Expert opinion required for 5.1 setup

Sanchitpkl

Hi Everyone,

I am planning to buy a 5.1 setup and confused with a lot of questions in my mind after going through multiple auditions, posts and reviews.

1. Which brand AVR to go for?
My usage is bit tricky 60:40 for Movies and Music (Not skewed towards one). Different websites, dealers, posts suggest different brands: Yamaha, Denon, Marantz for this usage. Please suggest which one to go for in the Below 50k segment.

2. Speakers
So, earlier when I started doing research, I was 100% sure to go for the satellites considering the space constraints. Hence, liked the Elac Cinema 5 for its sound clarity, however, after the next audition, changed the plan to go for Elac Cinema 10 / Klipsch Reference, considering the Living room size of 18 x 16 ft (including open kitchen).

But the last dealer I went to for auditions, changed my mind and created more confusion. He suggested that for such a big Living room size, satellites won't be enough for a immersive experience like the audition room. Thus, he suggested me to go for the Bookshelfs as a must (Absolutely no space for the Tower speakers). I auditioned Q Acoustics 3020i, 3090ci, 3010i and Dali Oberon 3, Vokal (Dealer had only these models in my budget: ~1 Lac for the speakers). I have also seen a lot of positive comments about Polk S20 in this budget.

Need expert opinion on which AVR and bookshelf speakers will fit in my budget range (1.5 lacs including 5.1 AVR) and sound the best for my usage (60:40 for Movies:Music).

Thanks in advance

Look into this video - coveres few basic pointers that might help you form an opinion. Key for a satifsying system is audition. Good luck auditioning.

In Denon 7.1 AVR , all mid models (under 50k) don't have pre-out but they have 80w per channel which is sufficient to run 5.1.2, In marantz mid models comes with 50w per channel. Sometimes you might feel low powered but it have pre-out later you can add a power amp later for LR.

Qacoustics is very good than Polk on your budget. In India Qacoustics is 1 year warranty and Polk is giving 3 years.

In Denon 7.1 AVR , all mid models (under 50k) don't have pre-out but they have 80w per channel which is sufficient to run 5.1.2, In marantz mid models comes with 50w per channel. Sometimes you might feel low powered but it have pre-out later you can add a power amp later for LR.

Qacoustics is very good than Polk on your budget. In India Qacoustics is 1 year warranty and Polk is giving 3 years.
I think Yamaha RV-X685 has front Pre-out. This would be really useful esp. when we use towers in front. Once Front tower load taken out by as PA like Crown XLS 1002, AVR can comfortably serve rest of the 5 speakers. But that's cost around 58 - 60k.

So 2 things according to me.

I feel you don’t have to go by your room size while deciding on what you want to buy. It all boils down to your listening space. One might have a massive living room but his listening / viewing space might not be a same as the room dimensions.

If you are planning on hosting a tower for the fronts, go with an AVR that’s got more juice. Especially if you are planning on buying speakers that is <89db sensitivity with 6ohm or lesser impedance rating. If you are planning on something that has a higher sensitivity and rated 8ohms + if you are adding a sub for then you can choose any AVR. Even a Marantz NR series should keep you happy.

Recently I came across a custom built LCR from IndiqAudio which is rated above 95db can be driven by a tiny AVR like M1509 or Denon 1600 without breaking a sweat and it can fill in even a larger room with good sound. You may have to add a sub for that thumping bass from movies. These speakers are mainly designed for movies but that said, it equals does well for Music.
For surrounds you cab opt in for Polk S10’s and it does a great surround duty. This way, you can get a good 5.1 with excellent room filling sound without loosing the quality at an affordable budget.

All of the speakers you mentioned above are good too. If you are planning on QAcoustics, go in for a good AV Receiver like atleast Denon 2600 and above or any similar spec’d receivers from other brands. They sound really nice when you feed them from a good AVR.

Spend 60% of your budget on speakers, 35% on source and remaining on the rest.

Just my 2 cents.

Happy hunting!

Regards,
Som

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back