FM Digital Tuner | Stereo Mode | 0.1MHz Shift

Music Freak

Hi,

I searched for a solution in the earlier posts within this section, however, could not narrow down to the exact issue nor the solution to the problem.

Well, I've got an Akai Digital AM/FM Tuner(Japan make) that works fine in the Mono Mode. But, when I want to listen to a dedicated station in the stereo mode, I have to tune ahead by 0.1 MHz.

Example:

Mono:

Actual Radio Station Frequency: 91.9 MHz (FM Indigo)
Tuned Frequency to achieve reception & Tuner Display Frequency: 91.9 MHz

Stereo:

Actual Radio Station Frequency: 91.9 MHz
Tuned Frequency to achieve stereo reception & Tuner Display Frequency: 92 MHz

I read in one of the earlier posts about US freq bands & a common issue when used in India. So, in this case, it's Japanese Freq band? I can tune all the way up > 104 MHz too & moreover, tuner is fine in the mono mode.

Could anybody please clarify if this is common or unusual ?

Reason(s) for the above issue?

Any possible solution to match the actual radio station frequency & tuned/displayed frequency on the tuner?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi, it's very common and no need to worry about it. All my tuners (had atleast 6) had this issue with stereo. I had to jump higher to get good reception.

I mean not only stereo/mono, even a better mono reception used to come slightly higher or lower than the actual Freq. I thought it was due to the age of the components.

If I remember correctly this was more apparent on distant stations than local ones. Even my NAD 402 and the Onkyo - I rate them the best I had till date, had this issue.

Don't worry, as long as the reception is good you are sorted. Suggest not to try correcting the issue. I don't think there's any diff in FM as far as freq steps are concerned all over the world. The AM certainly differs between Asian and US. They toggle between 9 and 10 khz steps. Anyway pl refrain from correcting the tuner. Hope this helps

Last edited:
Thanks, Gautam, for confirming that this is not uncommon among the tuners. Fine; will not get it fixed. So, we need to be wary of this issue when we shop for any tuner henceforth & must purchase one from the same region or at least from the same continent.

Probably, I should mask the display or shouldn't look at the tuner when these RJs keep screaming their respective station frequencies! This seems to be the fix then.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back