Final upgrade

Congrats Prem! IMHO the EMT 950 built in phono is very hard to beat. I am sure you can dial in the sound on Thoress with its variable equalisation and get similar EMT house sound.

Please let me know how it goes in your setup. I will not be averse to buying a Thoress.

Congratulations on the Thoress!
Very good reviews all around from what I have seen.

It was interesting to read about the RIAA curves and phono stages etc.
The Thoress should be a lot of fun to hear when you get it.

Once used to a 15 inch driver, I don’t see going back ever to a 10 or 12 inch driver. So even if I do change it will be high efficiency 15 inch driver stuff. So the amp should have no problem.
Agree. I am used to my speakers/Subwoofers with Beyma drivers. I don't think I can go back to any home speakers.

As per the manufacturers' spec sheet these speakers cover from 40Hz to 18KHz. But I don't feel the to go for subsonic bass or hypersonic HF.

It's like"सौ सुनार की एक लोहार की"

I would hazard a guess that cos like JBL understate their specs and due to their studio background reproduce the full range needed for most music very well. eg the ATC SCM 50 which I have heard publish a spec of 38Hz at -6dB and anyone who has heard them will vouch for the quality and quantity of the bass.

Even hearing a 4343 on You tube you do get the wholesome feeing of Bass..perhaps only the larger 4350 in the 43 series or the giant K2 series might do that better but then again they will need really large rooms as well !

I am using an Ahuja 12" Pro audio speakers and have mixed opinion about them.These are for mid-bass around 100 Hz to 400 Hz. I prefer using a first order crossover, but due to peaky response of this woofer, I was forced to use a second order filter. I may some time later replace these with a 12" Guitar soeaker as currently I have exhausted all my budget for any modifications.

Perhaps the range they are used in is not optimal? In any case I am sure you will agree there are better pro drivers in general than Ahuja.

A 12" guitar speaker would likely have a lot of tone, and might be subjectively preferable.

The JBL I have is from 35 hz. It seems more than enough.

Have you taken any measurements or are you talking about published specs?

Published specs. It’s 35-20000 hz plus minus 3 dB. It’s a studio monitor.

This same info is also there on the JBL PRO site somewhere

Hi Prem, congratulations and wishing you long hours of listening pleasure.
Being in the film line, no urge to have a HT in the comforts of your home ?

Regards,
Nitin

Once used to a 15 inch driver, I don’t see going back ever to a 10 or 12 inch driver. So even if I do change it will be high efficiency 15 inch driver stuff. So the amp should have no problem.
I agree, the large drivers are something that you can never replace. A potential loudspeaker brand that you may want to check out is pure audio project. Will work brilliantly with that amp. Full range sound, absolutely brilliant tone, box free - tight - textured and detailed bass.

I heard the PAP speakers. I didn’t like them. Scored on hifi stuff but something not right about it musically to my ears

The one with the Voxativ. The Voxativ to my ears is not a musical driver at all. It just ticks all the hifi stuff.

Perhaps the range they are used in is not optimal? In any case I am sure you will agree there are better pro drivers in general than Ahuja.

A 12" guitar speaker would likely have a lot of tone, and might be subjectively preferable.
I selected the Ahuja purely on the budget constraints - nothing else. The paper cones of the Ahuja's are not refined and can sound harsh. Meant for novice users. I do agree that the Guitar speakers might have its classic tone and hence am unable to decide on them too. Its difficult for me to get a decent mid-bass driver on a budget that could match in level with my full-rangers.

I selected the Ahuja purely on the budget constraints - nothing else. The paper cones of the Ahuja's are not refined and can sound harsh. Meant for novice users. I do agree that the Guitar speakers might have its classic tone and hence am unable to decide on them too. Its difficult for me to get a decent mid-bass driver on a budget that could match in level with my full-rangers.

Maybe not the Ahuja but I think paper cones are good. You can try Eminence, some of their drivers are budget oriented and sound good.

Hari, Tang Band drivers may be worth checking. They are around 10k for a mid bass /bass driver. It uses paper as cone material. I don’t know if Eminence is cheaper. They too are good drivers

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back