My first small DIY project - Surround stands for Q Acoustics concept 20

Subbiya

Hi Friends,
Here is my small DIY speaker stands for Q Acoustics Concept 20 speakers. No carpenteršŸ˜ I used D-Nut to mount the base plate and Top plate, so it can be removed anytime.

Not yet varnished. Have to do it.

Attachments

• IMG_20240308_225232.jpg
    IMG_20240308_225232.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20240308_225428.jpg
    IMG_20240308_225428.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20240308_232323.jpg
    IMG_20240308_232323.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20240308_232334.jpg
    IMG_20240308_232334.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Use any type of speaker spike for vibration isolation. But your bottom plate seems to be the same size as the top one. In that case, if you use a speaker spike, it's easy to fall down if someone accidentally hits it. Check its stability and add at least some bush-type feet to improve the sound quality. It's good to see your DIY project.
track-audio-speaker-spikes-set-of-8.jpg

Hey @Subbiya, the aesthetics of solid wood is unmatched.
If it were me, I'd stain the wood black and give it a matte finish polish. I did the same with one of the tables I restored since most of the equipment is black.

Initially, I planned to build speaker stands with wood, but later switched to mild steel. I explored different types of wood like teak, Honne, and Sal, and received a quote around 5-6k for a 4*4 inch square column. However, for experimentation, I opted for cheap wooden poles used for scaffolding. While they are sturdy, they tend to crack radially. Through this experimentation, I learned that screws inserted laterally into wood don't hold well; they need to be perpendicular to the direction of the grains for a secure hold.

Upon considering the weight of professional speaker stands, which can exceed 15 kg per stand, I realized wood wouldn't suffice, so I switched to mild steel. However, for surround speakers, these stands should be more than adequate. As suggested by @hifimaddy, adding a larger or thicker plank at the bottom can lower the center of gravity. In my speaker stand design, the bottom plates are double the thickness of the top plates and have a 50% larger area.

Hey @Subbiya, the aesthetics of solid wood is unmatched.
If it were me, I'd stain the wood black and give it a matte finish polish. I did the same with one of the tables I restored since most of the equipment is black.

Initially, I planned to build speaker stands with wood, but later switched to mild steel. I explored different types of wood like teak, Honne, and Sal, and received a quote around 5-6k for a 4*4 inch square column. However, for experimentation, I opted for cheap wooden poles used for scaffolding. While they are sturdy, they tend to crack radially. Through this experimentation, I learned that screws inserted laterally into wood don't hold well; they need to be perpendicular to the direction of the grains for a secure hold.

Upon considering the weight of professional speaker stands, which can exceed 15 kg per stand, I realized wood wouldn't suffice, so I switched to mild steel. However, for surround speakers, these stands should be more than adequate. As suggested by @hifimaddy, adding a larger or thicker plank at the bottom can lower the center of gravity. In my speaker stand design, the bottom plates are double the thickness of the top plates and have a 50% larger area.
exactly. If you are using it in a living room and someone accidentally hits it, it will easily fall down. So to match it, you need a thicker bottom plate. In my case, I used a thick stone slab, and the speaker stands weigh more than 20kg . double the weight of my speakers.

My DIY speaker stands https://www.hifivision.com/threads/my-diy-speaker-stands.95642/

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back