for my current and future needs
just to store my music and movies and share that over the netwrok (mostly all hard wired)

Am looking at the following models .. do let me know if these are good

Everything from network storage to multimedia and external hard drives by Iomega

Amazon.com: ZyXEL NSA320 2-bay Network Attached Storage and Media Server: Electronics

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DNS-320-ShareCenter-Network-Enclosure/dp/B004SUO450/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1

Amazon.com: Qnap TS-212-US 2-Bay USB 2.0 NAS Server: Electronics

Do let me know which is good of these.. or is there something am missing?

Thanks!
haren

Is there a NAS that doesn't change the file system (NTFS) of my existing HDDs?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Is there a NAS that doesn't change the file system (NTFS) of my existing HDDs?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Synology USB Station 2, it makes your normal USB portable HDDs shareable on network with their existing File System

Hey!!

Thanks .. read up on the DIY NAS .. looks like a lot of work especially for a technologically challenged like me :D ..

Also, his costing works out to around 6 to 7K (as of 2011) .. which should workout to about 8 to 10k in 2012 prices minus Hdd.

I have a chance to get a nas from usa, and costing for a 2bay unit is as low as 90usd to 200usd (roughly 5500 to 12000). Without the extra effort in reinventing the wheel :D ..

I initially thought of getting the zyxel media server 2 bay available at around 140USD.. But not many reviews of it online, so am considering getting the synology ds212j - thats got super reviews as a "easy to setup" and relatively future proof solution at 200usd.

Any users of Synology on the forum???

cheers!
haren

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back