Flac or WAV transport.

Posting after 2 years since my problem is solved now.

Got yamaha wxc-50 streamer and using it for Flac&Wav transport duties and it is performing impressive so far. Preamp function with a remote is a plus.

Sounds awesome when connected to external DAC and better than my music PC from memory. Analog section sounds very very good too with the classic ESS sound. Far better than chromecast analog (which itself was pretty good)

Cons: Came with a Rs2 power chord which affected even digital sound production. Replaced with a Airport express power chord lying around and proved to be excellent with no more upgrades required.

Thanks to NewLash for lending me his unit to make the purchase decision. Without audition I would have never believed a yamaha to sound this good. Surprise package for analog and stunning for digital transport use.

Hi blasto , I dont know what is preamp and how is it used , will be glad if can do or post a link to the guide on how to use it.

It is a fancy word for volume control. :p

Volume control is tyically done in the amplifier and not in the player. This yamaha supports volume control also using a remote and through app. You can just connect power speakers and control volume from yamaha rather than running to the speakers every time.

Hi blasto , I dont know what is preamp and how is it used , will be glad if can do or post a link to the guide on how to use it.

I use the Oppo BDP-103 on occasion to play FLAC. Most BD players would do this.

Shankar

While it's good enough to pass almost all Hires audio essentially bit perfect, it does have a softer midrange and is not as forthcoming and open as a true bit-perfect audio.

So far, PS3 with the right bitshaping algorithm does the trick for CD to wave rips. Even when not bit-perfect, sounds close.

Haven't played much on Xbox One S but so far not so impressed with its flat sound signature. It might be bit-perfect but haven't really tested closely as it plays essentially all wave and flac files.

AVR's USB is certainly a rockstar in bit-perfect audio. It's quite undermined but whatever formats it plays, usually does it without any degradation or transformation

If you have a USB Dac, just put together a headless mini pc (raspberry pi, intel nuc etc.) and install any of the Linux music server OS (daphile, vortex box, volumio etc.). You can control them through iOS, android including browsing music. This solution is not the same as running a full pc. You just need to switch the mini pc on just like you would any transport. The loading times of these software are very less.

+1 to that.

Get a Raspberry Pi and any one of these:

- https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/boards/hifiberry-digi-transformer-version/
- Pi-Digi+ I2S audiophile optical / electrical digital for Raspberry Pi
- https://www.allo.com/sparky/digione.html

However there is complete built unit from Allo:

https://www.allo.com/sparky/digione-player.html

Please note, I am not associated with any of the manufacturers mentioned above.

If you still on a lookout, after the demise of Chromecast audio, seems Echo input maybe worth a try as well. Anyone got some experience?

No, yet to come to India but it has analogue output only. So it means the dac is fixed inside and that's a limitation. Although from my experience of echo gen 3 it does have a not so bad DAC inside. This basically looks to be a echo 3 without the speaker.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back