Feedback on "Instrumental India" CD collection

abhinav

Hi,

Any feedback on the collection "Instrumental India" - Pt. Ravi Shankar, Ustaad Zakir Hussain, Pt. Hariprasad Chuarasia, Pt. Shivkumar Sharma, U. Srinivas ?

(Flipkart link)

Saw this on flipkart. I do not know much regarding classical music, but wanted to start listening to some good indiaan instrumental like Sitar, Flute etc.

Any other "must-have" titles for someone just starting out ?

Thanks !

Any feedback on the collection "Instrumental India"...
Collections like this will not satisfy you if you get the classical bug --- but they may well help you in getting it. By sampling this and that, they will help you to know what your early purchases of individual artists should be.

This collection is almost entirely Hindustani. Finding a collection of Carnatic artists to sample will help to keep the horizons wide, until you decide which direction to take. Not, of course, that you need to end up being restrictive! If you like everything, then listen to everything :D

Hi Abinav. If you want to hear Hindustani classical you can start with Albums from Ustad. Zakir Hussian, Pt.Hari Prasad Chaurasia,Pt.Shiv Kumar Sharma and then you can move on to Vocals from Vidushi Kishore Amonkar, Pt.Bhimsen Joshi, Pt.Jasraj. By listening to all these great artist you will come to know something about Hindustani classical and you will never stop in investing in these CD's and will at one stage stop listening to the Pop and Rock etc. etc.

You can buy any of the Hindustani Albums and you will never regret spending Rs.300/-.

If you are want even more knowledge about Hindustani Ping Asit and he will assist you and Ping Thad for Carnatic Classic.

Regards

Asit is expert in both. There is a great thread on South Indian Classical Music

I just sit in the audience and enjoy :eek: :)

(But thanks for the vote of confidence: appreciated although not deserved. Actually I find myself listening to a fairly small group of artists just now, so I'm probably not a great one for recommendations)

Abhinav,

I had a look at the CD set in crossword today. It seems like a nice marketing effort, attractively packaged. But it gives out very little details on when these were recorded and other things.

If you are looking at a starter pack, this certainly is cheap and that may help. I am not able to see any other pluses apart from it.

If you are looking for a good CDs to start your classical music journey, you may want to look at the following.

1. Chinnanchiru Kiliye by U Shrinvas (excellent mandolin collection of popular Bharathiyar songs)
2. Flute Ecstasy - Hariprasad Chaurasia, a collection of reasonably short renditions (roughly ten minutes each, which is quite short for Hindustani music)
3. Thyagaraja Masterpieces by Mysore Doreswamy Iyengar - Veena - It converted my tastes
4. Thillanas - Dance of Sound, Lalgudi Jayaraman
5. Light tunes from Benares - N Rajam - Violin (Hindustani)
6. Ravishankar Collection - East Meets West
7. Raga Mala - Ravishankar and Zubin Mehta

These will cost you much more than 500Rs but will be a guaranteed listening pleasure.

An alternative is to look out for the 16CD instrumental collection from Music Today. In airports it is available for about 1300Rs and is certainly worth it.

Back