For every $1000 in music sold in the west in 2009, the average musician made $23.40

Re: For every $1000 in music sold in the west in 2009, the average musician made $23.

The same is true for films too. A producer gets about 30% share of the net collection of a film. Net collection is total collection minus the entertainment tax (approx 35%). It is strange world and promoting a film or music is getting costlier by the day.Record sales and theatrical collections are drying up the world over and the no of releases are increasing.No wonder, artists are releasing music free online and making money from live shows/concerts.

On a side note anyone remember the song taxman by the Beatles? Apparently they had to pay 95% super-tax on their earnings and that's how the song got written.

Re: For every $1000 in music sold in the west in 2009, the average musician made $23.

I wonder how many musicians in India tap into local audience.
I fancy that way they will make more money.
At least in the metros I think ... No?

sorry i dont understand what you mean by tapping local audience. I thought most musicians did. Dont the local rock/pop bands, film music singers and classical musicians have concerts in the city? In fact very few artists are actually performing internationally. Yes the money is more outside of the country and those who do get to perform abroad will prefer to continue to do so.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back