Front speakers

ajithlal

Dear Lovers of music..,

I would like to know about selection of floor standing mains..
Here I ve no chance for audition..
So ur comments count..!!

My preferences:

Rich Solid bass..
Warm mids..
Crisp highs..

No rocks or pops..Just classics, Gaza
ls, Melodies..

Pocket size: Up to 30K.

Brands/Models in Mind:

MS 908i, Energy, JBL ES90, JBL E100..

Waiting for ur guidance..

Ajithlal

My suggestions would be in the lines of MS 906/908i, MA BR5, Diamond 9.5, Tannoy F4 etc in this price bracket.

I never liked JBL for various reasons, but then it??s just me and my opinion. Do take an audition of all these models if possible and see which one impresses you and works with your gear and genre of music.

All the best.

In that budget and considering your musical tastes, I'd suggest you get bookshelves. There are not many good floorstanding options around 30 grand.

Last edited:
In your Budget, good bookshelves would have better Quality Bass(controlled rather than boomy) than floorstanders , unless you come across a used pair of floorstanders- which is quite poss; recently a pair of Monitor Audio RS6 Floor standers went for very near your budget.
A pair of well cared for ,used speakers is a good way of getting better quality in a limited budget.
BUT, speaker sound is a very personal thing;there's nothing like using your ears for an audition.

Why bookshelves..?
Will the ve enough bass response compared to flrstanders?

Thats the cardinal sin of most folks when entering high-end audio... going for a floorstander instead of a bookshelf on a limited budget. I was guilty of the same as well. Unfortunately bigger is not always better.

The crux of the matter is that bookshelves will not extend down to 30Hz. The ones in your budget would probably have a -3dB cut off point at 50Hz or so. However that is always more than enough to give enough mid-bass which essentially is what we perceive as the bass slam and dynamics. All you'd miss out on is the bottom octave 20-40Hz. However in return what you'd get is much more accurate sound where the bass does not lose definition inspite of the speaker being pushed hard.

Also there are very few musical instruments that actually generate any perceivable signal in the 20-40Hz range and going by your musical tastes, there hardly is any. What you'd appreciate later once you settle down with your system is midrange purity and an extended airy top end. Booming bass is what you'd dislike the most.

Last edited:
If you want Rich Solid bass, Warm mids and Crisp highs, then I would say that Monitor Audio floor standers BR5 suggested below by unleash_me, are just right for you. Remember to audition them before you decide.

Which amp/source are you using?

For what it is worth take a look at Wharfedale 9.5 speakers also.

ReignOfChaos, you said:

Thats the cardinal sin of most folks when entering high-end audio... going for a floorstander instead of a bookshelf on a limited budget. I was guilty of the same as well. Unfortunately bigger is not always better.

I am sure hard core reviewers (particularly Stereophile) will be ready to come to blows with you. :)

Not really. This is a common and well accepted advice, though I believe that Ajithlal would not be satisfied with a standmount, as he is looking for "Rich Solid bass".

I have MS 908i with 903i centre and 905i surround. Will definitely recommend it. Its value for money. Sounds great looks great. Go for it

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back