Frustrated in Pune - why not just import?

ngd

I had a simple requirement: want to audition Energy Take 5 (and QA) with Denon 1910 in Pune... and I am not able to do it. Nobody has this combo. They say that they can order it if I am interested but how can I order without auditioning? And in fact these dealers are merely going to just do the ordering process, why not just import it from some web store from a place where they have 220V? I am sure it will still be cheaper than buying from the dealers here.

I had a simple requirement: want to audition Energy Take 5 (and QA) with Denon 1910 in Pune... and I am not able to do it. Nobody has this combo. They say that they can order it if I am interested but how can I order without auditioning? And in fact these dealers are merely going to just do the ordering process, why not just import it from some web store from a place where they have 220V? I am sure it will still be cheaper than buying from the dealers here.

you are right. pune is not good place for buying anything.. why cant you try from Mumbai? for most electronic items the warranty/service is provided by the companies. may be you can take help from mumbai guys to get good deals or locate places for audition. a trip to there is not that time consuming these days.

My cousin faced the same problem. All he needed was a budget CD player & nobody could help him in Pune. AV Excellence had nothing budget & it was the same when I called Sound N Vision. Some dealers treat you in a way that you don't belong there if you don't have 50K for a CD player & this is what I got when i called up Sound N Vision. Don't think I will ever approach them for any Hi Fi needs even if i have the money to throw. I finally had to get the CD player from Dev in Coimbatore & I am based in Bangalore trying to get a CD player for my cousin in Pune. The whole process was so easy with Dev & he had what I wanted. Settled for a Marantz 6002.

Is this "Dev" guy a dealer? Can I order from him? Does he have a web site or an email address?

As far buying from Mumbai, can anyone recommend me a good store whether they treat middle class customers like me who have total budget of 1L for HT with respect?

Why dont you come to Mumbai & take Demo?
Only confirmed the combo is in Demo & you need only single day.

Dev runs Bass Treble in Coimbatore. They have a wbesite but its not on any real use. Products have not been put up.

Bass Treble

Dev sells quality used equipment too & will back you up if there is a problem with the equipment. My friend who took the plunge into the world of Hi Fi seperates bought his entire rig from Dev. All used equipment. Some rare stuff like the SAE Parametric Equalizer. The rest of the equipment was a Pioneer Tape Deck, Marantz CD Player, Rotel Pre-Power, Marantz Equalizer & JBL 4800. I own the 4800s now. Bought it from my friend. Superb speaker system though its more suited for hard hitting music.

I think Atria Mall at Worli in Mumbai will get you these 2 brands under the "same roof" but in 2 different stores!

The store named Thump (3rd floor?) is run by RIVERA INTERNATIONAL

I guess the ProFx is still here and thy deal in Denon.

Dev runs Bass Treble in Coimbatore. They have a wbesite but its not on any real use. Products have not been put up.

Bass Treble

Dev sells quality used equipment too & will back you up if there is a problem with the equipment. My friend who took the plunge into the world of Hi Fi seperates bought his entire rig from Dev. All used equipment. Some rare stuff like the SAE Parametric Equalizer. The rest of the equipment was a Pioneer Tape Deck, Marantz CD Player, Rotel Pre-Power, Marantz Equalizer & JBL 4800. I own the 4800s now. Bought it from my friend. Superb speaker system though its more suited for hard hitting music.

I got a 4year used NAD 320 from Bass-Treble for 7.5k.
Prestine condition, Good packaging, Shipped and delevered in hyderabad the next day. No problems what so ever.

Can I get contact info for BassTreble? Most pages on their web site don't work. So am unable to find contact information.

But seriously guys, why not just go ahead and import stuff? What's the customs duty?

Can I get contact info for BassTreble? Most pages on their web site don't work. So am unable to find contact information.

But seriously guys, why not just go ahead and import stuff? What's the customs duty?

customs is, today, a flat rate of 12.5% for loudspeakers and amplifiers throughout india.

if you have zeroed in on a particular piece of equipment, then it makes sense to get it fedex'ed to your home (they will pay customs on your behalf).

very difficult to return if you are shipped defective items (unlikely, but could happen).

i , recently, received a shipment of scanspeak drivers, with one of the cones damaged, most likely due to rough handling by delhi customs (with the conversation going like this - Custom off. 1 - "arre chootiye, thujhe kitne red label miley?" Custom off.2 - "Janaab, aaj kuch nahin, uhuhuh, isme kya, ye madisound loudspeaker company kya hota hai?" Custom off. 1 " Khol re, bhinchud, leh, skudiver usme ghusa kar khol - jaldi kar" --- "Khooooooooos" and the cone of the scanspeak - GONE!)

importing at our own risk, but if you get undamaged shipment, you could save a bit of money.

Last edited:
Hai Suri,

What will be the shipping costs from US/UK?

Can you throw some light?

N.Murali

Is this "Dev" guy a dealer? Can I order from him? Does he have a web site or an email address?

As far buying from Mumbai, can anyone recommend me a good store whether they treat middle class customers like me who have total budget of 1L for HT with respect?

Yes i can suggest u try Boomerang.
Speak to Vijay/Grattan.
Another advantage is the wide choice of gear in various budgets under one roof.
Is this the general feeling regarding dealers in bbay? Do most of u feel they treat u shabbily if u are not spending much?
Rgds

I thought you were looking @ options to 'import' things not available in pune/india?

Actually, I was frustrated with dealers here who don't allow you to audition any products but just tell you that 'they can order it for you'. If I am to buy stuff w/o auditioning then might as well go direct! But thanks for your recommendation. This opens up a lot of options for me. Just as a clarification: for special orders they simply charge 15% more than what you get from other web sites, right?

Hello ngd,

No need to get frustrated.
Did you you try Silo Media at Pune (Contact Mr. Berham or Sudarshan)?
They have budget equipments.

Thanks

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back