Fool if you think its over...

malvai

Banned
Banned
I got married last year- Feb. It was a love marriage. So, my wife knew me to be a nut for good music.
What she had not bargained for, was me being a nut for good gear as well. But I guess one lives and learns!
Just until a little before I got married I was into mostly mid-fi/vintage gear. Did my rounds of the Hand-me-down Sansuis and Technics, pre-owned NAD, etc, etc... The source would be the mass market DVD player and my trusty Technics SL 1300 turntable (yeah, its seen me through many parties, breakups, a divorce and two marriages!)
Then something started changing. I was just not satisfied with the teeny-tiny upgrades (in retrospect I wouldnt call them upgrades...)
Hence, one by one, every piece of equipment has seen several upgrades. Much to my wifes amusement, she still doesnt believe it that this is the final rig! (Give or take a phono-amp, cdp or a restored Thorens TT or two!)
Most of the journey has been quite well documented here. The last year has been quite enlightening in many, many aspects.
But, one lesson that I have learnt very well is: Never take a shortcut on the component!
Beg, borrow, steal, but get only that component that you can live with.
It took me a long time to come to a conclusion about which speakers to finally go for... But once I found them, it took me less than a trice to get them.
In some cases, I found a lot of friends helped me in choosing the right components. As many a time we cant audition the components being recommended. One can only trust your friends judgement.
Like in the case of my pre and power amps...
I had not heard both the items and there really was no way to either! But, with a giant leap of Faith in what my dear pal was saying I just went ahead and bought the Audio Research LS2B pre-amp.
But when it came to making a decision on getting rid of perfectly lovely Bryston 3 BSST power amp to bring in a KRELL FPB 200, I had to really work things in my head and heart.
Things like Its too expensive.
I havent even heard it.
What if its a gross mistake?
But, is it realistic to travel all the way to Vellur (from Mumbai) and lug a 45 kg amp what??? Its 55 kg when box packed???
But then, what the heck one says t himself. Lets do it!

When all is done, one sits back with a nice red wine music pulsating loud, sounds permeating your soul and the heart thanking the friends who guided me through this journey...
Special mention here goes to: Arup (A_E), Gaurav (Shaizada) and Dinyaar (Dinyaar!).

Now, as Chris Rea bottle necks his guitar and croons, I say its (upgrade) over!
And Mr. Rea sings: Fool if you think its over... Its just begun!

Attachments

• CIMG3738.jpg
    CIMG3738.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 513
Last edited:
But, one lesson that I have learnt very well is: Never take a shortcut on the component!
Beg, borrow, steal, but get only that component that you can live with.

couldnt agree with you more... has been my costly lesson as well:sad:

Manav congratulations for your lovely setup, your journey sure reminds me of mine that how I started and now the way I am moving with things. Anyways coming to Mumbai on 30th and will be there till 3rd so if have a chance then will sure like to meet you in person and listen to your fantastic setup.

But, one lesson that I have learnt very well is: Never take a shortcut on the component! Beg, borrow, steal, but get only that component that you can live with.

Sir,
Nice to read your sincere post . But will you ? referring to your above statement.

Regards

malvai,quite a journey in ur pursuit of sonic heaven :clapping:.u have some incredible gear.enjoy the music,and lets hope the current rig stays for a while before the itch starts again,heh.boys will be boys,and what are they without their toys :D?!!cheers

congrats malvai. I asked shaizada to lend me the phono only to learn you have already pocketed it :)
So - did you buy a brand new krell or a pre-owned?

Sirji,
I heard ur older setup and found it is most amazing listen.
now you are changing it!! ( I know, reemember your last call!)
Hats off to your dedication!!

Very good Manav

Not heard your set up yet so the following need not be 100 % accurate.

Reduce toe in on the Thiels. U get a superb wide wall of music.

The wood/glass cabinet behind that left speaker can be accomodated elsewhere in the room? Does it not ring when u play at moderate to loud volumes as its in the corner behind the speaker?

Am glad those granite blocks are in use

Lastly if u dont get the MANUAL from boomarang I will xerox one and give u the next time we meet. Am sure this can be got from the net too. Its pretty specific on placement.

The Krell looks serious. Congratulations.

Rgds

Manav congratulations for your lovely setup, your journey sure reminds me of mine that how I started and now the way I am moving with things. Anyways coming to Mumbai on 30th and will be there till 3rd so if have a chance then will sure like to meet you in person and listen to your fantastic setup.

Ashish, you're most welcome to come!

But, one lesson that I have learnt very well is: Never take a shortcut on the component! Beg, borrow, steal, but get only that component that you can live with.

Sir,
Nice to read your sincere post . But will you ? referring to your above statement.

Regards

Brother S.P. Krishna, I already begged (my wife), borrowed (from friends) and stole (from my investments) to get to this! As of today i'm broke, and I say this not as a joke...

congrats malvai. I asked shaizada to lend me the phono only to learn you have already pocketed it :)
So - did you buy a brand new krell or a pre-owned?

Bro, I bought it off him. Its a steal for the price. I might be upgrading to a Nighthawk or something, and would let go fo this then... lemme know if you want it...

Congrats & will love to visit your home.
We missed you in 1st Mumbai meet.

Sure spiro. Come anytime.

Very good Manav

Not heard your set up yet so the following need not be 100 % accurate.

Reduce toe in on the Thiels. U get a superb wide wall of music.

The wood/glass cabinet behind that left speaker can be accomodated elsewhere in the room? Does it not ring when u play at moderate to loud volumes as its in the corner behind the speaker?

Am glad those granite blocks are in use

Lastly if u dont get the MANUAL from boomarang I will xerox one and give u the next time we meet. Am sure this can be got from the net too. Its pretty specific on placement.

The Krell looks serious. Congratulations.

Rgds

Yup Dinyaar, have been experimenting with the toe-in everytime I lsten, it gets tweaked... will do more tweaking when you come over! And yup the Granite blocks are really really handy! Thanks once again for them!

Sirji,
I heard ur older setup and found it is most amazing listen.
now you are changing it!! ( I know, reemember your last call!)
Hats off to your dedication!!

Hemant... the sound is now something else! It has jumped up in quality by several hundred notches! the ARC preamp and the Krell power are a different league!

Malvai

Absolutely perfect title for the tread. Upgrade............Where does it end? It also brings out the financial planner in you ( beg , borrow , steal ) .I am also infected with upgrade bug and looking for a power amp...

Congrats on being more closer to your dream.

Thanks

Pratim

Congrats on being more closer to your dream.Pratim

hi pratim,

the dream is never static, always dynamic -
as one gets closer to the dream - it moves ahead - always faster than you can run - and if you are in a ferrari 360 modena - the dream drives a BMW M5.

regds suri

That is one killer looking setup Manav. You deserve the quality of sound you must be getting with all the dedication and time you've put into it. That experience can't be bought anywhere....

For the most part, I'll say forget about the equipment now. Go deeper into the music....that is exactly what I've been doing. Quality reissued vinyl gets VERY expensive VERY quick. Have to pace and time yourself. However, if the timing is wrong, vinyl gets out of print. I've been picking a few artists and diving deep into their catalogs. It's so much fun this way.

Cheers.

Last edited:
That is one killer looking setup Manav. You deserve the quality of sound you must be getting with all the dedication and time you've put into it. That experience can't be bought anywhere....

For the most part, I'll say forget about the equipment now. Go deeper into the music....that is exactly what I've been doing. Quality reissued vinyl gets VERY expensive VERY quick. Have to pace and time yourself. However, if the timing is wrong, vinyl gets out of print. I've been picking a few artists and diving deep into their catalogs. It's so much fun this way.

Cheers.

Absolutely brother! Now, I will get back to the business of acquiring vinyl!

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back