Floorstander Advice for Yamaha A-S501

AlexJealux

Hi all, I have recently purchased Yamaha A-S501 stereo amp and thinking of purchasing floorstanders for them in a relatively small room about 12m2. I know people do not really recommend floorstanders in such small rooms but I will not krank up the volume very high often. But when I listen to music at moderate levels I would like some heavy bass to it.

So few speakers I have in mind are:

Tannoy xt-6f
Kef q750

I'd greatly appreciate any floorstander recommendations from those who use them in 'small' rooms.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi all, I have recently purchased Yamaha A-S501 stereo amp and thinking of purchasing floorstanders for them in a relatively small room about 12m2. I know people do not really recommend floorstanders in such small rooms but I will not krank up the volume very high often. But when I listen to music at moderate levels I would like some heavy bass to it.

Tannoy tannoy xt-6f
Kef q750

I'd greatly appreciate any floorstander recommendations from those who use them in 'small' rooms.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to hifivision. Congratulations on your purchase! That's a very capable integrated amp. I'd choose the tannoy xt-6f from your list.
Also look at the QA 3050i, Polk RTI A7 if you prefer bass-heavy FS

Welcome to hifivision. Congratulations on your purchase! That's a very capable integrated amp. I'd choose the tannoy xt-6f from your list.
Also look at the QA 3050i, Polk RTI A7 if you prefer bass-heavy FS

Appreciate your response. Will look into those FS

Since you need more bass, why not buy something like KEF Q350 or QAcoustics 3020i and a decent subwoofer like Rel T7/i or Rythmik L12?

Tannoy xt-6f
Kef q750

Thanks in advance.
Similar room size and same amplifier, I have Tannoy floor standing speakers (but different model tannoy v4i). It works perfectly fine.
my room size is 10 X 12. If i keep length wise it sounds perfect. if i keep width wise the sound is not that good. ( though i did not experiment so much with wise) as they are kept length wise all the time.

Since you need more bass, why not buy something like KEF Q350 or QAcoustics 3020i and a decent subwoofer like Rel T7/i or Rythmik L12?
Thanks for the response, but i've been using bookshelfs for a very long time(was very eager to buy kef R3s as people say they do not require subs in small rooms due to their power) but time to try something different.

Last edited:
Similar room size and same amplifier, I have Tannoy floor standing speakers (but different model tannoy v4i). It works perfectly fine.
my room size is 10 X 12. If i keep length wise it sounds perfect. if i keep width wise the sound is not that good. ( though i did not experiment so much with wise) as they are kept length wise all the time.
Thanks for the response. My speakers will also be placed on the longer side of the room.

Welcome and congrats on that beautiful amp. Polk rtia7/a9, Polk Signature series S60. Q Acoustics 3050i. Dali FS. All very good vfm speakers. Do let us know what you end up with. Good luck.

I have the Tannoy XT8F and tried them with an entry level Yamaha Avr, and I was quite surprised. Do audition them with XT6F. Personally, I would get the Tannoys.

I found the bass on the Kefs to be very flabby and bloated. But that was with a different amp.

Last edited:
Welcome and congrats on that beautiful amp. Polk rtia7/a9, Polk Signature series S60. Q Acoustics 3050i. Dali FS. All very good vfm speakers. Do let us know what you end up with. Good luck.

I have the Tannoy XT8F and tried them with an entry level Yamaha Avr, and I was quite surprised. Do audition them with XT6F. Personally, I would get the Tannoys.

I found the bass on the Kefs to be very flabby and bloated. But that was with a different amp.
Thank you, appreciate it. I have a soft spot for tannoys and love their sound. Used tannoy 632 speakers for a very long time following the DC4's. I absolutely love the Tannoy xt8f's and actually want those but imo they are too big for my room. Which dali fs series are you referring to? Any thoughts on KEF R3's?

Thanks for the response.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back