First ever Salks (SongTower QWT) in India

godsdevil

Fellow Audiophiles

After 6 months on intensive research and hunting, I am finally happy (and very much relieved) to say that I am the proud owner of the first ever Salk Sound speakers (SongTowers QWT) in India. :yahoo:

Now I am not as knowledgeable as most of you or even close to having an ear as discerning as most of the people here, but I will attempt to give as honest a review as I can.

I'll start from the beginning...I started looking for my first 'decent' HiFi system early this year(Feb) while I was constructing my house. While doing research online, I found this forum and the extremely knowledgable and helpful people here that have knowingly or otherwise helped me on my journey of attaining audio heaven. I started off with almost no knowledge but slowly started learning the finer nuances of attaining sound nirvana.

Initially, I started off with auditioning (speakers) from the 'well known' brands like Sony, Jamo, JBL, Yamaha, Onkyo, Bose etc. I was impressed(at that time) by what I heard but always felt that something was missing. Then I started my research and got to know about the real audio brands like ATC, Focal, Dali etc. My first audition of a true HiFi brand was Vienna Acoustics. I must say I was blown away by the sound those babies produced. The details and imaging was absolutely stunning and at that time I knew I wouldn't be able to go back to a lesser speaker. But, sadly, they were way out of my budget. I then started auditioning extensively and over a period of 7 months auditioned (and re-auditioned) speakers from Monitor Audio, Focal, Quad, Vienna Acoustics, Anthony Gallo, PSB, Dali, Ushers, Totem, KEF, Polk, Klipsch, AAD by Phil Jones, Energy, Wharfedale, Def Tech etc. I was suitably impressed by each of them, but they were all missing something or the other...sometimes it was imaging they lacked, sometimes depth, sometimes they were too bright and so fort. And the speakers that truly were exceptional were out on my budget. During this time I also started researching Internet Direct brands like Salk, Axiom, Ascend, Aperion etc and was helped at every step by valuable feedback and help from a lot of forum members here. After long and deliberate thinking, I decided to take the risk of ordering an ID brand as they seemed to me real VFM and not grossly overpriced as all the 'brick and mortar store (B&M)' brands here. My research confirmed that these brands not only offer exceptional speakers at very reasonable price but also had many customization options as well which most of the B&M brands were missing. And then I found Salk Sound.

After reading every review (user and expert) written about Salk, Axiom, Aperion and Ascend that I could find courtesy Google baba, I decided that Salk SongTowers would fit my bill perfectly. They, although over my budget, were great VFM and had SQ that gave speakers double their price a run for their money. For my requirement- 70% music and rest gaming, TV and movies- STs were a perfect fit with a ruler flat mid-range, gorgeous detailing, extremely clear and well produced highs and great depth. With F3 of 38Hz, STs would be good enough for my mid-sized listening room even without a sub. I was sold on paper but the only thing stopping me was that no one in India has ever had one and shipping+customs+taxes would shoot up the cost considerably. After exchanging a tad over 200 emails with Jim (Salk Sound Owner), I went with my gut and ordered a pair of Salk SongTower QWT in Walnut veneer (Wenge color). And boy it was a right decision.

I received the speakers last weekend and had them set up at a friends place (as mine will not be ready for another 2 weeks or so). The packing was absolutely first grade and the speakers arrived in perfect condition. The whole package was about 60kgs and had the 2 floorstanders, 2 plinths, 8 bolts to attach the plints to speakers, 8 spikes, a Demo CD, a 'Birth Certificate' and some other papers detailing care and setup procedures etc. Below all this was another layer of styrofoam and then 2 most gorgeous floor-standers I have ever seen. Now I know much has been said about Salk speakers' finish but I must say that no picture truly do them justice. (Only if the carpenter working in my house would be able to give me finish that is even half as good as these, I would be a happy man. :indifferent14:)

Setting them up took just over an hour - attaching the plinth, spikes, running cables, positioning them correctly etc. the first CD I played was the Demo CD that came with the speakers (it has 17 beautiful songs) and the first song was 'Someday, somebody - Jennifer Warnes'. The sounds that these babies produced right out of the carton was amazing. The female vocals were rich & smooth and the bass very nice and tight. I was impressed. Next I put in the old n familiar Pink Floyd (one of their old analog recordings) and the result was absolutely surreal. The detailing and the soundstage was absolutely amazing (and they haven't even been broken-in yet). I could actually hear the very slight screeching sound make by Gilmour's fingers gliding over the guitar strings. Needless to say that I was amazed. After a couple of hours of Floyd, Doors, Dire Straits, Ray Charles and David Sanborn, I put in Beethoven. The STs handles classical music just as easy as it did the rest. Each and every piece of the Orchestra was clearly and separately discernible and accurate. Even at insanely high volumes the speakers did not distort the sound, loose their clarity or sounded muddy. Sadly, shortly after that I had to leave for my home as it was late at night. Hours had passed and the music engaged us in an ethereal world. :rolleyes:

I haven't heard them long enough to give a complete review of every quality or flaw that they have, but with the few hours that I did spend with them, they sounded great. I will chime in with more comments and notes as and when I spend some time with them but I'm pretty sure that they won't disappoint. :eek:hyeah::thumbsup::cheers:

Cheers
D

ps: I know people will be asking for pictures...patience guys I will be adding some soon. :D

pps: sorry for such a long post. :rolleyes:

Congrats! Looks like you really did your homework, heh heh.

It is always a great feeling (and a great relief) when something you bought blind sounds how you wanted it to sound. Not mention the relief of getting expensive kit undamaged after it was shipped internationally.

Enjoy! :)

ps: I know people will be asking for pictures...patience guys I will be adding some soon. :D

And Prices too:D...congratulations man. I am sure you'll enjoy your setup to the fullest. Also, chip in some info on source, amplifier and cables used with STs.

Enjoy!!
Kevian

Added Later: Okay, I gather from your other posts that your amplifier is sr7005. More information on source and cabling will be helpful.

Last edited:
Congrats D! Doesn't sound like you will be out hunting for me to have pointed you in the wrong direction :D.

Pics are, of course, mandatory ;). But like you said, pictures just don't do justice to Salks.

Btw, as you auditioned many brands, it will be good to have your thoughts on comparison to few of the other top brands you liked.

Enjoy!

Congrats D(God's) for your long cherised Song Tower. The joy will be further up when you will listen with Integrated or separate amp.

Congrats! Looks like you really did your homework, heh heh.

It is always a great feeling (and a great relief) when something you bought blind sounds how you wanted it to sound. Not mention the relief of getting expensive kit undamaged after it was shipped internationally.

Enjoy! :)

Thanks hydra...all the hard work surely did pay off :)

And Prices too:D...congratulations man. I am sure you'll enjoy your setup to the fullest. Also, chip in some info on source, amplifier and cables used with STs.

Enjoy!!
Kevian

Added Later: Okay, I gather from your other posts that your amplifier is sr7005. More information on source and cabling will be helpful.

Great speakers! What electronics are they paired with?

Kevian & reignofchaos

As of now they are at a friend's place paired with his Marantz PM7001 integrated and CD player. Once I get it to my place, it will be paired with modified Oppo BDP-93 / Mac with Amarra > Marantz sr7005 (as PRE and for basic HT duties) >Power amp (still to decide between a couple after actually auditioning them with STs) and a dedicated Pre to come later when I can afford it. :cool:

Cables used were provided by Jim, with GLS Audio full metal gold banana to spade ICs

Last edited:
Congrats D! Doesn't sound like you will be out hunting for me to have pointed you in the wrong direction :D.

Pics are, of course, mandatory ;). But like you said, pictures just don't do justice to Salks.

Btw, as you auditioned many brands, it will be good to have your thoughts on comparison to few of the other top brands you liked.

Enjoy!

Thanks sarge_in! I'm actually grateful that you pointed me in the right direction. :D

Although these costed me significantly higher than the US price, I still firmly believe that they are truly VFM. Pictures to come soon. :eek:hyeah:

And I will surely put my thoughts on comparison with some of locally available brands in the next few days.

Cheers
D :cheers:

Sir, you have to come for a session. Just let me know when. :)

Thanks D(Gods) for inviting me. Let your house get fully ready and the Song Towers properly set up. I will come.

While selecting Power amp, please include 'Odyssey Kismet extreme' as one of the probables. I had listened it and it is a very good power amp.

Cheers

godsdevil - you are godsend, as I am now going to land at your place to have a listen. You are truly devil as you will convince me to empty my wallet.

BTW, I am your friend too. Consider putting the speakers at my place for a few months ;)

Congratulations, and waiting for an invite. Noida is cool for me, as I am here everyday.

Congrats on the acquisition of such a wonderful pair of speakers. If its ok with you, I would like to audition them on my next visit to the NCR (my second home). Kudos to you for the painstaking selection process and the write-up, too. Nevertheless, there's one aspect thats beyond my comprehension ie how can one be so sure that they are the first ever in India? Did they endorse it on the "birth certificate"? LOL. No offense meant mate, I do understand your pride of possession but you may just like to reconsider that statement of yours. Its better to do so now than after a FM walks up and posts that he has had a similar pair. Just friendly advice mate, please dont take it otherwise.

Oh yeah, AFAIK, those speakers have a nominal impedance of 4 ohms and the Marantz SR series of AVRs is designed only for 6/8 ohm loads. Pl check your AVR user manual and back panel. Now, that means that your AVR will have to work much harder and will run much hotter esp while pumping stereo music. If the AVR trips and comes into standby mode due to overload, dont go loud next time. The best part about these is that you can use them with a valve amp too but they will not do FULL justice to low powered SET amps due to limited sensitivity compared to whats needed for SET amps compared to push-pull valve amps.

Another thing unique about them is that they use RAAL tweeters, arguably one of the best around. Great, as you shall see but do give them at least 50 hrs to come into their element.

Congrats once again. Do get a good amp to do justice unto them and share the pics and your listening experience at your earliest convenience.
Regards

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back