frankmehta gets a new Home Theater: Lots of pics. 56k Alert!

frankmehta

Heartiest greetings to everyone for viewing this thread guys!

It was a LONG wait, getting this system started. I just joined HFV and I had NO knowledge. It's ONLY because of the vast knowledge here, that I have been able to setup my final system.

Opened the following threads to reach this point:
http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/11371-frankmehta-goes-speaker-shopping-few-honest-auditions.html

http://www.hifivision.com/television/10706-tale-two-tvs-frankmehta-needs-lcd-plasma.html

http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/10094-denon-avr-1910-xxxxx-next-what.html

It has been a long journey guys, and this is the final product. A short review in the appropriate section soon. For now here's the pics.

Configuration:
Plasma: Panasonic TH-P50V20D
Denon AVR1910 at the helm
Dali Ikon 6 floorstanders to do the singing in front
Dali Concept center channel to speak for the moviestars
Wharfedale Diamond 10.FS Bipolar Surrounds to do the backup vocals
HSU Research VTF 2 MK3 Subwoofer to do the floor shaking stuff
The Wires used are the Sommer NYFAZ Interior Cabling that does a stellar job at being hidden in walls but serves decent audiophile quality.

Here goes guys. Kindly let them load completely!!

The design of your room and AV Components is something very similar to what we are planning on. (Including the French Window). Looks like we have very similar tastes.

Congratulations on a beautiful setup.

Regards,

Sunil

Hello FM !

Congrats;

You got what you were looking for, however, I am not so sure if what you have purchased has been installed 'correctly' !
The main speakers are really close to the wall - so how do you manage to get a sound stage depth ? The speaker should be at least 3 feet or more away from the rear wall.
The sub is perfectly positioned but the main Dali's are not...Just my humble observation...

besides, with all the wooden panelling below & behind the speaker - you will have a classic example of 'sing along' syndrome.
Please do watch an action movie @ a reasonable loud volume & let me know.....
All the wood will flutter & sing along....
This all looks super - but it is not the way a HT has to be set up...
I am really sorry for being a 'wet blanket' here, but this is what I feel.
I am not into HT & have left it 10 ++ years back, but these are some of the basic things I had observed & learnt back then....

Congrats , frank.

Great setup. Don't know whether to complement you on you setup or the decent interior designing work done. maybe both.

And the view from those long french windows of Mumbai must be amazing !

Lucky guy.

thnks

Last edited:
Congrats on this wonderful setting.

I would request you to post a break down of price for your complete AV setup. I don't know how that 56K will hold its ground. After seeing everything I firmly believe that its a typo error and you forget to add 1 before 56K.:lol:

Thanks and regards

I would request you to post a break down of price for your complete AV setup. I don't know how that 56K will hold its ground. After seeing everything I firmly believe that its a typo error and you forget to add 1 before 56K.:lol:

Thanks and regards

congrats frank.. wonderful setup..

@chiron.. he meant the internet speed.. alert for dial up connections (56k)..

Frank, the whole place is looking awesome. Though they are front ported, the general opinion seems to be that the ikon 6 needs plenty of breathing space, as Shanti has pointed out.

Awesome!!! Totally inspiring!!!

Cheers!

Very Nice and neat setup... N'joy music and movies. Once suggestion you can bring down your surround speakers to little above the ear level.

I did have that in mind, but I can't do that now for aesthetic purposes. It's ok. They still make their presence felt at that height. I wasn't happy with them earlier, but now I don't have anything to complain. They actually needed breaking in!

Awesome. Awesome. What's the size of your room?

Thanks! My room is about 300 - 315 sq ft.

cool setup. the batman mask adds a nice touch though.
congratulations.

Thanks. That's actually not a mask. It's the jewel case of the Dark Knight Bluray disc. IT's a limited edition pack.

Great man. Mindblowing.
Thanks brother.

:licklips: slurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp

Drooool :lol: I love the way it has turned out!

congo ! Total Damages ?
No damage as of now. But yes, that sub can cause SOME damage to the ears and the furniture around. LOL! :yahoo:

The design of your room and AV Components is something very similar to what we are planning on. (Including the French Window). Looks like we have very similar tastes.

Congratulations on a beautiful setup.

Regards,

Sunil

Oh thanks for that compliment!!! I am glad you'll like the interiors. This part of the room has been designed by me, and the colours by my mom. I am proud of this part.
AND wait till you see the other part of the hall. It has french doors facing a balcony overlooking the Mumbai skyline.

Just wonderful

:) Thanks!

Hello FM !

Congrats;

You got what you were looking for, however, I am not so sure if what you have purchased has been installed 'correctly' !
The main speakers are really close to the wall - so how do you manage to get a sound stage depth ? The speaker should be at least 3 feet or more away from the rear wall.
The sub is perfectly positioned but the main Dali's are not...Just my humble observation...

besides, with all the wooden panelling below & behind the speaker - you will have a classic example of 'sing along' syndrome.
Please do watch an action movie @ a reasonable loud volume & let me know.....
All the wood will flutter & sing along....
This all looks super - but it is not the way a HT has to be set up...
I am really sorry for being a 'wet blanket' here, but this is what I feel.
I am not into HT & have left it 10 ++ years back, but these are some of the basic things I had observed & learnt back then....

Hi Shanti. No sorry and all ya! In fact, good advice like this is hard to come by.
Anyways, about the installation. We had the guys from Boomarang come and do it. And I was very skeptical about 3 things:
1. The wooden unit
2. The 'floating' platform
3. The closeness to the unit

As soon as we powered the unit, and started playing music ALL THESE aspersions were thrown out of the window! Beaaaaautiful. Just the way I wanted. The Dalis are very very refined speakers and they do come into their own when you give them space. But when you talk about space, I think, most reviews say they need a large room to perform. They are front ported and as far as I see it, are performing fabulously with a distance of 3 inches from the wall. Just fine.
As for the 'singing' part you mention, the wood used is really good quality and very thick. It's not ply. There is PURE teak wood behind. And trust me, there is NO singing, no ringing, no resonance and no vibration and no form of any interference when it comes to reproduction of sound (music/movies both)
The whole thing is really amalgamating well, and the blend is so perfect that I can actually manage to play music with the subwoofer on (it's a difficult task to achieve) but music sounds AWESOME when the subwoofer is on. Just perfect. This is possible ONLY after the Audyssey setup, before which it felt like the music was coming from different speakers at different times.

Awesome setup. WHy not hang the batman near the painting and start putting a collection of movie masks there?
HI. Thanks for the compliment. As I mentioned earlier, it's just a jewel case, and my mom wouldn't prefer hanging it anywhere as it would affect the overall 'theme' of the hall which she has so carefully and meticulously put together.

Congrats , frank.

Great setup. Don't know whether to complement you on you setup or the decent interior designing work done. maybe both.

And the view from those long french windows of Mumbai must be amazing !

Lucky guy.

thnks

Thanks Spidey!! The view from those french windows is pretty good, and the hall is open from 3 sides, so those blackout curtains are very essential. That's the only drawback so far. Since the TV is in running in mode and contrast is @ 0, it's difficult to watch during the day when the curtains are open.

Thanks and regards

I will post a cost to cost breakdown soon guys. The 56 k implies a warning for people with dial-up connections which would bottleneck transferring so much data for the pics.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back