Finally...bought it.... Sony 40EX520

anfjavid: SUbtitle support is there. I have played few Hindi and English movies with subtitle ON. Also we can select 4 font types for subtitle.

USB playback is a problem. TV supports very few formats only when compared to Samsung or LG.

Guys,
I checked EX720 at the show room trichy today. I cannot spot much difference between the 100Hz(XR200) of EX720 and the 50Hz of EX520 in fast action. However, having seen the demo on EX720 with and without motion flow, I feel its better to go for minimum 100 Hz refresh rate.

What impressed me was the 3D in EX720. Though we cant watch it forlonger duration, kids will definitely enjoy the once in a while 3D movies. But, is it worth a 15000 rupees extra than EX520? EX520 costs 65K and EX720 costs 80K. If EX620 is introduced in India, then it will be priced between these two models and just above the price of EX710. Should be around 72 K. In any case I need 100 hz refresh rate. So no need to wait for Ex620 and I feel its better go for EX720.

Guys, what do you feel? Any other suggestions,pls do post. Thanks.

Sorry to post in an old thread/ I recently got this TV from malaysia. I need to bring it from kerala to bangalore. One question to all owners will it fit in the back seat of a maruti swift?

Hi anandk..I am also thinking of buying the same tv set. Can u please enlighten me regarding performance of fast moving picture? Thanks.

adder and anandk I am getting some information that ex520 model can't handle fast image..you can see judder..and blurry image. Please confirm if it's true.

Hi Lake,
I (and two of my friends) bought 40" EX520 during end of Oct 2011. I have simultaneously compared EX520 along with all Samsung series 5, LG 42" 3D 5700 (or 5500 - I dont exactly remember the model number now). The LG 3D TV was the one with ordinary 3D glasses which will not strain your eyes and had best refresh rate in my opinion.

To test we carried two USB pen drives with same HD/SD contents.
1. color depth, clarity, rendering - sony > LG > samsung
We watched one of the HD videos where it was shot in front of one of the walls of some fort. The wall is built with pieces of large stones blocks and glued with white mortar. Sony was spot on to render it properly and you will understand that it is a fort. LG was too good in this department. However, Samy messed it up and display was very bright in some spots (mortar) and face of the male/female characters in the video was pale/yellowish.
2. brightness, contrast - Samsung > LG > sony
Samsung was brighter than the rest. We tried to adjust video/display settings of all TVs samsung stood out. I think this is sometimes an overkill - There was video of a gentleman closeup shot where I could differentiate the face with the clean shaved (mostach/beard) upper lip, chin etc in Sony and LG but not in Samsung. It was all pale/yellowish.
3. Sound - Sony > LG > Samsung
In samsung until 40 points, volume increases after that nothing happened noticeable until 100. In Sony until 90 points, volume increases. I dont remember what was it with LG and definitely better than Samsung I suppose.
4. Media support - Samsung > LG > Sony
Sony does not support a lot - especially the MKVs, NTFS support. You are limited by connecting only upto 32GB (correct me if I am wrong) thru USB as Ext-FAT3 supports only upto 32GB.
5. Fast vidoes - LG > Sony/Samsung
Running billboards, news etc LG was better. The same when viewed on Sony/Samsung there was some drag at the end of each word.But then it has better refresh rate than Sony and Samsung. However, I did not see any difference while watching Fast&Furious and other similar action movie clips.
6. Price and offer - Samsung > Sony > LG
Diwali offers + we were buying appliances worth 3.5L - hence got very good offer on all the things we bought. Hence this parameter might not be true comparison to rate the TVs. We decided on ex520 or LG 3D and dropped samsung from the list.

I choose Sony for the following reasons:
1. My personal opinion that 3D technology (both hardware and software) is still evolving. I can wait for some more time before bringing it home.
2. The price difference after the offers for Sony ex520 and the LG was about 14k.
3. Last but not the least - I visualize TV as a viewing apparatus. A TV should do that properly, then add MKV support, NTFS support .... what else... emergency light (pun intended) etc. I mean all these can be done in various other ways - media player, HTPC etc which I anyway plan to do irrespective of features of TV because after couple of years there will someother format that might be popular that is not/cannot be supported.
4. 60k for ex520

After purchase:
1. SD and HD both are stunning - no regrets in bringing home ex520
2. Wallmounting this TV leaves very less space to connect your cables. The Samy was probably better in this department where the connecters are on the side while sony's is right behind.

Hope this helps in deciding your purchase. However, compare more than two TVs next to each other by watching the same video, adjusting TV settings etc - Since you are going to park a good 50k plus, the test drive is worth it.

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply ravi. I actually visited showroom today and found out that sony got motion lag but color was awesome far better than samsung or lg. I am actually trying to get 40 inch ex650 which is a new model where motion lag is much less. I got a view of 32 inch of that model.
I actually support your view of a tv doing everything like playing media file and all that. I mean come on what bluray player,media players are for.

Lake,
Personally I suggest 46" or bigger if the distance more than 10feet. But if you are vitamin-M deficient (like me :) ) then 40".
demo the TV you intend to buy (rather than 32") and maintain about the same distance from TV as you will at your home when installed. This way you will evaluate the TV that is practical for you.

BTW, I am planning to buy a different wallmount for my 40ex520.

Got 40 inch Sony EX520 led tv @ Rs.60000 today. Will be delivered tomorrow...super excited about it.
And who cares if a tv can't play mkv..cause there are bluray player, media players to do that. Many inbuilt tv media players are unable to play some mkvs if they're encoded with high reframes...more than 6.

Got 40 inch Sony EX520 led tv @ Rs.60000 today. Will be delivered tomorrow...super excited about it.
And who cares if a tv can't play mkv..cause there are bluray player, media players to do that. Many inbuilt tv media players are unable to play some mkvs if they're encoded with high reframes...more than 6.

Lol. Already sony comes with a bloody price plus buying a bluray player is not a good.value for money thing. The awesome thing is all other tv plays mkv and new samsung tv plays .ts as well. Panel comes from sharp or samsung.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

^^ Yup at this price point it might feel as higher. But consider the fact that it is having better PQ that other brands you mentioned. Another disadvantage is the motion lag due to 50HZ refresh rate. Will it make any difference with the current HT transmission in India? Owners can you clarify?

^^ Yup at this price point it might feel as higher. But consider the fact that it is having better PQ that other brands you mentioned. Another disadvantage is the motion lag due to 50HZ refresh rate. Will it make any difference with the current HT transmission in India? Owners can you clarify?

what do u mean my HT transmission... do you mean HD?
please see my review and buying experience of 40ex520 at http://www.hifivision.com/television/16749-finally-bought-sony-40ex520-3.html#post369119

congrats bud ... I recommend stabilizer if the place where you live is susceptible for voltage fluctuations

Compare it with a pana led and you can decide and stand at an extreme angle and watch pq.

what do u mean my HT transmission... do you mean HD?
please see my review and buying experience of 40ex520 at http://www.hifivision.com/television/16749-finally-bought-sony-40ex520-3.html#post369119

Sorry for that.I mean HD. Your thread answered my question.

Compare it with a pana led and you can decide and stand at an extreme angle and watch pq.

I dont think many will prefer Pana LED. When it come to Plasma its panasonic and LED Samsung/LG/Sony. Can you mentioned the model number and price here?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back