Feedback on home theater set up

neerajkadyan

Hey guys - I have a living room about 12x24x11(lxbxh). I primarily watch movies (90%) on my 50"TV through Netflix, etc. I was planning to buy Denon 550bt avr (30k), the best offer on Denon 1400h is 45k.
For speakers, I am inclined more towards S20 than S15 for front, and S30 for center. These sound good and look good. Alternate seem to be Klipsch R-15m, but they are 1.5 times the price of Polk's. The copper cones look too good.
I don't feel a need for rear speakers, but will add those later. For subwoofer, I heard good feedback for BIC F12(34k) And PL200(44k). I am inclined towards F12 as PL200 maybe an overkill for my requirements.
Can you guys give your comments on
  1. AVR - am I being stingy with 550bt or is it sufficient for me. I have no plans to upgrade to 7.1. Does it has sufficient power to support S20s.
  2. Will I be missing much in opting for F12 instead of pl200.
  3. If I go in stages, can avr + center S30 hold good without the fronts. Or, I should buy front and center together.

Hey guys - I have a living room about 12x24x11(lxbxh). I primarily watch movies (90%) on my 50"TV through Netflix, etc. I was planning to buy Denon 550bt avr (30k), the best offer on Denon 1400h is 45k.
For speakers, I am inclined more towards S20 than S15 for front, and S30 for center. These sound good and look good. Alternate seem to be Klipsch R-15m, but they are 1.5 times the price of Polk's. The copper cones look too good.
I don't feel a need for rear speakers, but will add those later. For subwoofer, I heard good feedback for BIC F12(34k) And PL200(44k). I am inclined towards F12 as PL200 maybe an overkill for my requirements.
Can you guys give your comments on
  1. AVR - am I being stingy with 550bt or is it sufficient for me. I have no plans to upgrade to 7.1. Does it has sufficient power to support S20s.
  2. Will I be missing much in opting for F12 instead of pl200.
  3. If I go in stages, can avr + center S30 hold good without the fronts. Or, I should buy front and center together.
PL 200 will be more powerful and better for movies. I dont think you can play only with the center. Best is you set up a good 2.1 first. Go for the denon 1400 and polk s20 along with the bic pl 200-ii. Also you can shortlist the polk HTS 12 which you can get for a lower price then the BIC. Hope you have shortlisted those products after audition if not please audition a lot of brands that falls in your budget.

Build your system in steps by step
  • first 2.0 ( Front Left and Right )
  • Add Sun woofer 2.1
  • Add Center channel 3.1
  • Add Rear Surround 5.1

Hi,

Build your setup in stages. If you get the 550, you'll be hunting to upgrade very soon. Look at the denon X series or even a marantz nr series.

Start with just the fronts or fronts + sub. Then get the rear for surround. Add a centre if you feel the need for it. Without centre speaker, the front speakers get the centre channel signal. You cannot use centre without fronts.

MaSh

Hi,

Build your setup in stages. If you get the 550, you'll be hunting to upgrade very soon. Look at the denon X series or even a marantz nr series.

Start with just the fronts or fronts + sub. Then get the rear for surround. Add a centre if you feel the need for it. Without centre speaker, the front speakers get the centre channel signal. You cannot use centre without fronts.

MaSh
Why do you recommend 1400 over 550 - is it because of 7.1 capability?

Why do you recommend 1400 over 550 - is it because of 7.1 capability?
550 is a basic avr. The 1400 is more powerful and has more features. 550 doesn’t even have Audyssey which will make your calibration hard. So in short the 1400 will sound better and drive the speakers better. Even for a 5.1 set up the 1400/1500 would do a way better job then the 550. But if you are going to set up in a small room with small nd basic speakers the 550 is more then enough

Last edited:
I have a living room about 12x24x11(lxbxh)

Hope you meant 12x24x11(BxLxH)..

I primarily watch movies (90%)

For subwoofer, I heard good feedback for BIC F12(34k) And PL200(44k). I am inclined towards F12 as PL200 maybe an overkill for my requirements

You room seems large, you will need at-least dual subs.. Settle for any dual subs, preferably identical subs in your budget..

AVR - am I being stingy with 550bt or is it sufficient for me. I have no plans to upgrade to 7.1. Does it has sufficient power to support S20s.

If you have no plans for Atmos, then good to settle for a 5.1 AVR..

Will I be missing much in opting for F12 instead of pl200.

Don't worry abt what you will be missing, rather consider enjoying solid bass by using dual subs for your room..

If I go in stages, can avr + center S30 hold good without the fronts. Or, I should buy front and center together.

I think you can settle for 3.2 set-up.. Fronts & dual subwoofeers..

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back