Floorstanders for a Marantz amp

Thanks Krauss, I will be checking the Jamos out this weekend. But the C407s still are pretty expensive for me. I might give the C405s a look but it is not likely that I would buy them.

Maybe store them up in mind for future reference or something like that:)

There are at least two threads running that ask about views on Jamo / Wharfedale and other speakers. I did not see any serious review, and TheVortex had sent me a special request. So I took off this afternoon to Cinebels to listen to the Jamo 606 and 718.

Here are my comments. I must warn that these comments are extremely subjective, though I have tired to keep them as objective as possible. Unfortunately all audition, that are not supported by extensive technical analysis, are subjective. This is the first time, I am undertaking such a review in this Forum. In addition the listening environment was not perfect. I had to listen to the speakers in a shop where they were lined alongside a number of other speakers. In addition, the listening room was right next to a road that had very high traffic.

1. The Jamo S606.

These are narrow speakers that are about 3.5 feet tall. They have two 5 inch mid range drivers, one 1 inch tweeter, and an 8 inch woofer. The woofer is side firing. The mid range and tweeter are shiny black that made them look very fragile. The 606 has a frequency range of 45Hz to 20Khz, and can handle 130-210 watts with a sensitivity of 89dB. The impedance is 6 Ohms.

This wattage specification sounded strange to me. Are these speakers hard to drive? You will see below.

2. The Jamo S718.

These speakers are broader than the 606, and have a silvery front, and shiny side panels. They have two 6.5 inches midrnage drivers, and one 1 inch tweeter in the front. They have a 10 inch sub woofer in the side. The speakers have a sensitivity of 92 dB, an impedance of 6 ohms, and a frequency range of 40Hz to 20Khz. Again, like the 606, the wattage specification is 200 to 300 watts.

The source used was a Marantz 5001 CDP, and the amplifier was a Marantz 7001 Integrated Amplifier pumping out 70 watts per channel.

The Audition

At the outset, I must thank Mr. B. Prasad, Customer Support Engineer at Cinebels. He was very patient with me and played each CD and track that I chose twice - once for the 606 and again for the 718. At the end he did not even push me for a sale, and just requested for my name and address. The only issue we did not agree upon was which speaker was better.

A. Shambho Maha Deva - OS Arun. Recorded by Charsur Digital Studio. Released by Tmes Music.

I started with OS Arun, as I know his voice very well. In addition, the track 'Pratah Smaram' is very simple with OS Arun singing, a Tambura in the back, and a Mridungam at the end. Since I know Arun's voice very intimately, I felt neither the 606 nor the 718 could deliver his voice with a natural transparency. The 718 had more clarity than the 606, but lacked the transparency that I was looking for. I must say both speakers rendered Arun's numbers well at low volumes.

B. Drums on Fire. James Asher and Sivamani, Times Music.

To have an immediate contrast to the soft number of Arun, I played the track 'Raindance' from Drums on Fire. This is a lively number that catches tempo very quickly into a Red Indian tune. It starts with a heavy drumming by Sivamani, followed by a male voice humming the tune. The heavy base that I was expecting was completely absent from both speakers. This was surprising in the 718 as it had 10 inch woofer. The 606 sounded very weak. .

C. Breathless. Music by Javed Akthar and Shankar Mahadevan. HMV.

The 606 started well with the first track 'Breathless'. The track starts with the gentle strings of a guitar followed by Shankar starting his non-stop singing. After about 10 seconds, the violins add to the sound stage, followed by electronic percussion. The percussion always gets me tapping my feet.

The 606 failed to present the percussion well, and got completely muddled as the electronic accompaniments piped in. The 718 had much more clarity in the beginning, and presented the percussion very well. Somewhere in between, the accompaniments step back a little. When Shankar starts singing, 'kaisi meeti bathein thi woh kaisi mulakhathen thi' the accompanients catch on in full gusto. This is where the 718 surprised me. I just could not hear Shankar's voice or hear his words clearly.

D, Fusion Mosaic - Vol 1. L Subramaniam, Shankar Mahadevan, Sivamani, Rahul Sharma, Bikram Ghosh. Rhythm House.

The first track - Tandav - start with the very gentle sound of a small triangle idiophone. This starts on the right speaker, and slowly moves to the background as the drums and tablas start the rhythm. When the flute starts, the triangle idiophone moves to the left speaker. With proper sound staging you can hear the triangle floating in the air some 6 to 8 feet above your left year.

The 606 again could not present either the drums or the tablas well. I could not hear the transition of the triangle as they moved across the stage.

The 718, again, had much more clarity and I could hear the triangle floating in the air. But, I would have been happy with a little more base.

E. 2002 New Year's Concert. Weiner Philharmoniker conducted by Seiji Ozawa. Philips.

The last track - Radetzky-Marsch by Johann Strauss is a beautiful number that has strains of a military band. I don't know how many have seen this particular album (it is available as a DVD). Seiji actually invites the audience to clap along with the orchestral drums. The sound of some 5000 pair of hands clapping together is quite overwhelming. In between when the violins take on, the audience goes completely quite. The swift change from the sounds of the violins to the thunderous clapping and drums need a very capable combination of CDP, amplifier and, speakers.

Both the 606 and the 718 failed completely with orchestral music. Neither of them could deliver the sound stage of the auditorium in which the concert was recorded. When the volume was raised substantially, the sound started becoming distorted and jarring. But the sound stage was completely absent.

Conclusion

Maybe the combination of CDP, Amp, and speakers were wrong, But I doubt it. One issue was that the speakers were kept next to each other in addition to a number of other speakers. It is possible, the speakers did not have enough space for the woofers to play well.

I felt that both the 718 and 606 were good at playing modern electronic music. The mids and high were rendered well. But the minute we had some percussion being played, the speakers came out weak and muddled. As the number of instruments increased, the speakers became less clear.

Between the two the 718 was far ahead of the 606 in terms of clarity and ability to render each note, voice, and instrument independently.

Cheers

You get better result by using specially treated Audiophile grade sand.

The washed sand is then dried in Sahara desert. After that the sand is mixed with gold, silver granules and polished in a ball mill. which works in a zero gravity mode. After this the sand is foot rubbed by virgins on a full moon night. This secret process gives the sand those euphoric hifi qualities.

(Just kidding!)

Maybe we should get these sand manufacturers to get some wolves to howl into the night to add a permanent high frequency timbre to the sand. That way even if the speakers miss a bit of high frequency, the sand can chip in on their own.

Suhas, you really should have left the 'Just Kidding' back home. it would be have been hilarious if one had asked for contact details for sand manufacturers.

Cheers

Venkat - thank you very much for the detailed review and thoughts. I assume that you rate these two speakers at a far lesser level than the Wharfedale Diamond 9.5s. Is that correct?

Venkat - thank you very much for the detailed review and thoughts. I assume that you rate these two speakers at a far lesser level than the Wharfedale Diamond 9.5s. Is that correct?

If what I heard yesterday is their regular feature, yes, I do.

Cheers

Give another listen with a different cd player. That CD5001 is complete rubbish.

The newer jamos are not great speakers. I tend to agree with your findings though.

I had an audition of the Wharefedale Diamond 9.5 and Mordaunt Short Avant 906i. Without much ado, there was not much that the 906i could do that could hold even a candle to the capabilities of the Diamond 9.5.

We used the Marantz SR 5002 and a Pioneer DV600AV for the demo.

The 9.5 could go down very low - as low as 30 hz. I dont see why people buying this speaker would settle for a sub such as the SW150 or even the SW250. The speakers in themselves were quite capable of rattling furniture at significant volume levels. So, if you were looking at powerful floorstanders at fantastic value for supplementing your movie system, then the Diamonds do fit the bill.

But over the course of my session, I somehow got the feeling that the bass produced by this speaker was trumped up. You got that wow feeling initially, but once I started playing tunes that I was really familiar with I could notice how bass drums especially seemed accentuated. On the other hand, organ music was not being played that well. I dont confess knowing enough about audio to try and explain this. But there it was.

Also treble was not the Wharfedale's strong suit. Female voices - especially the more throaty and open mouthed singers tended to sound more sibilant, husky and in general deeper rather than natural. Also I did not see the Diamond 9.5 to be a highly musical speaker. This again, I would be hard put to explain. It is the feeling of involvement you get when you listen to certain songs on certain equipment. That was missing. In fact, based on this hour and a half length session, I would rate my PSB's as more musical than the Diamond 9.5. But the Diamond simply eats up standmounters in terms of bass performance.

This listening session also proved to be very useful from a personal perspective. I have stopped looking for bass in the front speakers and am now concentrating on musicality, soundstage and clarity. For bass there is always a subwoofer - if not immediately, then in the course of time. This probably means that I would start looking at standmounters with a fresh perspective.

Thanks for this buddy however I have noticed that the Jamo Showrooms (Cinebels) use amps's / receivers that under drive the speakers. They state that you should have the receiver that is underpowered when compared to the speakers. They justify saying that you can drive your amp to 90% of the volume. LOL.... but they never talk about clipping...

Clipping is a major issue when you under power your speakers... (THIS the Jamo guys wont tell you)

Anyways you have not mentioned which amp/ player / receiver was used... sometime these play an important role in understanding if a speaker is delivering what it should..

Anyways the new Jamo S608 speakers are coming soon... might as well wait and have a look at that too.

I hope i am right with these numbers..

S718 is rated at 200W / 6 ohm
S606 is rated at 130W /6 ohm

They normally drive these will 150 watt or 100 watt amps..

There are at least two threads running that ask about views on Jamo / Wharfedale and other speakers. I did not see any serious review, and TheVortex had sent me a special request. So I took off this afternoon to Cinebels to listen to the Jamo 606 and 718.

Here are my comments. I must warn that these comments are extremely subjective, though I have tired to keep them as objective as possible. Unfortunately all audition, that are not supported by extensive technical analysis, are subjective. This is the first time, I am undertaking such a review in this Forum. In addition the listening environment was not perfect. I had to listen to the speakers in a shop where they were lined alongside a number of other speakers. In addition, the listening room was right next to a road that had very high traffic.

1. The Jamo S606.

These are narrow speakers that are about 3.5 feet tall. They have two 5 inch mid range drivers, one 1 inch tweeter, and an 8 inch woofer. The woofer is side firing. The mid range and tweeter are shiny black that made them look very fragile. The 606 has a frequency range of 45Hz to 20Khz, and can handle 130-210 watts with a sensitivity of 89dB. The impedance is 6 Ohms.

This wattage specification sounded strange to me. Are these speakers hard to drive? You will see below.

2. The Jamo S718.

These speakers are broader than the 606, and have a silvery front, and shiny side panels. They have two 6.5 inches midrnage drivers, and one 1 inch tweeter in the front. They have a 10 inch sub woofer in the side. The speakers have a sensitivity of 92 dB, an impedance of 6 ohms, and a frequency range of 40Hz to 20Khz. Again, like the 606, the wattage specification is 200 to 300 watts.

The source used was a Marantz 5001 CDP, and the amplifier was a Marantz 7001 Integrated Amplifier pumping out 70 watts per channel.

The Audition

At the outset, I must thank Mr. B. Prasad, Customer Support Engineer at Cinebels. He was very patient with me and played each CD and track that I chose twice - once for the 606 and again for the 718. At the end he did not even push me for a sale, and just requested for my name and address. The only issue we did not agree upon was which speaker was better.

A. Shambho Maha Deva - OS Arun. Recorded by Charsur Digital Studio. Released by Tmes Music.

I started with OS Arun, as I know his voice very well. In addition, the track 'Pratah Smaram' is very simple with OS Arun singing, a Tambura in the back, and a Mridungam at the end. Since I know Arun's voice very intimately, I felt neither the 606 nor the 718 could deliver his voice with a natural transparency. The 718 had more clarity than the 606, but lacked the transparency that I was looking for. I must say both speakers rendered Arun's numbers well at low volumes.

B. Drums on Fire. James Asher and Sivamani, Times Music.

To have an immediate contrast to the soft number of Arun, I played the track 'Raindance' from Drums on Fire. This is a lively number that catches tempo very quickly into a Red Indian tune. It starts with a heavy drumming by Sivamani, followed by a male voice humming the tune. The heavy base that I was expecting was completely absent from both speakers. This was surprising in the 718 as it had 10 inch woofer. The 606 sounded very weak. .

C. Breathless. Music by Javed Akthar and Shankar Mahadevan. HMV.

The 606 started well with the first track 'Breathless'. The track starts with the gentle strings of a guitar followed by Shankar starting his non-stop singing. After about 10 seconds, the violins add to the sound stage, followed by electronic percussion. The percussion always gets me tapping my feet.

The 606 failed to present the percussion well, and got completely muddled as the electronic accompaniments piped in. The 718 had much more clarity in the beginning, and presented the percussion very well. Somewhere in between, the accompaniments step back a little. When Shankar starts singing, 'kaisi meeti bathein thi woh kaisi mulakhathen thi' the accompanients catch on in full gusto. This is where the 718 surprised me. I just could not hear Shankar's voice or hear his words clearly.

D, Fusion Mosaic - Vol 1. L Subramaniam, Shankar Mahadevan, Sivamani, Rahul Sharma, Bikram Ghosh. Rhythm House.

The first track - Tandav - start with the very gentle sound of a small triangle idiophone. This starts on the right speaker, and slowly moves to the background as the drums and tablas start the rhythm. When the flute starts, the triangle idiophone moves to the left speaker. With proper sound staging you can hear the triangle floating in the air some 6 to 8 feet above your left year.

The 606 again could not present either the drums or the tablas well. I could not hear the transition of the triangle as they moved across the stage.

The 718, again, had much more clarity and I could hear the triangle floating in the air. But, I would have been happy with a little more base.

E. 2002 New Year's Concert. Weiner Philharmoniker conducted by Seiji Ozawa. Philips.

The last track - Radetzky-Marsch by Johann Strauss is a beautiful number that has strains of a military band. I don't know how many have seen this particular album (it is available as a DVD). Seiji actually invites the audience to clap along with the orchestral drums. The sound of some 5000 pair of hands clapping together is quite overwhelming. In between when the violins take on, the audience goes completely quite. The swift change from the sounds of the violins to the thunderous clapping and drums need a very capable combination of CDP, amplifier and, speakers.

Both the 606 and the 718 failed completely with orchestral music. Neither of them could deliver the sound stage of the auditorium in which the concert was recorded. When the volume was raised substantially, the sound started becoming distorted and jarring. But the sound stage was completely absent.

Conclusion

Maybe the combination of CDP, Amp, and speakers were wrong, But I doubt it. One issue was that the speakers were kept next to each other in addition to a number of other speakers. It is possible, the speakers did not have enough space for the woofers to play well.

I felt that both the 718 and 606 were good at playing modern electronic music. The mids and high were rendered well. But the minute we had some percussion being played, the speakers came out weak and muddled. As the number of instruments increased, the speakers became less clear.

Between the two the 718 was far ahead of the 606 in terms of clarity and ability to render each note, voice, and instrument independently.

Cheers

I missed seeing the marantz receiver that you mentioned.. but still 70 Watts... that is terrible is it not... moreover.. Jamo speakers like to be driven with a good receiver... I have a S606 and C809 set and they both perform very well when driven with good power.

I had an audition of the Wharefedale Diamond 9.5 and Mordaunt Short Avant 906i. Without much ado, there was not much that the 906i could do that could hold even a candle to the capabilities of the Diamond 9.5.

We used the Marantz SR 5002 and a Pioneer DV600AV for the demo.

The 9.5 could go down very low - as low as 30 hz. I dont see why people buying this speaker would settle for a sub such as the SW150 or even the SW250. The speakers in themselves were quite capable of rattling furniture at significant volume levels. So, if you were looking at powerful floorstanders at fantastic value for supplementing your movie system, then the Diamonds do fit the bill.

But over the course of my session, I somehow got the feeling that the bass produced by this speaker was trumped up. You got that wow feeling initially, but once I started playing tunes that I was really familiar with I could notice how bass drums especially seemed accentuated. On the other hand, organ music was not being played that well. I dont confess knowing enough about audio to try and explain this. But there it was.

Also treble was not the Wharfedale's strong suit. Female voices - especially the more throaty and open mouthed singers tended to sound more sibilant, husky and in general deeper rather than natural. Also I did not see the Diamond 9.5 to be a highly musical speaker. This again, I would be hard put to explain. It is the feeling of involvement you get when you listen to certain songs on certain equipment. That was missing. In fact, based on this hour and a half length session, I would rate my PSB's as more musical than the Diamond 9.5. But the Diamond simply eats up standmounters in terms of bass performance.

This listening session also proved to be very useful from a personal perspective. I have stopped looking for bass in the front speakers and am now concentrating on musicality, soundstage and clarity. For bass there is always a subwoofer - if not immediately, then in the course of time. This probably means that I would start looking at standmounters with a fresh perspective.

WOW!!!!
all that i have ever wanted to say, but waited for someone to say it.
truth is truth, pure and simple, thanks, thevortex:)

Hi,

Even as the Wharfies are very popular on the forum there are no dearth of people ready trash them too:lol: physcotropic is a classic example. He jumps at any chance to do it:D. You too vortex???:)

Regards,
ashwin

Hi,

Even as the Wharfies are very popular on the forum there are no dearth of people ready trash them too:lol: physcotropic is a classic example. He jumps at any chance to do it:D. You too vortex???:)

Regards,
ashwin

No, Ashwin, you got me wrong. I am not trashing the Wharfedales. Not by a long way. This post that has got people going is more than a year old when I was still finding my ropes - for that matter, I still am. But back then, I was in a quandary as to whether to go for a floorstander or a bookshelf. This audition was one of the things that clinched it in favour of a bookshelf. I late on had a few home auditions which is where I could really make up my mind.

For the record though I really like the Diamond 9.1 and 9.2 except for the fact that I believe they make a husky female voice sound even more sweeter than what it actually is. Other than that, they are an excellent Value for money speaker. Even the Diamond 9.5. I believe these can make lovely Home Theatre speakers. Even without the subwoofer I could be reasonably happy with the Diamond 9.5.

But as I discovered, there are other speakers which cater to my tastes in a better way. And I am thankful for that.

although i cannot say that i am a good judge of pin pointing the details in a speaker as plenty of guys here on the forum, but i agree with the husky female voice part. With 9.6 it seemed that it is a much deeper/chesty voice, when i compared against 10.5.
Also now I am confused between a better quality sound from a very good bookshelf or a entry/middle level FS. I almost purchased 9.6, but I compared it with Quad 11L2 and have doubts start creeping in.
With a 30-40k budget for the fronts and 50/50 for movies/music with a 22x9(200ft) I feel that a bookshelf can do the job quite well.

No, Ashwin, you got me wrong. I am not trashing the Wharfedales. Not by a long way. This post that has got people going is more than a year old when I was still finding my ropes - for that matter, I still am. But back then, I was in a quandary as to whether to go for a floorstander or a bookshelf. This audition was one of the things that clinched it in favour of a bookshelf. I late on had a few home auditions which is where I could really make up my mind.

For the record though I really like the Diamond 9.1 and 9.2 except for the fact that I believe they make a husky female voice sound even more sweeter than what it actually is. Other than that, they are an excellent Value for money speaker. Even the Diamond 9.5. I believe these can make lovely Home Theatre speakers. Even without the subwoofer I could be reasonably happy with the Diamond 9.5.

But as I discovered, there are other speakers which cater to my tastes in a better way. And I am thankful for that.

H i bala,

The other speakers you refer, are they in the same price range of the 9.2s?

Thanks,
sri

H i bala,

The other speakers you refer, are they in the same price range of the 9.2s?

Thanks,
sri

Yes, Sri. I was referring to the PSB Alpha B1 for the most part. Of course when I meant other speakers that I liked, it also included the PSB Image B25, EPOS ELS 8, EPOS M12.2, Dynaudio Audience 52 etc.

They are basically great value for money loudspeakers. Pleasant sounding. Play something complicated and they muddy the sound. But sounds superb for the money you spend.
How do you make two large floor standers and sell it for around 30k ? It totally beats me how the Chinese manage to do this and still make the speaker sound pleasant. Remember they have to keep the total cost for production under 6k to achieve this. Even one decent pair of tweeters from Vifa costs around 4k. A good pair from scanspeak will cost some 10k or more.
Cabinet, two woofers, labour, overheads, margin !!!!! :sad:
DIY. You can make much better speakers for the same money :D

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back