Footers, isolators, what works, when and why?

Gaia 3s on granite ?
Yes Sir. You Need a Flat surface for Gaia 3s, ideally you need to get Carpet Spikes (another 60Usd per Speaker) If you have a carpeted floor. But Putting a Granite Slab underneath works equally well at fraction of the cost.

I have used Isoacoustics Gaia 3s, Svs Subwoofer Isolation feet and SF Cerapod under my Focal Aria 926 floorstanders. Gaia 3s are at a different level altogether as far as the SQ benefits are concerned. SVS Subwoofer is a Economical alternative, and SF Cerapod were better than Factory fitted isolation feet. FYI the Aria 926 comes with a Heavy Steel Base and Spikes ; I've attached pictures of Cerapod and Isoacoustics Gaia 3 for reference.

I'd recommend every one to give a try at least, for their speakers. I'm very much convinced about their efficacy and they'll be a constant accessory to my future speakers as well.

Attachments

• IMG_20201101_091152_compress30.jpg
    IMG_20201101_091152_compress30.jpg
    693.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 20201119_183541_compress90.jpg
    20201119_183541_compress90.jpg
    537.7 KB · Views: 48
Gaia 3s on granite ?
Yes. Found the thickest slab I could find (around 28sft). Cut it into a few sizes. Sandwiched two pieces of 18”x15” for use under each speaker. The rest @drkrack is using under equipment/speakers.

Initially I placed the Gaias directly on the tile floor and I found them making the highs pretty sharp. So did a lot of (silly) tweaks before settling on a granite base.

See attached picture.

Attachments

• 15C2458C-4BBE-4CB9-A5F4-793BE7B1F33B.jpeg
    15C2458C-4BBE-4CB9-A5F4-793BE7B1F33B.jpeg
    348.1 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I too have placed my speakers on granite slabs but wondering if the Gaias are needed. I have half squash balls as well and when placed under the granite plank, it made no difference to the sound.. If I place the squash balls between the granite slab and speaker, will the squash ball absorb the vibration or pass them on to the granite slab?

I too have placed my speakers on granite slabs but wondering if the Gaias are needed. I have half squash balls as well and when placed under the granite plank, it made no difference to the sound.. If I place the squash balls between the granite slab and speaker, will the squash ball absorb the vibration or pass them on to the granite slab?
From my experience I would be highly skeptical.

IMO Gaia are worth every penny as they were a substantial improvement over stock spikes. Ymmv

Got the iso accoustics orea indigo on trial . Currently have them under the dac. Makes a noticable difference . Imaging and ttansparency both improved imo. Next will try under amp. Too heavy for me to move myself so ... isolation definetly worth the investment. Next to get some for TT and speakers

Tried my own DIY isolation under speakers with 4 marble slabs with thick soft silicon isolation pucks in-between, also tried oehlbach XL air springs, noob sound spring isolators. And then finally the isoacoustics gaia3. I can vouch that the isoacoustics are heads and shoulders above everything else ive tried. And though they are not cheap, I would consider them very VFM, as trying to upgrade my existing speakers to achieve the same benefit in sound would be way more expensive than investing in 2 sets of isoacoustics.

Having seen the benefits of proven isolation under speakers and being a convert. I got a pair of townshend seismic speaker podiums. Will post my impressions once I've tried them out. Better still if @drkrack or @thedude , with definitely better hearing than me :D , can compare the townshend with the isoacoustics gaia's and share here for the benefit of everyone. If there is not a significant difference between the two, then the isoacoustics gaia's with their greater flexibility will be all that one ever needs.

Tried my own DIY isolation under speakers with 4 marble slabs with thick soft silicon isolation pucks in-between, also tried oehlbach XL air springs, noob sound spring isolators. And then finally the isoacoustics gaia3. I can vouch that the isoacoustics are heads and shoulders above everything else ive tried. And though they are not cheap, I would consider them very VFM, as trying to upgrade my existing speakers to achieve the same benefit in sound would be way more expensive than investing in 2 sets of isoacoustics.

Having seen the benefits of proven isolation under speakers and being a convert. I got a pair of townshend seismic speaker podiums. Will post my impressions once I've tried them out. Better still if @drkrack or @thedude , with definitely better hearing than me :D , can compare the townshend with the isoacoustics gaia's and share here for the benefit of everyone. If there is not a significant difference between the two, then the isoacoustics gaia's with their greater flexibility will be all that one ever needs.
Look forward to your impressions sir..

I had a chance to try the townshend but didn’t take it. The FM who offered is someone I trust and he mentioned the townshend were bit better.

Look forward to your impressions sir..
Thanks sir :)

But will be sometime before i can return back home due to the international travel bans. But will update as soon as I can :
Did the Oehlback XL Air springs make any positive difference? Also which speakers are you currently using?

Yes sir. The oehlbach's made a improvement under the pmc floor standers, but were bettered by the gaia's. But the oehlbachs made a big difference under my tube amps. So they remain there now. Will have to try the isopucks and see if they improve on the oehlbach.

I had a chance to try the townshend but didn’t take it. The FM who offered is someone I trust and he mentioned the townshend were bit better.
I've heard the same from members who've used both. But considering the price difference have to see if the delta in improvement is worth it in the end.

I would love to see a blind test between high end isolators and simple foam or rubber furniture toes...maybe i'm wrong and audiophiles will get it right each time.

I cudnt imagine my set up withiut isolators now. Using the isoacoustics amd have tried the Stillpoints. Stillpoints blew everything else to dust.. can i afford them ? Hell no … would i if i could .. hell yeah

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back