First post Onkyo Receiver

soumitrapanda

Hello Friends,

I have an existing Onkyo receiver - TXSR603B: 7.1 Channel, 2 zone. I'm trying to sell this for a new one that has 3D 1080p capability. Incidentally, I upgraded my TV to a 46 3D LED. The new receiver is primarily for watching movies. Following are the receivers that I shortlisted -

Onkyo TX-NR708, TX-SR608, and TX-SR508. The costing through shopyourworld is coming to 41K, 29.5K, and 17.5K respectively.

Following are my questions -

1. Which one do you think will be the right choice, considering that it will be used primarily for movies - 3D and 1080p?
2. Is there a better choice in terms of other brands?
3. Now, do I really need a 7.1 receiver? I ask this as I don't have any plans to use it in zone 2. Having said that, my speaker system is wired to give me a 7 channel effect. I have a 6-way Bose speaker system, a sub, and a center channel. Can I connect all of them through a 5.1 receiver, and get a similar effect?
4. What would be the best place to buy an Onkyo in Bangalore? Though all my gadgets are from US, since I used to live there, but trying to come to terms with the outrageous India pricing. :sad:

This is my first post here and I'm hoping to learn a lot from you guys in this forum. Kindly let me have your thoughts.

Cheers,

Soumitra

1. Which one do you think will be the right choice, considering that it will be used primarily for movies - 3D and 1080p?

This would depend upon your speakers. If your speakers specs say 30-100 watts at x ohms, get a receiver that can pump at least 100 watts into x ohms.

2. Is there a better choice in terms of other brands?

Quite a number if you can afford them. Some of them are Anthem, Arcam, etc. At the same price range you have choices between Onkyo, Denon, and Yamaha. Differences? Audition them to choose the one your ears like. In terms of specs they are mostly equal.

3. Now, do I really need a 7.1 receiver? I ask this as I don't have any plans to use it in zone 2. Having said that, my speaker system is wired to give me a 7 channel effect. I have a 6-way Bose speaker system, a sub, and a center channel. Can I connect all of them through a 5.1 receiver, and get a similar effect?

If you are going to see Blu-Ray movies, I would say a resounding yes. A 7.1 has nothing to do with zones. You can have 2 zones even in a 5.1 system.

If your Bose works through the sub, then you can connect any receiver to it.

Cheers

Get marantz SR6005 i would recomend it

but Audition it

Marantz Sound is Sweet and musical too !

BRANDS such as ARCAM ANTHEM Are very highly priced from 1to3L

try to get those brands in clearance sale that would help you ! !

if you can stretch your budget to 1L get EMOTIVA UMC-1 and UPA-7

If you don't need upscaling then Onkyo 508 will do the job without breaking the bank.It has all the latest HD format decoders and is 3D compatible as well.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back