Experts Car Sound Processor

fahadco80

Hi,

I really need help on this..

I have a 2009 Nissan GTR with Bose factory audio system, the head unit have only 4 channels going into the Bose amp (front right, front left, rear right and rear left), and the Bose amp synthesis the 4 channels to (3 way front right, 3 way front left, rear right, rear left, centre channel and two subs).

Now if I want to change all my speakers and amp to any different brand, can I use the Alpine PXA-H800 or the 360.3 to input the 4 channels thats coming from the head unit and get the 6 channels? like the factory setup.

Please keep in mind that I am going to use the front's 3 way component speakers with crossover, so they will be on one channel on the new amp, and no plans at all to change or add a new head unit. And I want to keep all factory speakers locations working, I do not want to cancel any of them.

Below are the parts I am planning to install:

1. Hertz [/SIZE]HSK163 3 way component speakers

2. Rear: Hertz DCX87.3 Coaxial Speakers

3. Centre: Hertz HL70 full-range

4. Sub: 1 or 2 Kicker L7 Solo-Baric 8? Subwoofer (depends on the sub's amp below, if it can handle 1 or 2 sub's)

5. Amps: Alpine MRX-V60 for front's rear's and centre (5 channels) and Alpine MRX-M110 for the sub/sub's

Please let me know if I can make the factory 4 channel to 5.1 surround so I can order the items. And what other parts do I need (if I am missing something) to make this setup work?

PS: I attached a photo of my current in and out amp harness that shows the 4 channels in and all the synthesised out channels.

Best regards

Fahad

Attachments

• GTR R35 Bose System Color Coding.jpg
    GTR R35 Bose System Color Coding.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 93
P800 or 360.3 or any other DSP with 8 channel out will work.

But generally, we use the 3 channels for midbass, midrange and tweeter. So, 6 channels for the front alone. That is when you go active. These DSPs can help you to go Active.
If you are using passive, then of course, you can do what you described. Personally, i would prefer firing the fronts in active mode. Especially, the midbass will thank you for the extra pure power. You get tons of tuning option as well. If you don't have an installer who knows how to tune active setup, then passive is advised. You can easily damage your speakers with wrong tuning in active mode.

Hi Fahad,

First of all you can connect the high level inputs to the DSP and from their to each or group of components in the chain.

Not an expert here, but posting a few questions out of Curiosity.
* Are you trying setup a surround sound environment in your car. The reason why I am asking is because you had mentioned 5.1 surround. Setting up Surround sound in a Car would be little challenging IMO.
* IMO it would better to concentrate on the Front stage rather than setting up a surround sound environ.
* If you are going passive in the Front, it would be little challenging to time align all the speakers especially the midbass to mid-range/tweeter. Would suggest you to keep the midbass and Midrange + tweeter seperate and active.
* If you are planning to use all 4 channels from the stock please do a research to identify if all channels would return full spectrum.
* You could go for something other than Kickers for sub.
* Rear coax may not be required unless you travel fully loaded.
* Does your car have a slot for center speakers? Otherwise you might have to hack up the dash.

Venki

Hi Fahad,

First of all you can connect the high level inputs to the DSP and from their to each or group of components in the chain.

Not an expert here, but posting a few questions out of Curiosity.
* Are you trying setup a surround sound environment in your car. The reason why I am asking is because you had mentioned 5.1 surround. Setting up Surround sound in a Car would be little challenging IMO.
* IMO it would better to concentrate on the Front stage rather than setting up a surround sound environ.
* If you are going passive in the Front, it would be little challenging to time align all the speakers especially the midbass to mid-range/tweeter. Would suggest you to keep the midbass and Midrange + tweeter seperate and active.
* If you are planning to use all 4 channels from the stock please do a research to identify if all channels would return full spectrum.
* You could go for something other than Kickers for sub.
* Rear coax may not be required unless you travel fully loaded.
* Does your car have a slot for center speakers? Otherwise you might have to hack up the dash.

Venki

1. I meant by 5.1 to have the speakers setup like the OEM, 5 speaker locations and subs, but now I changed my plan, I ordered Hertz which are listed below:

2x HERTZ ENERGY ES200.5 Subs
1x HERTZ HI-ENERGY HL 70 Center
1x HERTZ DCX87.3 Rear deck
1x HERTZ HCX 690 Rear side walls
1x HERTZ HSK 163 (3 WAY) Doors (front)

2. I prefer to feel the sound from every where, I understand that a lot of people do not agree, but its a different taste from one person to another.

3. Please explain more if you do not mind, I read some post that people installing midrange and tweeters on passive, mid bass on a separate channel, is that what you meant? is there a way to make all my 3 way passive box on one channel?

4. Is there a way to test the wires? Is there a way to use the high level (speaker level) outputs from the factory amp to processor? That way will be keeping the factory amp.

5. Yes, already bought the Hertz, thanks :)

6. As I said before, I would like to use all OEM speakers locations and want the sound to feel like surrounds me :)

7. Yes, there is a factory centre channel already.

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Fahad

1. I meant by 5.1 to have the speakers setup like the OEM, 5 speaker locations and subs, but now I changed my plan, I ordered Hertz which are listed below:

2x HERTZ ENERGY ES200.5 Subs
1x HERTZ HI-ENERGY HL 70 Center
1x HERTZ DCX87.3 Rear deck
1x HERTZ HCX 690 Rear side walls
1x HERTZ HSK 163 (3 WAY) Doors (front)

Venki >> IMO you could add the Rear Deck and Rear Side walls later which together IMO would be a overkill :p. You could instead focus on getting a 6 ch DSP which would give you much more benefit

2. I prefer to feel the sound from every where, I understand that a lot of people do not agree, but its a different taste from one person to another.

Venki>>:). Sound coming from everywhere would cause the music to sound little odd or to say less musical. To put it in perspective, it would sound like the singer is singing from back as well as from the front so it might muddy up the overall sound. If you are trying to achieve what you get in a movie theatre it would follow a totally different design. Having said that I would (still :)) suggest you start with the fronts and sub stage listen to it before investing on the rear set of speakers.

3. Please explain more if you do not mind, I read some post that people installing midrange and tweeters on passive, mid bass on a separate channel, is that what you meant? is there a way to make all my 3 way passive box on one channel?
Venki>>Yes you could do that, this is what I did with my setup. Passives on tweeter + Mids and active between the midbass. You can go all passive for a three way but the only challenge would be to get all three to sing together especially if the midbass is on the door pads and the other two are on the A-pillar. Things would be looot better if you install all three on the same plane (say on the door pad itself) this would allow you to stick to all passive setup.

4. Is there a way to test the wires? Is there a way to use the high level (speaker level) outputs from the factory amp to processor? That way will be keeping the factory amp.
Venki >>You can if you have a dummy load resistor (4 ohm), attenuator (say 1/20 (connect a 20k + 1 k resistor after the dummy load and take the output from the 1k to gnd point, sound card and measuring softwares like REW, if you are interested in knowing more I can write up something little more detail.

5. Yes, already bought the Hertz, thanks :)
Venki >> Are you looking for an SPL setup? I see two hertz subs :)

6. As I said before, I would like to use all OEM speakers locations and want the sound to feel like surrounds me :)
Venki >> IMO OEM might be mixing the channels to act as surround speakers already. So may be that is why you are liking the music now (I guess). I would suggest you go around listen to various setup, meetup with few folks who have decent setup then take a decision on whether to go for the surround thing

7. Yes, there is a factory centre channel already.

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Fahad

Please find my replies inline. As i said I am just a DIY enthusiast (did I :p) and not an expert in this field. There are other forums specific to car audio where you would definitely find experts (and some who claim to be :p). Probably positing their might give you much more answers and get you more confused.

Cheers,
Venki

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back