Firestick 5.1 Audio setup guidance with Samsung AVR

Nick07

Hi All,

Hope you all are doing well!

I have been struggling to find a solution for 5.1 Audio over Netflix using Firestick on my Samsung LED TV.
My current setup/connection:

Samsung AV Receiver: Model-HT-D355K | 1 HDMI Out and 1 SPDIF (optical). 5.1 Speaker setup
Samsung LED TV: Model-UA40D5000PRXZN | Version no.-AC05 | 4 HDMI ports | No ARC HDMI port
Amazon Firestick

Currently, I have Firestick plugged into one of the HDMI ports on the TV and running an HDMI cable to the AVR to the HDMI out port. The issue is that while playing Netflix or Amazon Prime Video content I don’t get 5.1 sound but only 2.1 sound (two front speakers plus woofer).

As there is no ARC port on the TV or the AVR, I think the 5.1 sound is getting lost during the transfer. I could be wrong here so please correct me, if I am understanding it wrong.

With optical cable connection (for audio) from the TV to AVR the sound gets lost/missing as the only options available to me in Sound settings on Firestick are:

-Dolby Digital Plus Automatic
-Dolby Digital Plus Off
-Dolby Digital Plus Over HDMI
-Dolby Digital Over HDMI

My question is if it’s possible to get the 5.1 audio on my speakers while content on Firestick (Netflix or Prime) with the existing setup or do I need to buy a new AVR or TV to get this feature?

I am sure there would be a solution to this other than buying a new AVR(which I might upgrade in the coming few months) or TV.

Please provide your valuable inputs on this so that I can take this off my mind and live with what I have for now, if the only option is to upgrade the TV/AVR.

Also, clarify is it is a shortcoming of the TV not having an ARC HDMI port or the receivers?

Let me know if you need further clarifications on my setup.

Thank you in advance!

Regards,
Nick

With optical cable connection (for audio) from the TV to AVR the sound gets lost/missing...
Why is the sound getting lost/missing? Pls explain this.

Given the limitations of your current AVR (no HDMI in), the best option for you is to get the 5.1 audio from TV to AVR.

Hi All,

I have been struggling to find a solution for 5.1 Audio over Netflix using Firestick on my Samsung LED TV.

Samsung AV Receiver: Model-HT-D355K | 1 HDMI Out and 1 SPDIF (optical). 5.1 Speaker setup
Samsung LED TV: Model-UA40D5000PRXZN | Version no.-AC05 | 4 HDMI ports | No ARC HDMI port
Amazon Firestick

Currently, I have Firestick plugged into one of the HDMI ports on the TV and running an HDMI cable to the AVR to the HDMI out port. The issue is that while playing Netflix or Amazon Prime Video content I don’t get 5.1 sound but only 2.1 sound (two front speakers plus woofer).

As there is no ARC port on the TV or the AVR, I think the 5.1 sound is getting lost during the transfer. I could be wrong here so please correct me, if I am understanding it wrong.

With optical cable connection (for audio) from the TV to AVR the sound gets lost/missing as the only options available to me in Sound settings on Firestick are:

-Dolby Digital Plus Off
-Dolby Digital Over HDMI

My question is if it’s possible to get the 5.1 audio on my speakers while content on Firestick (Netflix or Prime) with the existing setup or do I need to buy a new AVR or TV to get this feature?

I am sure there would be a solution to this other than buying a new AVR(which I might upgrade in the coming few months) or TV.

Please provide your valuable inputs on this so that I can take this off my mind and live with what I have for now, if the only option is to upgrade the TV/AVR.

Also, clarify is it is a shortcoming of the TV not having an ARC HDMI port or the receivers?

Thank you in advance!

Regards,
Nick

Well all you can do is confirm whether the TV is sending out 5.1 channels over Optical. If not, then like many other TVs, it could be sending out stereo only.

MaSh

Well all you can do is confirm whether the TV is sending out 5.1 channels over Optical. If not, then like many other TVs, it could be sending out stereo only.

MaSh
It is sending out 5.1 over Optical but only for PS3 and USB content and not for Firestick

It is sending out 5.1 over Optical but only for PS3 and USB content and not for Firestick
Ohh is it. Thats interesting. So the TV is passing, only not when the source is Firestick. Have to checked all the Audio options on the Firestick? None of them make the TV send 5.1?

MaSh

Ohh is it. Thats interesting. So the TV is passing, only not when the source is Firestick. Have to checked all the Audio options on the Firestick? None of them make the TV send 5.1?

MaSh
To clarify further, I connect my PS3 to AVR via Optical directly hence the 5.1 audio. USB works for 5.1 as the audio is generated by the TV itself and not streamed via USB to TV unlike other scenarios. Looks like an issue/limitation with any HDMI device connected to TV cannot pass 5.1 over HDMI or Optical(from the TV) to the receiver.

To clarify further, I connect my PS3 to AVR via Optical directly hence the 5.1 audio. USB works for 5.1 as the audio is generated by the TV itself and not streamed via USB to TV unlike other scenarios. Looks like an issue/limitation with any HDMI device connected to TV cannot pass 5.1 over HDMI or Optical(from the TV) to the receiver.
Ahhh now its clear. Its the limitation of the TV looks like. As I had said, there are many TV models that do not convert an HDMI signal to 5.1 optical signal. Try an HDMI Extractor device which has HDMI In, HDMI Out and Optical Out. Use the optical to feed the receiver and HDMI Out to the TV.

MaSh

Use Dolby Digital over HDMI in Firestick. Reboot. Switch AVR first, then TV. Optical can only transmit DD. And then watch something which has 5.1 audio

Ahhh now its clear. Its the limitation of the TV looks like. As I had said, there are many TV models that do not convert an HDMI signal to 5.1 optical signal. Try an HDMI Extractor device which has HDMI In, HDMI Out and Optical Out. Use the optical to feed the receiver and HDMI Out to the TV.

MaSh
Yeah, before I could read your reply I came across this extractor thing. Will use that or upgrade my AVR. Thank you so much for the right advice Much appreciated!

Hi All,

Amazon Firestick

-Dolby Digital Plus Off
-Dolby Digital Over HDMI

Thank you in advance!

Regards,
Nick

Based on your TV specifications, refer below link for more details - third point below digital audio out (optical)

To summarise only optical output on you TV is capable of transmitting 5.1 ch audio and HDMI won’t, it’s only 2ch.

In TV-Sound settings menu enable spdif output and speaker select - external. On fire stick keep it to DD+ auto. Connect TV optical output to AVR optical input, Hope with this setting you should be sorted. Try multiple test and trial settings on your TV, it can output DD+/dts2.0/srs for sure.

Cheers,

Back