Flipkart Flyte Shutting Down!!!

soulforged

Just got a mailer from Flipkart - Flyte store is shutting down from June 17th onwards...

I'm sure some of you have also received the mailer, at least those who registered to take advantage of the free downloads they offered some days back.

Wonder what prompted them to do so...Revenue issues? legality of it all? technology hurdles? or iTunes?...either ways, it is a resounding testament to the current situation of the music industry...

Yeah really sad! :sad: No reasons quoted!anyone to update on that?

This is wht the email says:-

Dear Flyte MP3 customer,

We hope you have enjoyed the music we have made available to you.

Unfortunately the Flyte MP3 store will no longer be operational after June 17, 2013. We request you to use your Flyte Wallet balance, if any, by that date. But if for some reason you are unable to do this then not to worry. We will refund the unused Flyte wallet balance to you.

If you would like to purchase any more music before the Flyte MP3 store shuts down, then please do so by June 17, 2013. All the MP3 files that you have purchased from Flyte on or before June 17, 2013 will continue to be available for download in your digital library till August 18, 2013. So do remember to download all your favourite music by then.

Dates to remember:

1. Monday, June 17, 2013: You will no longer be able to purchase MP3 files from Flyte after this date. The remaining balance in your Flyte wallet, if any, will be refunded to you.

2. Sunday, August 18, 2013: You will no longer be able to download your purchased MP3 files from your digital library after this date. So please download all your music by then.

So long and thank you for being a part of this journey

The Flyte MP3 team.

Do you think it's may be a publicity stunt to generate the revenue in short time? At-least they will get attention from users and increase the sale.
After this email many users (including me) will buy what they need seriously. Even I am going to do that now.

Yeah really sad! :sad: No reasons quoted!anyone to update on that?

This is wht the email says:-

Dear Flyte MP3 customer,

We hope you have enjoyed the music we have made available to you.

Unfortunately the Flyte MP3 store will no longer be operational after June 17, 2013. We request you to use your Flyte Wallet balance, if any, by that date. But if for some reason you are unable to do this then not to worry. We will refund the unused Flyte wallet balance to you.

If you would like to purchase any more music before the Flyte MP3 store shuts down, then please do so by June 17, 2013. All the MP3 files that you have purchased from Flyte on or before June 17, 2013 will continue to be available for download in your digital library till August 18, 2013. So do remember to download all your favourite music by then.

Dates to remember:

1. Monday, June 17, 2013: You will no longer be able to purchase MP3 files from Flyte after this date. The remaining balance in your Flyte wallet, if any, will be refunded to you.

2. Sunday, August 18, 2013: You will no longer be able to download your purchased MP3 files from your digital library after this date. So please download all your music by then.

So long and thank you for being a part of this journey

The Flyte MP3 team.

Just Read the mail. I am shocked and yet stable. We have seen the state of piracy in India. And, I believe the revenues were not enough to cover the costs. And hence, the step is a forward step from Flipkart. Although, I am sad after one of the best websites for downloading Purchased music.

I consider it as 'good riddance'.

Now they should consider improving the services for other 'tangible' goods especially the books and music albums.

:sad:Thinking loudly and positively.
"They will be re-launching with FLAC and WAV support too!!!":rolleyes:

Yes,its sad that Flyte is shutting down and I wish that flipkart could have mentioned what were the reasons in taking a step like this.
Also been noticing that the delivery time now mentioned is 2 to 3 days which earleir used to be 1 to 2 days.
The nominal discunts on music CD have been withdrawn.
Lets hope Flipkart is able to maintain its competitive spirit for a complete shoppers delight.

Wonder what prompted them to do so...Revenue issues? legality of it all? technology hurdles? or iTunes?...either ways, it is a resounding testament to the current situation of the music industry...
soul,
There is an article in today's Economic Times about flipkart flyte shutting down. The reasons given were low sales volume, piracy and payment hurdles of small amount of money.
Regards.

soul,
There is an article in today's Economic Times about flipkart flyte shutting down. The reasons given were low sales volume, piracy and payment hurdles of small amount of money.
Regards.

yeah...read that piece. They also mentioned that they might revive flyte at a later stage...one hopes they do...

I have a feeling that Audio CD's maybe next in line ....There used to be atleast more than 1000 audio CDs in Stock when I use to browse for Tamil Audio CD's ....now the numbers are down to 300 odd ...same is the case with Telugu and with Hindi it used to be aroung 4000 to 5000 ...and now that's also down ....

I guess they will just be stocking the new releases in future ...

Also i have noticed that even though some albums are availabe in the stores they mention it as PRE-ORDER and ship it only after the movie releases .......maybe something to do with retailers ?

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back