Foodvision.com

Now, I knew I have missed so many of my favourites, so gonna flick them from other member's list:
3. Parathas (All types) with those fantastic chutnies.
Try "Papu da Dhaaba" in the narrow road that goes next to the Ulsoor Gurudwara. Lalita's Paranthas in Domlur used to be nice but not any more. It is run by a Sardarji. Place is shabby and adds to the ambience, but seeing many executives in ties and big cars may give you courage. So do try it.

Like a true blue Punjabi-
-Piping hot Lacchha parathas with a dollop of white, homemade butter melting on it & a big glass of Chaach.
Kamalji, if you ever come down to Bangalore, try ^. Punjabi Khaana is served piping hot with desi ghee. The Chaach is served in a really tall steel glass.

- Have also been quite fond of - The typical Butter Chicken gravy from yesteryears.

- Rogan Josh, Kebabs, tikkas

Mini Idly/Ghee Idli @ Small eatery
Blackforest Pastry
Butterscotch Pastry
Egg Biryani @ Irani Shop, Opp Andheri Station, Mumbai
Everything prepared at Home. Some are Mutton Kheema, Rasam, Mango Pickle.
I can't believe I missed these in my list:rolleyes:

I had one of the best Mutton Biryanis at an eatery near Heera Panna in Mumbai. Can anyone help me remember the name? Cuisine was Indian Muslim khana.

I also love Parsi and Sindhi Khana. Especially the mutton delicacies.

Last edited:
@ Santosh bhai
Reminding me again of the insaneful delights would make me order some for Lunch ..and damn i thought i could observe my diet for the next few months atleast till my training routine normalizes as it used to be an year back at the gym. BUT ..poof! goes the resolution :(

3. Lean ham
4. Shepard's pie
14. Hilsa fish eggs

Phoren
1. Smoked oxtail with red wine
2. Beef steak (mildly done)
3. Bulgogi (Korean dish ... beef tenderloin done on cast iron vessel)
4. Smoked Ostrich leg piece
5. Boiled Ostrich egg
6. Virtually all Chinese/Thai dishes
7. Octopus and squid soup

Wow, you guys like experimenting. For some reason, I have not had the courage to venture too much in Non Veg food. Currently it is limited to Chicken, Lamb\Mutton, Fish, Prawns, Egg and Crabs.

Hi santhol2, when I was in Bangalore we (with room mate) used to go to sardarji's dhaba adjoining to Gurudawara Ulsoor lake........we enjoyed aalu ka paratha and lassi many time there................:)
u reminded me my old days............................thanks

@ Santosh bhai
That almost can make for a Menu Card for a new joint!
Lol

@ Santosh bhai
Reminding me again of the insaneful delights would make me order some for Lunch ..and damn i thought i could observe my diet for the next few months atleast till my training routine normalizes as it used to be an year back at the gym. BUT ..poof! goes the resolution :(

Same with me Sidharth bhai:). All my resolutions to stick to a fitness regime and diet fail and I just succumb to any of the delicacies I have mentioned.

I remember my coach asking me to reduce the calorie intake to which i told him boss - there is only one possibility that you ask me to taste the iron & i shall try best to make it sweat to the last breath. BUT BUT BUT ..dont ask me to leave the food ;)

It did work till i had been training till last year, since the training facility was next door, but then it got shut and i had to wait for almost an year to find a gym close by which i could not till i just saw a new one that opened a month back! And am just trying to get back on the track to enjoy the food even more :p

All the best with your trainings!

Lol

Same with me Sidharth bhai:). All my resolutions to stick to a fitness regime and diet fail and I just succumb to any of the delicacies I have mentioned.

Love all kinds of food
North Indian (thanks to my wife :)) - Mughlai and Awadhi
South Indian kerala/mangalorean (thanks to mom)
Continental (esp. Italian)
Chinese/Thai/Korean

Bangalore has seen a host of new restaurants which has made life very good for a foodie like me.

Santosh - were you referring to Lucky in Mumbai,their biryani is outstanding but they are in Bandra and not Heera Panna so maybe you are talking of a diff. place. The cafe brittania has great food and is a must try in mumbai.

In Blr, there are two fantastic places for north indian (Awadhi) - Rakabdar and Umerkot

Studied in Lko, so love the galawti kebabs in chowk

In Chennai finding restaurants that serve genuine and good north Indian food is a little tricky.

In the slightly medium priced category is Copper Chimney on Cathedral Road. They also have a branch inside City Centre. Both places serve really good north Indian food. As I said before their Aaloo Mutter is superb as is their special masala paapad. This is a large roasted paapad that comes seasoned with nicely cut onions, cucumber, and other salad items topped with slight touch of masala powders. The only issue with this is when you start eating this, you hardly have any place left for food.

In Park Town there used to be a Gujarathi Thali joint. I have not been there for a long time. For something like 30 Rupees, they used to serve piping hot food with simple dishes. The food used to be so tasty that you could eat 12 to 15 rotis before even blinking.

On Habibullah Road, there is small four table joint called 'Aashirwad'. In my opinion, this is one of the best places for north Indian food in Chennai. Always cooked fresh and pure vegetarian, you have to wait for at least 20 minutes after ordering as the dish is cooked only after you order. His mixed vegetable, mutter paneer, dal tadka are all superb.

My wife, Charu, makes some fantastic Evththal Kozhumbu and Kara Kozhumbu using ready made mix from Grand Sweets. Take with hot rice, ghee, and fried paapad (appalam), these can bring tears to your eyes in taste.

Grand Sweets reminds me of something I always stock as home. Their 'Thattai'. Simply the best in the world.

There are two other items that are always top of my list for mouth watering taste. One is a almond (badam) based biscuit called 'Bisticks' made by Almond House in Banjara Hills, Hyderabad. Another is a similar product called 'Badamees' made by Dadu's in Hyderabad. I usually stock 6 months supply of these products on a regular basis.

Another item is the Paapdi Chaat outside UPSC in Delhi. The story goes that one of the UPSC Directors wanted him removed but was thwarted by no less a person than The President of India!!

Cheers

Nice Mouth Watering Thread CorElement:clapping:.

I am big time foodie, even if I say so myself. If I like something, I just can't stop myself and get into "Glutton" mode. While I like to pamper myself and my family with tasty food, I avoid 5 star hotels as the bills leaves a bad taste:lol:. Street Food, Darshinis (self serve hotels), restaurants upto 3 star are fine with me.

I have tried to list my favourite dishes and also mentioned the restaurants\joints location-wise so others can try it too:

Home:
Home Made Cake, Chaat prepared by my wife
Pasta and Lasagne prepared by my wife
Miss the Dosas, Rasam Rice and Golden Fried Chepakalangu (similar to potato, but denser) that my mom used to prepare
Self made Pizzas and Egg Delicacies

Bangalore:
Park Special Chicken at Park N Eat, Seshadripuram
Chicken Rolls at Fanoos, off Richmond Road
Dum Gosht Biryani (Lamb) at Samarkhand, Infantry Road
Lamb and Chicken Burgers at Ice N Spice, St.Marks Road
Tandoori Pomfret at Park View, Vijayanagar
Paani Puri and Sev Puri at Ruchi Bhel Center, Vijayanagar
Masala Puri at Karnataka Bhel, Chamarajpet
Dosa at Vidhyarthi Bhavan or SLV(opposite BDA Park, Banashankari)
Idli, Vada at Veena Stores
Bisibele Baath at MES College Canteen where I studied. I try and sneak in even today with the excuse of meeting my lecturers:D
Any thing at Food Street @VV Puram, Bangalore. Try out something new each time and love it
Any ice cream with chocolate in it at Corner House, Polar Bear
Confectionaries: Apple Cake and Japanese Cake at Niligiris, Egg Puff, Honey Cake at Jayalakshmi Bakery (end of mission road)
All BJN Group Restraunts

Hyderabad\Andhra Pradesh:
Haleem prepared during the holy month of Ramadaan.
Hyderabadi Chicken\Mutton Biryani at Bawarchi or Paradise
Qubani ka Meetha prepared by my sister. She learnt it from an islamic family friend
Ice Cream at Softy Den, Secunderabad
Pastries at Universal Bakery, Secunderabad
Buffet at Secunderabad Club. Loved it every time I went there with my sister and family.

Chennai\Tamil Nadu:
Vatthal Kozhumbu with hot rice and fried Kerala Papadums
Tomato rasam with hot rice, and fried Kerala Papadums
Vadakari
Fried Vanjaram Fish
Sora Puttu
Idiyappam and Puttu
Most Chettinad Food
Chicken\Mutton Biryani at Ambur\Vaniyambadi

Kerala:
Banana and Jackfruit Chips
Boiled Rice with Thairu Kolam with herbal hot water (reddish in color)
Kerala Papadums

Goa
Goan SeaFood (sorry can't remember names)
Goan Confectionaries

Delhi\North India:
Punjabi and Mughlai Food at Parikrama (It is a revolving restaurant)
Sweets at Bikanervala, Karol Bagh
Golgappa\Puchka at gullys of Karol Bagh
Tandoori Chicken at a road side eatery in Gaffar Market
Paneer Delicacies entire North India
Rajma Masala with Rice anywhere in Jammu

International:
KFC Chicken anywhere - can make a bucket of 8 pieces vanish effortlessly
Souvalaki at a 24/7 Greek Restaurant called Stalactites, Lonsdale Street, Melbourne
Chicken Burger at Roosevelts, 45 Collins Street, Melbourne
Wood Fried Pizzas at Leena's Pizza, Hawthorn, Victoria, Australia
Enchiladas at Taco Bill, Melbourne
Subway Footlongs anywhere except India
Thai Fried Rice, Freshest Lychees with Ice Cream, Tender Coconut(tastes different) at Bangkok
Stuck to Indian Food, Thai and Wok in Malaysia and Singapore because I can't stand the pungent smell of many a Asian Sea Food delicacy. I hate it when my "sense of smell" biases me before I even taste it:mad:.

More as I remember *looks at clock to see if it is lunch time already:licklips:*

Bon Apetite! :)

Hi Santhol2,

Have you gone to the above places for work or on food tourism. Awesome listing. :)

My favourites:

• Veechu parotta (@ Annai mess, Triplicane, Chennai) with Butter chicken (from Firdouse, Ice House, Triplicane) - - Idiyappam with sambar.
  • Kesari, basundhi & special curd rice (with grapes and nuts) @Sangeetha, Triplicane.
  • Sambar idly at Ratna Cafe, Triplicane - If viewed in distance, you cannot see the idlis in everybody's plate but only sambar.
  • Lime soda with salt near my room @ Ice House, Triplicane.
  • Idly with various combinations such as mutton gravy, sambar, etc.

I am a Bong staying in New Delhi since birth. Am widely travelled too.

Going by what all gluttons seek and comparing cuisines, there is nothing to match Bengali stuff. Not saying so, because I am a Bong. Just google 'Bengali cuisine' and see the wikipedia. Compare the no. of pages of each region.... details have been provided meticulously.

My personal opinion is a bit different ... for NON-VEG food, there is nothing to match stuff available in Tamil Nadu interiors .... places like Erode ... coastal areas. The spices do the trick I believe and appam is my weakness. Mind you, talking of only non-veg food now.

All the best with your trainings!
No Sidharth bhai, no training\trainer et all. My fitness attempts are only with a threadmill and an eliptical that I have at home.

Santosh - were you referring to Lucky in Mumbai,their biryani is outstanding but they are in Bandra and not Heera Panna so maybe you are talking of a diff. place. The cafe brittania has great food and is a must try in mumbai.

In Blr, there are two fantastic places for north indian (Awadhi) - Rakabdar and Umerkot

Studied in Lko, so love the galawti kebabs in chowk
No Sudhi, not Lucky, something else. Will check with my wife's friend who took me there and update the thread. Will also visit the other places that you mentioned.

Grand Sweets reminds me of something I always stock as home. Their 'Thattai'. Simply the best in the world.

There are two other items that are always top of my list for mouth watering taste. One is a almond (badam) based biscuit called 'Bisticks' made by Almond House in Banjara Hills, Hyderabad. Another is a similar product called 'Badamees' made by Dadu's in Hyderabad. I usually stock 6 months supply of these products on a regular basis.
Grand Sweets - Love their seedai, thattai and murukku. Never been there but a relative always gets us these when they visit Bangalore. In chennai, I also like the small Kara Boondi marinated in home made rasam

Hi Santhol2,

Have you gone to the above places for work or on food tourism. Awesome listing. :)
Food tourism:lol:. All places I have mentioned are Tourism. I have only worked and lived in Bangalore and Melbourne so far.

I am a Bong staying in New Delhi since birth. Am widely travelled too.

Going by what all gluttons seek and comparing cuisines, there is nothing to match Bengali stuff. Not saying so, because I am a Bong. Just google 'Bengali cuisine' and see the wikipedia. Compare the no. of pages of each region.... details have been provided meticulously.

My personal opinion is a bit different ... for NON-VEG food, there is nothing to match stuff available in Tamil Nadu interiors .... places like Erode ... coastal areas. The spices do the trick I believe and appam is my weakness. Mind you, talking of only non-veg food now.
In Bangalore, we have K.C.Das and love their sweets. All the sweets mentioned in Bengali cuisine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and more can be found there. My Favourite is their Chom Choms that are totally different from sweets made by other sweet stalls. Another thing that many may not know about K.C.Das, Bangalore is that they serve some excellent snacks like Poori with a Channa gravy (I forget the name) etc. Been a while since I had those. Problem is it is available only for short durations around 11ish before and 5ish post noon.

Talking about sweets, I am reminded of two more of my favourite sweets 'Peta', a translucent sweet and 'Ghevar' that is made during Rakhi festival - both North Indian Sweets. If I were to make a blanket statement on sweets, Ghevar is the best ever sweet made in India. But I won't, because I am no where close to having tasted everything yet:).

Last edited:
seems to be a much larger variety of affordable top-of-the-line food/sweets than top-of-line-audio equipment!!

Chilled Cold Coffee
Coffee Almond Fudge from Baskin Robbins
Sev Puri
Apple Pie
Biscuits and cookies (anything goes)
Whiskey on Ice
Baked Penne at Big Chill
Missisippi Mud Pie at Big Chill

Another thing that many may not know about K.C.Das, Bangalore is that they serve some excellent snacks like Poori with a Channa gravy (I forget the name) etc. Been a while since I had those. Problem is it is available only for short durations around 11ish before and 5ish post noon.

I think you are referring to luchi. Used to love eating luchi with potato gravy in KC Das in Bangalore. You should also try the golgappas and chole bhature in Karthik Mithai in CMH Road in Indira Nagar. They only serve chole bhature on Sunday mornings though.

If you like authentic ethnic food, you should try mutton dhansak along with cutlets, and finished with caramel custard in Dorabjee's in Pune. The restaurant has been running since 1878(!), and serves extremely good Parsi food (as good as home-cooked Parsi food, as vouched by my half-Parsi friend).

Other things that stand out in my gastronomic memories are mutton kheema dosa in the Delhi School of Economics canteen. Amazing stuff, although this memory is probably 20yrs old.

Eating fresh "nung" in Kerala on a hot day, or for that matter a glass of thandai or shikanji made from raw mangoes in Delhi.

Chole Kulche in Delhi any day. Heaven in a ten rupee plate. Completely different from chole bhature, which is good too, but chole kulche is much better. Sadly, I have not seen this dish anywhere except Delhi.

Similarly, eating a sweet potato chaat in winters in Delhi.
Edit: Just remembered that it is called shakarkandi. Lots of people don't like sweet potato, but please please try this once. The fact that it is smoke cooked over coals and is made into a chaat with healthy doses of chaat masala, kaal namak, other secret masalas, and drizzled with lime, completely transforms this dish into one of the best chaats you would have ever eaten.

Biryani (or haleem when available) in Shadab or Medina in Hyderabad (Paradise has become too commercial). Chinna samosa, osmania biscuit, and strong Irani chai in a cafe (or "kaaayf" as pronounced in Hyderabad).

Paaplet/surmai rawa fry, Mangalorean prawns curry, butter garlic prawns, and neer dosa in Maharaja near Marol naka in Mumbai, or in any other Shetty run Mangalorean joint in Mumbai. Ironically, you get better Mangalorean food in Mumbai than in Bangalore or in Mangalore itself!

Chicken cafreal in Florentine in North Goa. Or Starlight near Baga for Hindu Goan seafood. Oh man, this is good. Or pomfret recheado in Martin's Corner in the South.

Misal pav, sabudana vada, and thalipith in the old parts of Pune.

Last edited:
@ asliarun
Paradise in HYD was actually a BIG disappointment on Biryani. Very much.
Even Delhi has quite a few chefs to teach them how its done!

No Sidharth bhai, no training\trainer et all. My fitness attempts are only with a threadmill and an eliptical that I have at home.

That explains the mute button....

:D:D:D

In Chennai I had too many options.

I used to love a Street Food stall near Brilliant Tutorials in T.Nagar, Unfortunately last time I had visted this was closed.

Rathna Cafe coffee, Velu Military.

South Indian Special Meals in Adyar Sangeetha.

Meals & Nethili Fish Fry @ Amma Restaraunt in T.Nagar

Whilst I used to be in Bangalore these are the regulars I used to visit

Imperial Hotel off CMH Road - Fish Moli, Ghee Rice & Kebab

Bombay Post - Opposite Diamond District - Prawyn Biriyani with Aam Ka Pani

Plaintain Leaf - In Thippasandra - Famous for it's Nellore Fish Curry & Rice

Herbs & Spice - Hope Farm - Prawn Jhingani, A beautiful restaraunt seluded out of Bangalore traffic.

@ asliarun
Paradise in HYD was actually a BIG disappointment on Biryani. Very much.
Even Delhi has quite a few chefs to teach them how its done!

Yeah, it was already in a downward spiral (quality wise) 8 years ago.

Most Hyderabadis are quite passionate about their favourite biryani shop, but seriously, very few places can touch the biryani you get in the old city.

The other biryani that I am passionate about is awadhi or Lakhnawi biryani. The gentle flavours and aromas of saffron, cardomom, star anise, and other spices makes this a veritable delicacy to be savoured in every morsel, unlike the Hyderabadi biryani which is more wholesome and rich. Biryani has to be lamb or mutton of course. Legend has it that in order to better flavour their meats, the nawabs would start feeding aromatic spices and herbs to their livestock and poultry a few days before a feast.. "live marination" if you will.

There's a newly opened restaurant in Viman Nagar in Pune called Bighde Nawab (!) that makes fabulous awadhi mutton biryani.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back