Freq response of my Front towers (Not expected)

My speakers are not even a year old. From the very beginning it didn’t sound as good as my bookshelves. I thought may be I need to burn in. Right now, there is difference but not outright difference. The vocals still feels suppressed a bit. I am not sure how a speaker with blown out tweeters should sound. Should it be absolutely obvious? That is not the case though here.
Hi Deblin

Sorry to hear this. There is a very very strong possibility, that tweeter connecting clips ( push on spade connectors ) have come off during transportation. The clips have come loose either at the crossover board or at the tweeters itself.

So please inform the dealer first. And with his permission ( not to void warranty ), open up the board at the back of your speaker, where the speaker binding posts are provided. The crossover should be mounted on this board. Then check if the tweeter wires with the clips are connected here. If they are there. Then open the tweeter screws ( Please do not touch the ribbon at all ), and check if the wiring clips are connected here too.

Iam just posting a random pic of the clips at the crossover. You have to check the white wires with the red and black marking at the ends. This is where the clips snatch onto the crossover. Your crossover could be on this board or will be on a sperate board inside the cabinet. You will have to take out the crossover to inspect the wiring. All the best...and fondly hope its just a loose connection.

crossover.jpeg

Edit : Just remembered now. If the connection at both crossover and tweeters is okay. Then try connecting a 1.5V DC battery to the tweeter terminals with a wire. If you hear a click when you connect the battery, then the tweeters are fine. Only try it once, as ribbons are fragile. All the best.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot. Really appreciate your efforts in writing such a long post to help me out. I will ask the dealer and try to open the cabinet.
Once again, thanks a lot.
One more option: Please check for any DC in the amplifier output. Tweeters aren't built to handle much power, and DC could bypass the crossover and fry the tweeter coils. I had this happen once (in 1988) with two rather expensive tweeters (Morel MDT33). In addition, if what Yelamanchili suggested does not work, check the series capacitor in the tweeter circuit. Usually, when capacitors fail, they "open circuit". I still doubt this is the cause because for both capacitors to fail is very rare. It would mean poor QC at the manufacturer. All the best.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back