Finally - the setup to improve my listening experience

vkhandelwal

I have been a music lover for more than 20-25 years. Love to listen Hindi classics from greats like R.D Burman , Kishore Kumar , Mohd Rafi , Jagjit Singh, Mark Knopfler, Eric Clapton , Yanni, to Kailsah Kher, and Arijit Singh . Mostly songs from 60s to 90s.

I used to think that HMV ( Saregams now ) did a really bad work in maintaining and preserving these classics. Despite the fact that they still are earning a lot by selling the tracks through various platforms and devices such as caravan they never cared to improve. I had given up and was thinking that we have to live with this.

there were options of going the vinyl way but as we know that not every movie had all good songs and changing the discs or vinyl every 10-15 minutes was not convenient hence was relying mostly on digital collection and players.

and then I used the same source for a new tiny speaker Beoplay A1 by B&O . I was surprised to hear some low end on the songs without disturbing the vocals or midrange. The upper frequencies were mostly missing in the earlier recordings or may be it was lost to suppress the hissing or static noise. so it was still not there but the vocals and supporting instruments were sounding nice and warm. despite having many speakers, headphones I kept going to the A1 and enjoying the old songs on it

audio bug in me bit me again and I started exploring the options to have an amplified version of the setup similar to the sound signature . I am extremely happy to share that I am almost there. below is what I have done till now

Improving the Source - The Tidal Magic

The Tidal Magic - After exploring various options ( have been using , Apple music, Amazon Prime, Gaana, tracks purchased from Saragama and so called HD , Along with tracks converted from purchased CD) Tried the songs from Tidal. I was blown away with the quality of tracks there. I am considering that they might have sourced it from saregama , Universal music etc..) . they have still not launched in India but despite that they have better quality than the platforms mentioned above and their collection is good.

The Transport Upgrade - Bluesound Node 2i
the Squeezebox touch which I used to have was discontinued and it does not support newer streaming platforms. I looked for a streamer which can support tidal natively and concluded by getting Bluesound node 2i .

AMP - Marantz continues
I had Marantz 7004 amp and though that I should continue with considering it has a sound signature which I like.

Speakers - The Wharfedale factor
I was having Wharfedale diamond 220 . one of the mid woofer driver was blown and I thought that it was signal to get the speaker replaced too :)
was searching for a pair to go well with my kind of music. I tried Monitor Audio RX6 floor stander which I have. It lacked clarity which I was used to from Wharfedale. As I was limited for auditioning options due to Lockdown and my location I decided to go with Wharfedale Evo 4.1. was confused between 4.2 and 4.1 ( 2 way vs 3 way ) 5 inch driver vs 6.5 inch driver . but at the end decided to go with 4.1.

The Low range Enhancement - Subwoofer
Now the bass response of Evo 4.1 is certainly better than diamond 220 but it still lacked the low end response at lower volume level. I have a Jamo sub 200 which I use for Movies. I tried that sub with the sub pre out of Bluesound node2i. Having a sub improved the sound as I could control the bass and it is present even at low volume level . Increasing the sound was overwhelming the mid driver. I would be looking for a dedicated sub for music as I need the Jamo sub back for movies setup.

Finally - the sound I was looking for
After a lot of research, forums post everywhere, Finally I think I am almost there to get the sound I was looking for. I am enjoying it and look forward for hours of music listening bliss ....

Music.jpg

Nice account. And a neat looking set up.

I'd hazard a guess that you couldn't get the pairing of the Monitor Audio speakers with your amps right. Because they are reputed to be very fine speakers. However, they have a different signature. The warmth of Wharfedale, pairing with Marantz it all points to the same direction. That you like your music to not jump at you, but lets you soak it in at your own pace.

A natural progression, when you are ready, would be an Evo 4.4 or a Linton Heritage.

Nice account. And a neat looking set up.

I'd hazard a guess that you couldn't get the pairing of the Monitor Audio speakers with your amps right. Because they are reputed to be very fine speakers. However, they have a different signature. The warmth of Wharfedale, pairing with Marantz it all points to the same direction. That you like your music to not jump at you, but lets you soak it in at your own pace.

A natural progression, when you are ready, would be an Evo 4.4 or a Linton Heritage.
Thank you. The current amp might not be suitable for the monitor audio RX6 . Had purchased those to pair with marantz av receiver 5006 which got faulty and was replaced with yamaha RXv 685 .
Musician in me wants to hear all the instruments and vocals without one dominating others. It is amazing how the great musicians played with limited options gears and technology. I think that is one of the reason for the purity and skills they had in their time.

For some time would be sticking to the current speaker . Though not sure if I should upgrade my current amp .

Last edited:
I have been a music lover for more than 20-25 years. Love to listen Hindi classics from greats like R.D Burman , Kishore Kumar , Mohd Rafi , Jagjit Singh, Mark Knopfler, Eric Clapton , Yanni, to Kailsah Kher, and Arijit Singh . Mostly songs from 60s to 90s.

I used to think that HMV ( Saregams now ) did a really bad work in maintaining and preserving these classics. Despite the fact that they still are earning a lot by selling the tracks through various platforms and devices such as caravan they never cared to improve. I had given up and was thinking that we have to live with this.

there were options of going the vinyl way but as we know that not every movie had all good songs and changing the discs or vinyl every 10-15 minutes was not convenient hence was relying mostly on digital collection and players.

and then I used the same source for a new tiny speaker Beoplay A1 by B&O . I was surprised to hear some low end on the songs without disturbing the vocals or midrange. The upper frequencies were mostly missing in the earlier recordings or may be it was lost to suppress the hissing or static noise. so it was still not there but the vocals and supporting instruments were sounding nice and warm. despite having many speakers, headphones I kept going to the A1 and enjoying the old songs on it

audio bug in me bit me again and I started exploring the options to have an amplified version of the setup similar to the sound signature . I am extremely happy to share that I am almost there. below is what I have done till now

Improving the Source - The Tidal Magic

The Tidal Magic - After exploring various options ( have been using , Apple music, Amazon Prime, Gaana, tracks purchased from Saragama and so called HD , Along with tracks converted from purchased CD) Tried the songs from Tidal. I was blown away with the quality of tracks there. I am considering that they might have sourced it from saregama , Universal music etc..) . they have still not launched in India but despite that they have better quality than the platforms mentioned above and their collection is good.

The Transport Upgrade - Bluesound Node 2i
the Squeezebox touch which I used to have was discontinued and it does not support newer streaming platforms. I looked for a streamer which can support tidal natively and concluded by getting Bluesound node 2i .

AMP - Marantz continues
I had Marantz 7004 amp and though that I should continue with considering it has a sound signature which I like.

I was having Wharfedale diamond 220 . one of the mid woofer driver was blown and I thought that it was signal to get the speaker replaced too :)
was searching for a pair to go well with my kind of music. I tried Monitor Audio RX6 floor stander which I have. It lacked clarity which I was used to from Wharfedale. As I was limited for auditioning options due to Lockdown and my location I decided to go with Wharfedale Evo 4.1. was confused between 4.2 and 4.1 ( 2 way vs 3 way ) 5 inch driver vs 6.5 inch driver . but at the end decided to go with 4.1.

The Low range Enhancement - Subwoofer
Now the bass response of Evo 4.1 is certainly better than diamond 220 but it still lacked the low end response at lower volume level. I have a Jamo sub 200 which I use for Movies. I tried that sub with the sub pre out of Bluesound node2i. Having a sub improved the sound as I could control the bass and it is present even at low volume level . Increasing the sound was overwhelming the mid driver. I would be looking for a dedicated sub for music as I need the Jamo sub back for movies setup.

Finally - the sound I was looking for
After a lot of research, forums post everywhere, Finally I think I am almost there to get the sound I was looking for. I am enjoying it and look forward for hours of music listening bliss ....
Congratulations on the 4.1s. I hope its the presentation that you were looking for. Im curious to know your experience with the breaking in process. Did they sound fine out of the box or has the sound changed with a few hours of playtime?

Congratulations on the 4.1s. I hope its the presentation that you were looking for. Im curious to know your experience with the breaking in process. Did they sound fine out of the box or has the sound changed with a few hours of playtime?
Thank you.
The speaker would require time.. I believe Minimum 100-150 hours should be the burn in period for these. as it is two three days , I have played it for around 8-10 hours only. will share if I start observing change

Congratulations !!
The setup looks good. Squeezebox Touch does support Tidal. But yes, it is older device now.
Thank you. I did try roon which supports SB touch but it was asking for minimum 7.8 version and I had 7.7 ( last Logitech supported firmware )
in the end did not have patience of creating SB server and upgrading the player and decided to change the streamer.

Last edited:
Update :
Have updated the amp to Marantz PM6007. now the bluesound is connected over coaxial to Marantz Digital Input bypassing its DAC. like the DAC of marnatz better than the one used in bluesound node 2i

That made me think if I should go for external DAC :)

I am contemplating getting the Wharf’s but have to go without audition, what’s your impression? Read in multiple reviews they aren’t great for rock sort of music, and their sweet spot is limited, very picky on the ear position wrt the amt etc etc. Would love to hear about your impressions or anyone else having wharf’s 4.1/4.2 please. TIA

Congratulations, enjoy your setup :)

Like you I have upgraded from Diamond 225 to Evo 4.2, last month. :)

I am contemplating getting the Wharf’s but have to go without audition, what’s your impression? Read in multiple reviews they aren’t great for rock sort of music, and their sweet spot is limited, very picky on the ear position wrt the amt etc etc. Would love to hear about your impressions or anyone else having wharf’s 4.1/4.2 please. TIA
I don't listen to rock music so I cannot directly comment on it. However I can give my perspective on bollywood dance songs for speed and energy, and hope that it will help you.
Evo 4.2 is paired with Naim Nait 5si.

Songs that works, head nodes, foot tapping, emotional connect.
  • Vishwatma - Saat samundar Paar
  • Tezaab - Ek Do Teen
  • Disco Dancer - I am a Disco Dancer
  • Taal - Beat of Passion
  • Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara - Senorita
  • Alisha ( Album by Alisha Chinai ) - Seulement-Vous
  • Bhaag Milkha Bhaag - Maston Ka Jhund

Songs that does not works, Evo does everything right, like sound stage, instrument separation, but not head nodes, foot tapping or emotional connect, my guess is, below songs required sub, however I also feel lack of energy.
  • Batla House - O SAKI SAKI
  • KFG - Gali Gali
  • Marjaavaan - Ek toh kum zindagani
  • Satyameva Jayete - Dilbar

I cannot compare with other speakers, since I have listen to two speakers till date, Diamond 225 and Evo 4.2.
YMMV

I don't listen to rock music so I cannot directly comment on it. However I can give my perspective on bollywood dance songs for speed and energy, and hope that it will help you.
Evo 4.2 is paired with Naim Nait 5si.

Songs that works, head nodes, foot tapping, emotional connect.
  • Vishwatma - Saat samundar Paar
  • Tezaab - Ek Do Teen
  • Disco Dancer - I am a Disco Dancer
  • Taal - Beat of Passion
  • Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara - Senorita
  • Alisha ( Album by Alisha Chinai ) - Seulement-Vous
  • Bhaag Milkha Bhaag - Maston Ka Jhund

Songs that does not works, Evo does everything right, like sound stage, instrument separation, but not head nodes, foot tapping or emotional connect, my guess is, below songs required sub, however I also feel lack of energy.
  • Batla House - O SAKI SAKI
  • KFG - Gali Gali
  • Marjaavaan - Ek toh kum zindagani
  • Satyameva Jayete - Dilbar

I cannot compare with other speakers, since I have listen to two speakers till date, Diamond 225 and Evo 4.2.
YMMV
Hi jigar :)

The lower list of titles that you mentioned all have fast and deep bass. And the naim is a master of timing and speed. I would find fault with the placement of your speakers. Not per say within the context of the room, as they are bottom ported and should be unfussy about placement. But regarding what they are placed on. Bass speed and solidity are two conflicting issues. If you place the speakers on a heavy stand with spikes to couple it to the stand, you will loose speed but will improve solidity. If you isolate them from the stand with some isolators, then you will improve speed. So maybe try a little and see where you can strike middle ground to your liking :)

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back