Expert Advises for Home Theater!

sachinv_81

Hello Team,

I am new to the forum & seeking some expert advise from the gadget master through this..

I have already booked Sony HT IV-300 recently but as per the vendor, it's out of stock & will have to wait for another 15 days for product to be made available. I was searching for more alternate option & came across this site. I am almost confused with the kind of option i have over the online shopping sites.. :confused::confused:

I read here that this product (IV-300) is very old & doesn't give an accurate level of output as committed.. i.e. 1000W RMS.. I ready few comments that the sound goes wired when the volume is put over 50%..

Can you please suggest me some alternative against this.. Please.. My budget is around 25k but can go upto 30k for something excellent..

Something i looked at was Yamaha 196/299/1810..
If you suggest to buy AV receiver & speaker separately then suggest the best suitable. One more inportant point.. My living room size is 20feet x 18 feet hence do suggest me considering this as well ;)

Hello Team,

I have already booked Sony HT IV-300 recently but as per the vendor, it's out of stock & will have to wait for another 15 days for product to be made available. I was searching for more alternate option & came across this site. I am almost confused with the kind of option i have over the online shopping sites.. :confused::confused:

[/U] ;)

That was your lucky day. You saved yourself from the misery of owning a pseudo HT. Now, your best bet in that budget would be the Yamaha 299. I think it even has an active sub.

Thanks for a quick advise but Yamaha 299 is over my budget. Its is currently sold @34k+

Any other alternative?? LG, Sony, Panasonic?? which is under 30K & sound quality is also good considering my large room size (20x18 feet)

since you are in kochi, why don't to audition yamaha, denon ..brands other than sony, lg ,,,. Search in the forum, you will get places to audition.
For the room size, its better to go for avr+bookshelves.
But you have to stretch the budget.
listen and decide.

Hi Sachin,

For the room size you mentioned, you need a proper AVR with Bookshelf or Bigger speakers.....then only you will enjoy the depth and warmth of music and movies....

HTIBs (Home Theatre in a Box) like Samsung, Panasonic, LG, Philips etc may mention 1000w etc etc....these systems have IC powered amps and their speakers work on 3-6 ohms load.....so there is no actual KICK in the output....

You will need to stretch your budget if you want something nice and punchy...entry level avrs with speakers would start from 32-34k and end in Lakhs......at the end....at all depends on what appeals to you in appearance, performance and your wallet....

all the best....key is to audition as many systems possible to make an informed choice....trust your ears and instincts

Thanks for a quick advise but Yamaha 299 is over my budget. Its is currently sold @34k+

Any other alternative?? LG, Sony, Panasonic?? which is under 30K & sound quality is also good considering my large room size (20x18 feet)

You can also check Onkyo 3700. It is under 30k. As per this forum, it is better than 299 for movies. For music, 299 may be a better option.
I'd suggest auditioning it with the kind of movies or music you listen to.

Out of the lot, do not forget that Yamaha 299 gives you an active subwoofer. Now, that is a game changer. That is why people feel it is the best value right now.

Stay away from Sony, Many, Pany, sammy, LGs and the likes :D. Go for HTiB, that's your best bet when it comes to low budget HTs. Onkyo HTS series and Yamaha YHT 299 are a good start. Also look into the below combination .

1. Denon SYS 5.1 speakers set ...... around 16000
2. Pioneer VSX 329 5.1 AVR ...........around 20000

Trust me if you do not have the money (I think you are short of 5-6K), not much a big amount. Wait couple of months save those 5-6K and then purchase, you will be much much happier and satisfied with your purchase than going for these Sony and Sammies .....:)

Last edited:
Thanks for your advises, i have cancelled the Sony HT order & now will surely go AV + Speakers set but might delay for few days/week as i bought 50" Panasonic (C300-DX) 2 days back (in 48k) so will have to get my wallet filled back before i buy anything else. ;)

I was searching over internet for HTs in past couple of days & here is what i found interesting.. I will be extending my budget till ~55k so please do advise as per.. :)

A. Pioneer VSX-329 - ~22k
B. Pioneer VSX-524 K - ~27.5k
(best suitable speakers sets for above AV receivers - Pioneer SP-1135XS/SP-3335TT/SP-R235VT/SP-7735TT.. I see all these speaker sets has an active sub)

C. Pioneer HTP-RS49 package (Pioneer VSX-329+Pioneer SRS77TB+Pioneer SRS3SW) - ~50k

D. Pioneer HTP-RS49 package (Pioneer VSX-523+Pioneer SRS77TB+Pioneer SRS3SW) - ~61k (bit over budget)

E. Pioneer HTP-523 MKII - ~51k

Also, the LED i purchased doesn't have HDMI RCA (for Audio out to HT) but i see S/PDIF & analog audio out. Will i be able to connect my tv with either of these AV received through S/PDIF?? or i will have to satisfy with ols convectional analog connection??

Please do share your valuable comments so can help me make a decision for buying a good HT :):)

Thanks for your advises, i have cancelled the Sony HT order & now will surely go AV + Speakers set but might delay for few days/week as i bought 50" Panasonic (C300-DX) 2 days back (in 48k) so will have to get my wallet filled back before i buy anything else. ;)

I was searching over internet for HTs in past couple of days & here is what i found interesting.. I will be extending my budget till ~55k so please do advise as per.. :)

A. Pioneer VSX-329 - ~22k
B. Pioneer VSX-524 K - ~27.5k
(best suitable speakers sets for above AV receivers - Pioneer SP-1135XS/SP-3335TT/SP-R235VT/SP-7735TT.. I see all these speaker sets has an active sub)

C. Pioneer HTP-RS49 package (Pioneer VSX-329+Pioneer SRS77TB+Pioneer SRS3SW) - ~50k

D. Pioneer HTP-RS49 package (Pioneer VSX-523+Pioneer SRS77TB+Pioneer SRS3SW) - ~61k (bit over budget)

E. Pioneer HTP-523 MKII - ~51k

Also, the LED i purchased doesn't have HDMI RCA (for Audio out to HT) but i see S/PDIF & analog audio out. Will i be able to connect my tv with either of these AV received through S/PDIF?? or i will have to satisfy with ols convectional analog connection??

Please do share your valuable comments so can help me make a decision for buying a good HT :):)

I have no idea about the Pioneer speakers, so you have to listen and decide. Pioneer AVRs are good no doubt. I have heard Onkyo HTS series and DENON SYS 5.1 speakers and they rock.
Finally about audio, why would you want audio out from TV to AVR, dont you have any media player. HTPC from which you gonna play your content, that should be your Audio out going in to the AVR

@sachinv_81 , If you can grab Metro Manorama Kochi/TVM editions you will see advertisement of a home theater shop somewhere in Kochi. The add usually come every week and I have visited their stall once they demoed it in TVM. Worth searching for that and pay a visit for professional advise. Be careful, as they will definitely push you to extend your budget and go for the best like Marantz, but thats all your choice. :)
If you need help, I can look for that add and get you details

I think this would be better place to post my query, in addition to this http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/48325-just-bought-yamaha-yht-299-a-65.html#post677188

The main issue is My hall is L shaped with TV in the smaller section as shown
7vs7ywozd

There is no space between couch and wall so surround speakers will be above and not behind. Also one side is open. So do you think it is even worth spending on a HTiB like Yamaha YHT-299 or just go for soundbase/bar.
Usage: Mostly for TV viewing by parents. I stay out of town.
Thanks for your suggestions!

Considering the usual hassles of setup and then if anything goes wrong, it would be difficult to handle complexity of avr functions, its better to stick with a good soundbar. However a complete 5.1 will be a different experience altogether.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back