First Time Buyer Bookshelf Speakers+Amplifier Recommendation Needed.

Wow! What a vibrant community. I am speechless.
Anyway, million thanks to everyone who replied.

@sandeepmohan Thank you so much for the detailed advice and now it makes a lot of sense. You just made my day by clearing the most confusing part of my problem.
As far as "diminishing returns" is concerned I actually didn't mean it by monetary value or resale value. I never sell any of my music devices/CDs/iPods or etc. I cherish them too much out of nostalgia.
I actually meant that if I invest twice my budget let us say 50-60 K. Would the resulting set-up sound twice the better of 'Set up done under 25-30K'? Or the improvement would be like 10-20%.

@edjamesx Thanks I will check out crown amplifiers. You just gave me the most useful idea to start I guess i.e. powered speakers. I have listed a couple of Powered speakers options below along with other combinations as I could think within my budget (or a bit above). Please have a look and pass along your valuable feedback. Also, you can also suggest me other good powered speakers in the same range.

@tapmal5 My heart skipped a beat when I saw that combo. But it seems a bit over my budget (+ I was hoping to buy things off Amazon as I got some Gift cards to utilize.) Nevertheless, I could attempt to convince my head around this deal. Thanks again!

@tuff Norge Gold doesn't leave much budget for speakers. But thanks, will try and find more abt it. Wharfedales are really awesome.

@blackscorpio and @rpmahale Thanks but I guess patience is not required now as I have already got few offers/listings and will have a look at them. It is just that I have this shallow and unreal inhibition about preowned stuff but your wise words are working to dispel them.

@drkrack I will PM you in a bit. And @JayaRaa mentions, this seems really enticing.

@elangoas Thanks. Just a quick question "Are Floorstanding speakers better than Bookshelves?" I have never looked at Floorstandings as they look a bit intimidating and also take more space. However, these two are also facile issues and can be ignored. I would love your suggestions on good floor standing speakers in the given range. (20-30K)

I had made the list before going through the above replies so I am still putting these here. You kind souls shall shower your suggestions on the below as well:

Micca OriGain Compact Stereo Integrated Amplifier+ Passive Bookshelves (for 15-20K)
OR
SMSL 18+ Passive BookShelves (for 15-20K)
OR
Marantz PM5005 + Passive Bookshelves (of 10-15K Range) [I am overshooting my budget here]
OR
Cambridge Audio Topaz AM5+Passive Speakers

OR Why not just get powered speakers

Micca PB42X Powered Bookshelf Speakers With 4-Inch Carbon Fiber ( 20K)
OR
Klipsch R-15M Bookshelf Monitor Speakers - Pair [They really seem to attract me but I haven't auditioned them yet and seem perfect budget fit]
{I would really love if someone could especially give me some ideas on this speaker}

I aim to run this set-up roughly for a year before upgrading.

Thanks a ton once again everyone!
I think you can settle down for
Marantz PM5005 + Passive Bookshelves (of 10-15K Range)
You will be happy even if you stretch your budget & you dont need to upgrade for atleast for another 2-3 years.
It has better resale value ,even if you want to upgrade ..you can sell it off easily..

Klipsch R-15M Bookshelf Monitor Speakers : as per i heard , it sounds good . As @elangoas mentioned powered speakers have some drawbacks usability wise , but they also sounds good for music. You may audition them and decide.

Last edited:
I actually meant that if I invest twice my budget let us say 50-60 K. Would the resulting set-up sound twice the better of 'Set up done under 25-30K'? .

I won't say twice the improvement. Your options will open up to a lot better components.

Let me put it this way. If you pair a Marantz PM7005 with a Boston Acoustics A25, you are not going to benefit much from using an amplifier like that. Replace the Boston with a Polk Rti A3 and you're looking at a night an day difference. I do not know all the combinations as it is next to impossible to listen to every component out there. I have heard a few and will recommend only those.

@MycroftHolmes I'd say, either go for with the option that FM @drkrack has suggested or with the combo package on HifiMart.
The NAD 3020 is a gem of a amplifier and so are the Marantz PM series. you can hold on to them while you upgrade your speakers next year.

I'm almost finalized for MARANTZ PM6006 amp and WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 220 BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS (PAIR). Could someone suggest the kind of speaker cables i should buy ?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back