First Post - Budget amplifier nedeed- Please help

anooj30299301

Hello guys,

This is my first post.First, this is an awesome forum friends. I am a complete noob to elctronics & components but enthisiast as everyone else.

Coming to the question - I have a DVD player with coaxial & optical output and a pair of Tannoy Mx-1m's(75-100 rms). Got this as a gift. I want to connect my speakers to it and get input from DVD player's coaxial to a .......

This is what I do not know. Should I be looking/buying for a digital amplifier/receiever or something else is available.

Alright, then should I buy a 5.1(only needed) or 2, 2.1 since now this speakers only to boot. I shall surely upgrade but not in another year.

Budget could be ~10K to maybe if worthto 15K.

Local brand if something is good, which one or branded ones ?

I stay in Hyderabad and called up Cinebels Jamo and Sound & Vision.

Former quoted 29,900 for Marantz PM7001 and the latter a Yamaha set that outputs 110 RMS costing 17K.

Also, needed wire and Jamo tells me Rs118/m - donno the brand but asked me to come to showroom and chech it.He said three types of wire is available. I remember some good brand costing as low as Rs49/m - 16 gauge 2 years at the same place.

I have not been to these shops but need good guidance if can get a godd product within budget.

Hope I am not confusing. I will buy this soon as get a good siggestion and please remember guys I stay in Hyderabad.

If any local shops I could look into.

Kindly help.Thanks

Anooj:

First of all welcome to the forum.

I have a question. Are you speakers the Tannoy MX1 bookshelf speakers? I was not able to locate any MX-1M. Maybe I am missing something.

When I have this cleared, we can give you some advise.

Cheers.

Hi,
Couple of things that should help you:
1. If you want to connect your dvd player's coax or optical out, then you either need a DAC or a A/V receiver mostly. But, then for the speakers you have and the player you use, if you are intending on Music primarily, I don't think you need to use those coax and optical out. Instead you cam simply take the analogue RCA out and connect it to an amplifier.
2. Matching this speaker DVD player wouldn't need really costly amplifiers. I would say somebody in this forum was selling a NAD C320bee for about 10k and simply you can't beat this for that money. Marantz PM7001 is very good amp, but in my opinion not necessary and NAD should be better than the Yamaha you are talking about.
3. Don't bother about wires for now. Settle on the amp and then check that one.
4. I am also from Hyd and know these shops and can help you out on where to look for the deal. Ping me if you need any help.
5. In case you want to go for a good amount of Movies along with music, and also plan to go for a full fledged 5.1 system, then you can think of a receiver. But then any decent receiver will be above 20k. And by the time you upgrage the specs of the receiver will be outdated.
I would rather say get some good second hand stereo amp for around 10k. Later upgrade the speakers and then the source and then come back to the amp again later.

Hi Guys,

Wow. The response is really fast and helpful.

Yes, venkat, those are bookshelves and not floorstanding(hope that is
what you meant). Hey Gopi, I would prefer to buy a new one dude since some good monetary damages are there anyways.
Let me add some more of what I own;

My PC is connected with onboard spdif + audigy 4 card + logitech z 5500 speakers. Will buy a PS3 soon for my room.

My plan was to simly buy a hi fi system from sony - Rs 40k (6.2ch) but after listening understood, mistakes guillible poeple make with their buying decision, after I listened to Jamo and JBl (wow). Also the Onkyo full fledged system for 40K again, seemed oK. Then for the main room(I live ina 1600ft flat), I thought gradually make a good system out of separates.

Hyderabad is not good place to help make this ,based on what I read from
A/V max, Hi-Fi. I will have to charge over to other cities.

Anyways guys my speaker connections are into a screw upon which there is a lid. The lid when unscrewed shows the gold plated screw with a hole(both - ve & +ve separate)

I would use this system only to watch movies and nothing else. Music I do not know Gopi, how well I can and would want to distinguish between good and bad. Rather contend with movies and games.

So, what do you suggest.

Anooj,
The logitech and creative are rated pretty good. Its all about how much money you want to spend. If you are going the upgrade route, what will the total investment you are ready to put. Hyderabad does have quite a number of shops and models particularly entry level. I can help you out there. If its purely movies, then a A/V receiver would be the way to go. Since, you have already listened to Onkyo and found it just ok, if you can tell us what was good/bad about it, that can help us recommending better.
How, big is your room and how loud you want them to go. Is it more like action movies or the quiet drama/romance kinda movies. For receivers the choice will be from the following brands all ranging about 20 to 30k, in the range of my preference and thats because I prefer a more musical receiver than a full fledged action blaster.

Marantz SR4002 - 25k?
Cambridge 540D v2 - 32k
Denon 1909
Onkyo SR505

Also, one more thing you may have to think about is this. When making a 5.1 system, the timbre matching of these speakers are considered very very important. Thats why most of the cases, people only use the same company speakers for all 5 and mostly even from the same range of speakers. While you got a pair free, please check the cost and availability of the remaining speakers for future upgrade.

Anooj, Gopi is leading you the right way. Couple of points from my side.

At the outset don't worry about coaxial, digital and all that. That comes later.

The Tannoy MX1 does not seem to be current in their website, and you may not get matching speakers. At the same time you can use the MX1s to listen to music in 2 channel. Remember, the Tannoys are passive speakers. They need external amplification. You cannot connect them to the DVD player directly.

Since you are content with movies and games, let us focus on that. You already have a system for games.

Movies - movies can be watched with basically three sound systems - 2.1, 5.1, and 7.1.

If you choose a 2.1 you can use your MX1s. What you need to purchase is a two channel amp and a sub woofer. You will get only sound from your front and of course some low frequency sounds such as explosions, etc., and the dialogues. You need not install a center channel. The front left and right can also render the dialogues. This is an easy setting in the DVD Player.

For your budget, an Indian amplifier will cost you around 7 or 8K, and a sub woofer around the same price. If you look at international brands, you budget will more than triple.

A 5.1 system can be had in two ways. One; to buy an AVR and speakers separately. This will cost you between 50,000 to 100,000 depending upon your choice of AVR and speakers.

Two, to buy what is called a Home Theater in a Box (HTIB). This will be a simple 6 channel amplifier with matching speakers that come along. These speakers will generally be a sub-woofer and satellite system. HTIBs are made by a number of companies including Samsung, LG, Sony, Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon to name a few. Some of these may come with a DVD player, but you can use your existing DVD player also.

This will cost you around 25,000.

Forget about the 7.1 for now, excepting the fact that if you choose a 5.1 with separates, you can upgrade to a 7.1 later.

Now choose what you want.

Cheers

Hi Venkat and Gopi,

Thanks guys, you were really helpful. I should go in for a stereo amplifier 2.0/2.1 and buy a subwoofer if the latter.

If I would want to go for a amp + subwoofer with Indian , which would be that and where in Hyderabad can I buy this. Gopi, I've stiil not decided, so I would not ask for any help from you right now. I would want to check out Infinity at Prasad IMAX , Jamo again and Sound Vision before deciding on one. Maybe budget could be increased to max 18K.

Also, please suggest a sub hat shall complement the outdated Tannoy speakers but thum has to be real tight.

Venkat, I would rather put on hold the 5.1 and be contended with the Logitech, trust me, personally it sucks with its bass booming and spoiling the whole experience. But it rocks for games, forget music(I guess).

I shall read this whole forum, every nook and corner and come back to you in some time for a complete package, until then the 5.1/7.1 part is stalled.

Thanks so much guys.

regards,
Anooj Mangalam

Venkat, Gopi. Guys please!

Hi guys,

I just returned after a tour of showrroms in Hyderabad(donno how good). Here are the details:

1. Visited Cinebels jamo. The main guy was not there. i had to talk to him on phone. he suggested methe following:

marantz 4002 - 45000
Sherwood newcastle - <30000

For amp he said marantz PM7001 - 29000

2. Since someone in other thread spoke about the ELAC at E-zone for *k - two floorstanding, I checked its not thre in city centre mall.

He rather showed me another brand Sensei

Front centre and surround costs 19990, Subwoofer - 9990(they give for 8490), No receiver but they were using ONKYO that comes with 40K product recently.

They put in master & Commander and sounded really good, theatre like effect. he said if its ina closed room, then it would be much awesome. ratings were written only in PMPO and I did not ask RMS ones.

3. Visited Sound & Vision - Airport road and met Mr Uday. Since i asked for an Amp he showed mw two within my budget(20000 - yes guys increased to the much and that it)

NAD C315bee - 21990 with taxes , he said if I buy by monday 20000.

Yamaha RX 497 - 189990 with taxes and will get me within 48 hours and comparably as good as NAD and has more features.

Seeing my interest he just played Shakti CD ina 'Music Hall' CD- + Integrated amp and connected to Tisson(hope that the name) speakers and sounded really good.

That combo is 50000(my god) and speakers, apair of big bookshelves costing 18000.

that's it. i want to now your opinion guys. Venkat, Gopi. Guys please. i want something by Monday.

Gopi, the reason I did not go for the second hand 320bee is that I only can use my credit card now. Salary is far away- 15 more days and zero savings. HEhehe.

Awaiting your comments

I am getting confused. What is your budget and what exactly are you looking for. In one of your previous post you seem to have decided on a 2.1 and a max budget of 18K. Now you are looking at AVRs and at equipment worth 20,000 t0 40,000.

Can you clarify?

Cheers

Hi venkat,

Hey dude, dont get angry. Its just the excitement on getting an new equipment, that's all.

I am looking for 2.1 only and max budget is 18K onlybut 2K for cables too. Gopi had suggested looking for wires later , then I thought I got 2K to spare, so.... ahem.

Venkat I heard and read about Norge too. What is your suggestion about getting NORGE 2060 and a subwoofer within 18K. Also, if this is ok, which subwoofer. Someone in this forum was telling they had Norge 2060 for 7-8K. Then I shall have 11 to spare.

I can have these connected and enjoy for sometime.

Within 6 months I shall come back to you guys for a complete new 5.1 system with AVR and highbudget for speakers, maybe coming Jan, Feb.

Also, rather than buying a Norge, if you think I go for the above mentiones yamaha or NAD, which to go? Cables I am buying for sure or what do you suggest.

thx guys.

anooj said:
Hi venkat,

Hey dude, dont get angry. Its just the excitement on getting an new equipment, that's all.

I am looking for 2.1 only and max budget is 18K onlybut 2K for cables too. Gopi had suggested looking for wires later , then I thought I got 2K to spare, so.... ahem.

Venkat I heard and read about Norge too. What is your suggestion about getting NORGE 2060 and a subwoofer within 18K. Also, if this is ok, which subwoofer. Someone in this forum was telling they had Norge 2060 for 7-8K. Then I shall have 11 to spare.

I can have these connected and enjoy for sometime.

Within 6 months I shall come back to you guys for a complete new 5.1 system with AVR and highbudget for speakers, maybe coming Jan, Feb.

Also, rather than buying a Norge, if you think I go for the above mentiones yamaha or NAD, which to go? Cables I am buying for sure or what do you suggest.

thx guys.

Me angry? No way. I was just worried. I also understand the excitement. Nothing gives me more pleausre than visiting an audio shop. Even Diwali shopping is less exciting.

I would strongly advise against buying any equipment that you do not listen to. Unfortunately Norge is in Mumbai, and you are in Hyderabad. So I am not sure how this gap can be bridged. If you can visit Chennai for a day or two, you can listen to apmlifiers from Audiocraft. He will be able to give you the whole works including sub woofer for around 10K. Muthu of this forum has been using his system for some time and really enjoys himself. Mark of Audiocraft showed me a 2.1 channel amplifier with 40 watts per channel at less than 3K !!!!! He has 100 watts amplifiers at less than 10K..

I am not sure about Hyderabad. I have met with Uday of Sound&Vision, and he is a very nice guy. Here is a quick comparison of the two products you saw there.

NAD 315BEE
Power at 8 ohms 40 x 2
Frequency responsE 20Hz to 20KHz
THD <0.02%
Understand SACD/DVD-A No
Subwoofer out No

Yamaha RX-497B
Power at 8 ohms 75 x 2
Frequency responsE 10Hz to 100KHz
THD <0.02%
Understand SACD/DVD-A Yes
Subwoofer out Yes

Though the NAD is a good machine, given your taste and budget, the Yamaha may be a better bet. If you think you can afford it, you should choose the Yamaha. It will give you good sound for movies and music, connect to a sub for serious lows, and let you enjoy your movies.

So let us now see what you have using your existing Tannoy speakers.

Choice 1: Buy a Norge or a Audio craft amplifier for about 8 odd K. Buy a sub for about 10K. Another 2 K on cables and connectors. Total budget 20K.

Choice 2: Buy a Yamaha 497 for 19K. Sub for 10K. Connectors for 2K. Total budget 31K.

You will certainly get better sound from Choice 2. And your options of disposing off after six months will be better with the Yamaha.

For speaker cables and connectors ask Uday to show you the specs and prices for DAC cables. They are good and not very expensive. For more details on these products visit Designer Audio - Products.

Cheers

Hi venkat,

Thx man, I've read most threads of this forum and some others. Your opinions/suggestions are right to the point and shows your knowhow in this field.

I too read A/V max and What Hi-Fi but just read it. Too much technical is a big no. I mean I would not able to understand more than say 60% of what I read. So the help I get here is my only source (nobody near my home or work)
and I know is completely reliable.
Based on the comments/sugetions only is my purchase going to ne. I will/shall not trust the dealer I guess though nice people.

I have been looking around the net and stumbled upon some digital receivers(of yamaha) that cost very less in foreign countries 249$ to 349$, which are 5.1 and the usual atributes - dolby dts.

These do not have HDMI & 7.1. I do not need that now at all.I will have to buy many others to complement & utilise them.

What if I go for these, I assume I will be able to get for less than or close to 20K. I will just have to wait for another month for the subwoofer. Come Feb08, I can go for a full-fledged setup.

The names are:

Yamaha HTR-6030, HTR-6040, HTR-6130, HTR-6140, HTR-6150

HTR Series, Digital Home Theater Receivers by Yamaha Electronics

Yamaha RX series - RX-V361,RX-V461,RX-V463,RX-V363

RX-V / RX-Z / RX-N Series, AV Receivers from Yamaha Electronics

What do you suggest and if yes recommend.

Once I buy the new setup next year, this set shall go to the living room and the logitech z 5500 sold for less or use just for games(if space permits).

You may ask, why 5.1 reciever(that is if the above ones are in my budget and good for now than 2.1), maybe I can add cheaper floorstanders or bookshelves witha centre for the living room, since in my home everyone sees movies a lot(including english movies ok for family viewing)
If the above is acceptable and better to go than a 5.1, which one would be it and do you think price shall be within my tiny budget.

PS: I could come to Chennai and look look to audiocraft, Infact we have sonodyne here and had no chance that day to visit them but I am afraid I cannot now. Its so near but not possible now Venkat.

Infact I had been to Egmore for an interview but had no chance to see/visit any where. Just visited landmark for computer books and I got them all with a 15% discount and good amount of stuff from Burma bazar.

Sound & Vision house Telome too. No Telome too venkat. Only Yamaha, that's decided. Even Uday was saying, if you wan to have the best sound buy the best electrical components but yes if budget permits.

About Norge I wanted your opinion and I have dropped it after your post.

Thius is apretty long post but eagerly waitinf for your response. I want to buy something tommorrow Venkat because you never know something useless crops up and spoils this chance. It happenened many times.

Thx so much for your time.

added now: Hey Venkat my lining room is 280sqft and my room is 250 sqft. Just thought should add this.

Last edited:
Man, you are changing your mind very quickly. I suppose it is the excitement of buying your first audio / video system.

Regarding the system you have referred to, the HTR systems are made for the US.

The equivalent systems for the rest of the world are the RX-V series. If you are buying these in India, I would use a US$ to 60INR as the conversion rate to take care of customs, dealer margins etc. So the prices for the Yamaha AVRs will be as follows in India.

RX-V363 - Rs. 13,800
RX-V463 - Rs. 21,000
RX-V563 - Rs. 27,000
RX-V663 - Rs. 33,000

These are the minimal prices I can think of.

In terms of features, the 363, 463, and 563 are very simple systems that provide decoding and support for Dolby Digital, DTS, and Yamaha's own DSP. They also provide DAC conversion. The 363 and 463 are 5.1 systems while the 563 is a 7.1 system. They do not have too much processing for video.

These systems, in my opinion, for serious utility must be paired with a high end DVD player that will handle the video part.

The 663 is the first system that provides serious video up-scaling and support for up to 1080P.

Cheers

Hi guys,

I am back and a proud owner of Yamaha RX v663 as of today.

Thank you Sunil, Venkat, Gopi & Kindofblue etc and all others who helped me in this forum.

Now I think real test begins and I shall ask you again wrt speakers selection in the other thread I started

http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/1799-wharfedale-diamond-9-6-kef-iq9-definitive-bipolar-tower.html

I need complete help guys. not now but i will come back after auditioning these again and purchase 2.1 only for now.

Gopi, if your deal with Sound & Vision still stands, I shall come to you again but only when I have some raw cash in hand and hope that happens soon enough.

Till that time its only 2channel stereo with Tannoy MX1m's.

Thank you guys really. I read other forums but their tastes and preferences are so different and this forum is the right one to my sensibilities and for what I will look for from Indian perspective.

Congratulations Anooj!! Have a whale of a time with your system. Start enjoying your movies and your music. And, please what you likes and what you did not.

Cheers

Hi Venkat,

Thank you. To tell you the truth 663 was bought in a hurry, even after reading many useful posts by you and so many here. I am very unhappy about that but that's a sorry story. Bought 363 and then upgraded to 663. I could have hastened to you guys directions and wait for Denon 1909, which I see as of now is the best deal packaged for getting almost all things right under a good price.

Easwar, went for that, good choice man. I will visit your home anyways once you set it all right(Hey I have the invitation right). 663 has many issues but like I said in previous posts I am not looking more than 5.1 and no hdmi.

Venkat, I will not make that mistake again w.r.t speakers, in fact Gopi needed some help which I could not honour. He could have helped me sort the issue.

Guys, if anybody reading this, please, please consult guys here before ven auditioning, the time spent here is really worth the money. At the ed of the day it is your ears and yes you need to have it registered in your mind that 'Yes i got a good deal' - which is very important else it keeps checking your patience and you go on a unnecessary buying spree.

Thank you Venkat, sunil, Kindofblue and others who helped and that really mattered. For speakers (only 2.1), I shall come back after auditioning. Thanks

Anooj

PS: Venkat I have genuine doubt. You said whardale 9.6 is ur FS but is it justifying the monstrous Onky 875? I saw it 2 days back and man, isn't it a mean machine.
Are u fully utilising its capabilities? Just curious.

PS: Venkat I have genuine doubt. You said whardale 9.6 is ur FS but is it justifying the monstrous Onky 875? I saw it 2 days back and man, isn't it a mean machine.
Are u fully utilising its capabilities? Just curious.

I have Diamond 9.5 not 9.6. Is it a mismatch with the 875? I don't know. I find it quite nice and I like what I hear. I had explained elsewhere how I ended up with the Diamonds.

Cheers

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back