Extremely low bass || Yamaha YTH 196

rohittheame

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and need help in configuring Yamaha YTH 196, it came with five satellite speakers and a passive sub woofer, bought it few days ago from a friend.

Connected it with my laptop (Dell Inspiron 3505) with HDMI cable to HDMI port1 at the back of the console and played songs from YouTube. To my surprise, the bass is extremely low.

Please suggest if I have to make some changes in the settings to get a good bass out of it.

I went through the set up and found cross over frequency is set to 90 mhz, increasing or decreasing it does not make any difference. Satellite speakers are set to "small". Speakers clarity is good but I'm not happy with the bass at all.

There is an option of extra bass but it set to "off" and I cannot change it to "on".

My room is 10×12 feet.

I do not want to spend any more in buying another woofer and sound system.

Please bear with me as I'm still learning and may sound naive.

Any help/advice/suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Rohit Gupta

Since SW size is 6.5in, it cannot output powerful bass. Still if sw is placed @ corner or under furniture, there is possibility that bass may improve. In bass settings, LFE + main helps. Also there is may extra/double bass feature.

Thank you for the suggestion. However, it did not make any difference when placed at the corner.

I cannot even return the product anymore.

I had Philips 5.1 home theater system, bought at 6000, 08 years ago, bass was much better than Yamaha sub woofer. I thought this product will give a good bass but it is a big let down.

Please suggest any changes in the settings to get a good bass.

Regards,
Rohit Gupta

Please suggest if I have to make some changes in the settings to get a good bass out of it.
Is the sub woofer working? Can you hear any bass at all from the sub woofer? Place your ear close to the unit and check.
Confirm if you have wired the sub woofer to the correct terminal, with correct polarity.
Download and read the User manual for your YHT-196
Check if Sub woofer is enabled.
Extra Bass should be Off.
Flip the Sub woofer Phase between Normal and Reverse and spend some time listening. One of these positions will sound right.
Cross over at 80Hz
Adjust the sub woofer volume.
Turn off Dynamic Range Compression

Positioning is the key in a small room. I too was experiencing unsatisfactory bass in a small room (10X11). I tried all types of setting changes but nothing worked. I later realized that some parts of the room were already getting great bass sound. This made me realize that the subwoofer/settings is not the culprit. Instead, sound wavelength, room size, reflections and corresponding sitting position have a bigger play. I tried several subwoofer placements over a course of few weeks. Finally found a suitable place for subwoofer that gave me best sound at my sitting position.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back