Fool if you think its over...

Wonderful setup! However that CD player is a misfit in that chain. Please get rid of it quick :).

Bro, most people who are not familair with the Rotel RCD 991, seem to give the very same advice.... However, I have seen this DCP, or rather, heard it, KILL the Marantz 7001 and a few others!

Did you know that this one has a fully balanced out's over and above digital and single ended out's?

The SQ aside, this is also rated as one of the most smazing players to mod! Once modded it can take one the current cdp's of upt 1L - head on.

In its own time 2001-03 it was worth 1900 USD.

Apart from Rotel's Michi 10 it is considered to be waaaaay better than their cdps from the current line up.

Hence, my bro, its quite tough for me to give this up....

I however have heard the Ayon 1 S and Ayon 2. very delicious sound. Very tempting. So, if i win a lottery, i'd think of buying 'em!

Congrats, Malvai.. That is one serious looking setup. Happy listening! :)

Cheers, Shriram

Bro, most people who are not familair with the Rotel RCD 991, seem to give the very same advice.... However, I have seen this DCP, or rather, heard it, KILL the Marantz 7001 and a few others!

Did you know that this one has a fully balanced out's over and above digital and single ended out's?

The SQ aside, this is also rated as one of the most smazing players to mod! Once modded it can take one the current cdp's of upt 1L - head on.

In its own time 2001-03 it was worth 1900 USD.

Apart from Rotel's Michi 10 it is considered to be waaaaay better than their cdps from the current line up.

Hence, my bro, its quite tough for me to give this up....

I however have heard the Ayon 1 S and Ayon 2. very delicious sound. Very tempting. So, if i win a lottery, i'd think of buying 'em!

Have never heard your particular cdp but have heard their current top of the line 1072 and no offense to anyone - it was absolute rubbish. It had a bright screechy sound signature. If the 991 isn't like that then that is nice. However even rotel mono blocks sound very similar so I'm not quite sure. The sound had no heft and no mid range to speak about!

The Ayons are absolutely stunning players - completely worth the money.

Have never heard your particular cdp but have heard their current top of the line 1072 and no offense to anyone - it was absolute rubbish. It had a bright screechy sound signature. If the 991 isn't like that then that is nice. However even rotel mono blocks sound very similar so I'm not quite sure. The sound had no heft and no mid range to speak about!

The Ayons are absolutely stunning players - completely worth the money.

You are spot on on your observations reignofchaos... the 1072 is absilutely rubbish. But, this baby is something else! which is why i hang on to it... I'll have to buy a Ayon 2S to truly have a night and day diff in my set up, as of now... and I resisit it purely because CD is not my primary media... Vinyl is...

Manav, forget the whole digital bandwagon dude. Just get it to the point where it is acceptable, even if barely. Concentrate ALL resources on vinyl and lead your happy and blissful life :)

Been there and done that. Digital can ONLY take you so far. Just consume it for what little convenience it provides. Current Digital to Analog converters can only do so much. Hopefully in our lifetime, we'll see converters that can begin to approach what analog does so easily. For now, we are nowhere close to it and won't be anytime soon.

Summary: The best CD players/DACs in the world only hint at analog emulation. Why not go for the top dog (hint hint: analog) and enjoy it for what it is.

Manav, forget the whole digital bandwagon dude. Just get it to the point where it is acceptable, even if barely. Concentrate ALL resources on vinyl and lead your happy and blissful life :)

I am in absolute agreement!

The Rotel CDP is not being replaced as it does it job very well and I'd rather looks at better cartridge or a top dog phono!

So, in time that will happen and not a CDP or DAC upgrade...

I wish I could throw my digital equipment in the trash after I get done spinning some vinyl. However, I can't let go of the convenience AND easy access to a massive library at my fingertips :)

I wish I could throw my digital equipment in the trash after I get done spinning some vinyl. However, I can't let go of the convenience AND easy access to a massive library at my fingertips :)

I sail the same boat my friend!

The CDP is a friend only at the time of wanting to spin the music that I dont have on Vinyl yet!

Otherwise, it would have been a pure, all vinyl set up!

:mad: ..... bloody tough to maintain and xpensive to own ..... just not worth the pain ..... is tooooo painful.

A 100% true! Well almost true ;)

The major expense is a one time occurrence if you do it properly. A quality kit, however, takes very little in the way of maintenance. I have almost zero maintenance with my VPI TNT 6 Hot Rod. The only trouble I take is to get up and change the record. Even more frequent with a 45rpm record, but you know... I do it for the sound quality. That is the reason I even pursued this hobby. To experience the music of the masters, as closely, as intimately and as passionately as they created it.

If, through taking these pains, I can even get 0.5% closer to the creators musical intention...I feel it to be worth my time, effort and commitment.

Earlier, artists recorded albums with the intent that it will be heard all the way through. Each side of the album had the creators story in its sequence, its mood. There was a reason one song followed the other. People invested time to really listen. We lost ALL that in the digital age. We want our music instantaneously now NOW NOW. We don't like one song, we skip to the next or in shuffle mode ANY other song. The intent of an "album" is completely lost in this process. Welcome to the modern day life you and I share :)

I found vinyl to break that mold and get us to that musical "intent" in a much more fulfilling manner. The sound quality...well, thats the payoff for taking all that pain. :eek:

Happy listening!

Last edited:
:mad: ..... bloody tough to maintain and xpensive to own ..... just not worth the pain ..... is tooooo painful.

Tough to maintai- yes! Especially in our dusty environs....
xpensive to own - again yes! But then, if you have a decent rig, the differences are clear... The money spent feels: WELL SPENT...

Just not worth the pain - this i feel is subjective....

Get a good rig, live with it for 3 months, you'll never go back to CD/digital sound...

Yeah..... Malvai and Shaizada ....... definitely, I do agree on the SQ angle. The depth of the SQ is awesome .... even on my vintage HMV mono stuff, which has an additional hissssss (very slight though) and can never come anywhere near the Deutsch Clearaudio.

But, the thing is, I don't possess "His Master's Ears" ......... to feel too much of a difference. Get on to the TT only once a while, whence get tired of the digital sound signature. Currently, the TT caters to 10% of my listening time.

A 100% true! Well almost true ;)

The major expense is a one time occurrence if you do it properly. A quality kit, however, takes very little in the way of maintenance. I have almost zero maintenance with my VPI TNT 6 Hot Rod. The only trouble I take is to get up and change the record. Even more frequent with a 45rpm record, but you know... I do it for the sound quality. That is the reason I even pursued this hobby. To experience the music of the masters, as closely, as intimately and as passionately as they created it.

If, through taking these pains, I can even get 0.5% closer to the creators musical intention...I feel it to be worth my time, effort and commitment.

Earlier, artists recorded albums with the intent that it will be heard all the way through. Each side of the album had the creators story in its sequence, its mood. There was a reason one song followed the other. People invested time to really listen. We lost ALL that in the digital age. We want our music instantaneously now NOW NOW. We don't like one song, we skip to the next or in shuffle mode ANY other song. The intent of an "album" is completely lost in this process. Welcome to the modern day life you and I share :)

I found vinyl to break that mold and get us to that musical "intent" in a much more fulfilling manner. The sound quality...well, thats the payoff for taking all that pain. :eek:

Happy listening!

Shaizada - what struck me is what you say about the intent of an 'album'. So true. Personally using a HTPC, I jump all around among various albums as dictated by my mood. But I think your argument that these albums themselves are mood generators or modifiers as the case may be, has merit.

But I am not even thinking about a Vinyl setup because I clearly do not consider myself upto either procuring or maintaining these delicate implements. I have seen the care which audiophiles exhibit towards their LP's and this may be something I never can summon. Or so I think today. :)

Shaizada - what struck me is what you say about the intent of an 'album'. So true. Personally using a HTPC, I jump all around among various albums as dictated by my mood. But I think your argument that these albums themselves are mood generators or modifiers as the case may be, has merit.

But I am not even thinking about a Vinyl setup because I clearly do not consider myself upto either procuring or maintaining these delicate implements. I have seen the care which audiophiles exhibit towards their LP's and this may be something I never can summon. Or so I think today. :)

One problem is that until a couple of decades ago, song quality was more or less consistent in most (if not all) songs of an album. Hence, listening to an album was like reading a book. It was a journey that we took with the artist (and the producer!), sometimes linear, sometimes abstract, sometimes meandering, but mostly enjoyable.

Nowadays however, most artists focus their energies only on one or two songs in an album. Perhaps this is dictated by record labels or marketing pressure, I don't know. However I do see a dramatic difference in song quality in the "feature" song versus the other songs in an album.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back