Feedback on Yamaha A-S500

mayukh80

hi forum members,

I got a call from a dealer informing about an unit of Yamaha A-S500.

Read a few reviews online but I would bank more upon the members before i go for an audition.

I had the AS 500. It is an excellent amp and is my personal preference over Marantz 6006 at about the same price level.

I have As500 amp. It is very clean sounding amplifier with good power. It sounds good with warm speakers. I use it with Wharfedale 10.2 BS speakers and Allo Boss 1.2 player. I am very happy with this set up.

I am a happy AS-500 owner. I had Marantz PM6004 which I didn't like because of the muffled mid-range. Though, the bass is slightly better in Marantz PM 6004 because of its 'loudness' button. Yamaha AS-500 has variable loudness control which acts differently. Yamaha AS-500 delivers 85W/channel in 8 ohms. You need to consider that AS-500 is an outdated model. It's been replaced by AS-501. I guess that the dealer is offering you a pre-owned unit; so before you seal the deal, check everything.

I am a happy AS-500 owner. I had Marantz PM6004 which I didn't like because of the muffled mid-range. Though, the bass is slightly better in Marantz PM 6004 because of its 'loudness' button. Yamaha AS-500 has variable loudness control which acts differently. Yamaha AS-500 delivers 85W/channel in 8 ohms. You need to consider that AS-500 is an outdated model. It's been replaced by AS-501. I guess that the dealer is offering you a pre-owned unit; so before you seal the deal, check everything.
Thanks for your inputs. The dealer informed me that it was pre-owned and asked me to audition it with my existing speakers. I have not decided yet. But these feedback will definitely help me to decide.

This model is not very old. So even if it is preowned and good condition, it is a very good amplifier for stereo.

IMO auditions should always be done with an open mind , before reading any reviews. Since you’ve got the chance to pair it with your speakers only you are in the best position to judge these against your CA.

Wanted to inquire about Yamaha dealers in Delhi ncr where the AS series is available? Have been trying to figure this but not come across any dealer for this. Considering the AS 501

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back