exploring PLL tuned radio and shortwave

kaushik

Any one remember the 10 band , 7 band cheap radios ..
with black or silver colors ...
I still feel those used to give better reception than a 2 band
PHILIPS radio..

But those multibands died because of poor components ..
no one likes them also the tuning part.

I was just thinking of keeping PLL reciever someday, with digital preset memory...and exploring shortwave...

...sony good old ICF-SW7600GR series were there ..now stopped i guess ...any good portable receivers PLL ?

Hi,

Ashok(AKS07) is the man to to contact for all matters regarding shortwave and PLL tuned radios.He is the GURU.

Thanks to him I have been revisiting the joys of SW radio these past couple of days.The sound (especially vocals) from this old tube radio is so natural and easy to listen to.

Listening to the BBC,VOA etc,on Ashok's tube radio brought back a flood of memories of my Dad and me sitting up late into the night during the late 60's early 70's listening to test match commentaries.The green EM80 tuning eye tube continues to facinate me even now as it did back then.

Regards
Rajiv

the tuning eye is mysterious.. cool object ..i went to youtube and was amazed by it ..

i will pm ashok,

valve set is not a possibility ...just a tiny PLL unit will be good...

Hi,

The radio isn't mine.Its Ashok's.

It's in transit through Madras on its way to Ashok.I am enjoying it for a few days before it I send it across to him.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi,

You can try to get hold of a grundig yb, sangean, sony, drake etc or world war II bc 348, AR 88, HRO. If you are interested, I will give some reference you may get in touch with them.

I had opportunity to listen to a JRC 535 receiver at Bangalore. The reception quality was awesome. If you are interested we can go there one day.

Rajiv as usual has flattering words, but SW radio (and DXing) is such a thing that Gurus are humbled pretty quick ;)

A SONY ICF-SW7600GR should be a great radio to rediscover SW. I too have read reports of its impending close out, but it was seen at Singapore Changi Airport Duty free. This radio is the best of the lot (it that price bracket) some features such as Synch lock and SSB operation and only come in much expensive and larger radios. In fact right now as I type this, my SONY ICF-SW7600GR on and I am hearing a very animated ragchew in the 40 meter amateur band using nothing more than the standard whip antenna The SSB is priceless in catching ham and CV communication.

For SWL, radio set is just half of the picture. In order to truly realise the potential you will need to investigate a proper Antenna. Thats another issue and we shall tackle that when the time comes.

Did you search ebay for a SONY ICF-SW7600GR? This is the only portable radio in its class that is still made in Japan while others have shifted base to China.

PS: thanks pksnathan for PMing me about this thread.

that is amazing u already have it!

SONY ICF-SW7600GR is 9k from ebay with customs..need to ask some one to pick it from US

PMed ,then saw this thread

At Rs. 9K it seems a good price. I remember paying about that much without any custom as it came with the baggage. I had bought the SONY from Singapore about 5 years ago. Prior to that I was using a mid 70s SONY portable that was slightly smaller than the current one. It finally died necessitating buying the SONY ICF CF-SW7600GR.

Another good portable PLL would be The Sangean ATS909. It has slightly more features than SONY 7600GR and looks equally well built. Apparently some years ago All India Radio issues this set to its TX stations to monitor each others broadcast. If true then it would have been an interesting switch from the Hellicrafters they were using for the purpose from time immortal !

On an average I listen to SW around 5 hours each day. I take the SONY to my office where I have installed a small active loop antenna (DIY ofcource) where it brings in the world while I am at work. At home I use a valve radio to pull in stations like the Vividh Bharati (TX from Banglore on a monster 500Kw rig) and its treasure trove of old music. From 9 to about 11pm I listen to BBC and try some easy DXing with the SONY. I cant sing enough praise for this little marvel.

Hi,

You can try to get hold of a grundig yb, sangean, sony, drake etc or world war II bc 348, AR 88, HRO. If you are interested, I will give some reference you may get in touch with them.

I had opportunity to listen to a JRC 535 receiver at Bangalore. The reception quality was awesome. If you are interested we can go there one day.

Simply 'got lucky' situation if i can listen to JRC 535 ....
buswal .. just inform me when we can go to the owners place... :)

I was just checking out my yahoogroup weekly digest and noticed that some members have recently bought the new Sony ICF-SW7600GR for $126.57 from Amazon. It seems to be a hot item and some guys have bought multiple numbers just to last them thro a lifetime !

Interested folks might like to check out Amazon.

I was just checking out my yahoogroup weekly digest and noticed that some members have recently bought the new Sony ICF-SW7600GR for $126.57 from Amazon. It seems to be a hot item and some guys have bought multiple numbers just to last them thro a lifetime !

Interested folks might like to check out Amazon.

Or from 20north, if they prefer, for as less as 8K:

Shop in the US from India @ 20North - Sony ICF-SW7600GR AM/FM Shortwave World Band Receiver with Single Side Band Reception : Electronics

thank you grubby..
i have seen some sony PLL for less here at gray market
may have to pick one with less features..i know a reliable seller
[hope at least SW features same as CF-SW7600GR ]
B&H Photo store selling at 100$ ..
ICF CF-SW7600GR is a dream..until funds accumulate :)

Last edited:
thank you grubby..
i have seen some sony PLL for less here at gray market
may have to pick one with less features..i know a reliable seller
[hope at least SW features same as CF-SW7600GR ]
B&H Photo store selling at 100$ ..
ICF CF-SW7600GR is a dream..until funds accumulate :)

Any chance your 'gray' dealer might have the SWF7600?

thats splendid news indeed. But judging by the postings on the 20north.com thread, ordering on them seems to be a game of russian roulette.;)

i am sincerely hoping that the nice guys at 20north get a better grip on affairs, as i have my eyes set on a couple of items at their webpage.

+1 ;)

Any chance your 'gray' dealer might have the SWF7600?
Highly unlikely. SWF7600 was phased out long ago. You may have better luck finding the successor GR although this model too seem to be in life support. If the reports of its impeding demises are correct, then options in quality SW radio will be limited to Chinese junk. No wonder people are snapping up multiple orders so much so that Amazon has hiked the price!

Its just incredible that such a high quality, Japanese built product with many professional features can be priced so attractively. It is generally believed that one of the top guys in SONY is/was a SWL enthusiast and the SWF7600GR users pestered him to let the model continue for so long while still being made fully in Japan. But I guess economics dont support this radio anymore and with its end one of the best product SONY ever made would also be over.

Highly unlikely. SWF7600 was phased out long ago. You may have better luck finding the successor GR although this model too seem to be in life support. If the reports of its impeding demises are correct, then options in quality SW radio will be limited to Chinese junk. No wonder people are snapping up multiple orders so much so that Amazon has hiked the price!

Its just incredible that such a high quality, Japanese built product with many professional features can be priced so attractively. It is generally believed that one of the top guys in SONY is/was a SWL enthusiast and the SWF7600GR users pestered him to let the model continue for so long while still being made fully in Japan. But I guess economics dont support this radio anymore and with its end one of the best product SONY ever made would also be over.

Sir,
Are there any brands available equivalent to SWF 7600 in India?Kindly let me know.
Thanking you,
pksnathan.

D/s

I havent checked lately, but about 6 or 7 years ago, when I was in a lookout for PLL radio there was none available in the grey market ready off the shelf.

If the 20north company can deliver then there are many options. As per reports Sangean ATS performs well so you may like to put that in your list.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back