Finally got HDR right - Samsung

superczar

While this is a rant on the so called professional reviewers, the outcome is a happy one.
Even if your TV is a LG or a Sony or any other, this may still be applicable.

The TV in question is a 2016 Samsung 9 series - 55JS9000 curved SUHD (?) -
Back in that timeframe, this was one of best rated/reviewed sets for the year.

When I goth the TV, there was very limited HDR content available but SDR looked fab - both in 1080p and 4k and I was happy with the purchase.
As HDR started getting common,I tried a few movies but the result was underwhelming (dull PQ - probably more detail but the dull output was a turn-off)
I tried HDR on Netflix/Prime/BR (with existing settings) via an ATV 4K, Fire TV4K and the native app on the TV but the washed out effect would get me to turn it off each time.
I assumed that my TV is too old to handle HDR well
And that's how I left it for well over 2 years!

And then, a couple of days ago, I was testing some ATMOS enabled videos and kind of accidentally ran into the realisation that Setting color space to native and enabling dynamic contrast to high yielded a picture on a Altered Carbon HDR re-run so vibrant and detailed that I had thought (and was actually contemplating ) would require a TV upgrade :)

What I had not accounted for is that based on multiple online review recommendations, I had turned off dynamic contrast (DC henceforth) altogether.
After all , any post processing at the user end is evil and a kitten dies each time you attempt something so vile!

PS: To be honest, DC on or off didn't really make much of a noticeable difference in SDR content and I could have left it either way so I left it off in the assumption that DC off will give me better color accuracy

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back