Full HD Video on HD ReadyTV

frnd08

Has anyone tried playing a full hd movie/video file on hd ready tv? how does it look?

Has anyone tried playing a full hd movie/video file on hd ready tv? how does it look?

Like spiro mentions, it will be downgraded to the resolution you have setup for HD viewing. Usually 720p or 1080i. The pic still looks beautiful and there will not be any chopping unlike the fullscreen/widescreen crap that standard DVDs have gotten us into. On my 50 inch TV HD pic looks much better than upscaled ones as they should, i,e., even a 720P TV will make the BR pics that much sharper and you dont necessarily have to go to 1080P to enjoy them.

Like spiro mentions, it will be downgraded to the resolution you have setup for HD viewing. Usually 720p or 1080i. The pic still looks beautiful and there will not be any chopping unlike the fullscreen/widescreen crap that standard DVDs have gotten us into. On my 50 inch TV HD pic looks much better than upscaled ones as they should, i,e., even a 720P TV will make the BR pics that much sharper and you dont necessarily have to go to 1080P to enjoy them.

ok. actually i have an hd ready tv (KLV26T400A). the dvds are usually cropped, so its not actually full screen imaging when i watch a dvd. thats not the case with divx/xvid videos though, they are mostly full screen. is this a fault?

ok. actually i have an hd ready tv (KLV26T400A). the dvds are usually cropped, so its not actually full screen imaging when i watch a dvd. thats not the case with divx/xvid videos though, they are mostly full screen. is this a fault?

well my sony tv ,when it detects a wide screen signal it fills up the screen,but if the signal is in 4:3 format u can still strech it manualy, but will look distored and funny.
1080p FHD videos will always be better the a HD video when playing in a HD screen,since most HD lcds if not all HD lcds have a resolution of 1366x768 which is more then the HD videos resolution at 1280x720p,so the tv will have to do a slight upscaling,u can opt for 1:1 pixel but will not occupy the entire screen,hence when u play a FHD 1920x1080 or even a 1440x1080 the tv will fill the entire screen without upscaling.

well my sony tv ,when it detects a wide screen signal it fills up the screen,but if the signal is in 4:3 format u can still strech it manualy, but will look distored and funny.
1080p FHD videos will always be better the a HD video when playing in a HD screen,since most HD lcds if not all HD lcds have a resolution of 1366x768 which is more then the HD videos resolution at 1280x720p,so the tv will have to do a slight upscaling,u can opt for 1:1 pixel but will not occupy the entire screen,hence when u play a FHD 1920x1080 or even a 1440x1080 the tv will fill the entire screen without upscaling.

i'm not talking about all videos, divx videos automatically fill up the entire screen. but original dvd videos doesnt. just check that out.

i'm not talking about all videos, divx videos automatically fill up the entire screen. but original dvd videos doesnt. just check that out.

may be ur setting in ur dvd player is set to output a 4:3 signal,i play dvd in my XBOX(not 360)and my tv detects a wide screen signal,xbox does have settings so ur dvd player should also have the settings.
BTW i play onle english movies that are usualy in wide screen format.

i dont think i'm being able to explain this. wait i'll show you a picture

KDL40V2500.jpg

in this pic, you'll see that although the video is of an original dvd , the picture isnt full screen. there are two bars on the top and the bottom of the display. thats what i'm talking about.

thanks for ur reply. but my default setting is 16:9. when i watch divx/xvid videos the video covers the entire screen, but when i watch dvd content (4.5gb stuff with .vob, .bup and .ifo files in it), the screen produces a "cinemascope" effect with two black bars one on top and the other in the bottom.

here's one more pic of how an original dvd looks on an lcd.(from lcdtvbuyingguide.com)

40xbr4-rb.jpg

i hope you can see that video aint covering the entire screen space.

i dont think i'm being able to explain this. wait i'll show you a picture

KDL40V2500.jpg

in this pic, you'll see that although the video is of an original dvd , the picture isnt full screen. there are two bars on the top and the bottom of the display. thats what i'm talking about.

Hi,

I think most of the Hollywood movies are "wider" than the 16:9 wide mode.. so we would still get those black bars though the bars are thinner than in a 4:3l TV. Somebody correct me if I am wrong ...

i completely agree with u on this.

when i watched those dvds on crt, the black bars were huuuuuge. the picture size was tiny, to say the least. on the lcd, the black bars are narrower, but its still there. :(

i completely agree with u on this.

when i watched those dvds on crt, the black bars were huuuuuge. the picture size was tiny, to say the least. on the lcd, the black bars are narrower, but its still there. :(

lcds and plasma still get black bars when playing that annoying hollywood formats such as 2.35:1,2.39:1 .so blame hollywood.
anyway to solve the issue philips has launched a new tv which has a ratio of 21:9.
Philips introduces ultra widescreen Cinema 21:9 LCD TV

Here is something as a background info:

Black bars are normal on your TV under certain circumstances. This is because the programmes shown on TV were originally shot in a number of different aspect ratios.

Movies shown in theatres are typically shown in a wider ratio (1.85:1 - very close to 16:9) - or they can be shown in 2:35:1 (a picture much wider than tall)

One way that this has been dealt with is with "pan and scan", which involves removing pieces of the picture to fit the screen. A whole bunch of movies are pressed in their Original aspect ratio (OAR) - as the director intended - mostly widescreen. These are the movies that create bars above and below on standard TVs. The programming shot for standard TV's creates bars to either side of the image on widescreen TVs.

Here are some basic descriptions of the various "black bars":

• 16:9 High Definition Programming:

True High Definition Programmes are 16:9 and you will see no black bars on your widescreen TV.

• 16:9 High Definition Programming, originally shot in 2.35:1 aspect ratio (2.35:1 OAR).

Some movies will be shown this way and it is normal to have black bars above and below the movie/programme. Most TVs cannot properly stretch HD images, so you are "stuck" with the black bars.

DVD players have a menu for selecting "widescreen or 16:9" TVs. This should be set to 16:9 or widescreen when watching DVDs on a widescreen TV.

• 1.85:1 Enhanced for Widescreen (Anamorphic) DVDs

These DVDs are the correct aspect ratio to fill a widescreen TV. You will need to set the TV to it's "horizontal only stretch mode" to properly see this type of movie. There should be no black bars (or the black bars may be very thin). If you use the vertical and horizontal stretch mode by mistake, everyone will be tall and skinny. Many newer HDTVs do this automatically.

• 1.85:1 "Standard" DVDs (Not Enhanced for Widescreen (non-anamorphic))

These DVDs are the correct aspect ratio to fill a widescreen TV. You will need to set the TV to it's "horizontal and vertical stretch mode" (zoom) to properly see this type of movie. There should be no black bars (or they can be very thin).

• 2.35:1 Enhanced for Widescreen (Anamorphic) DVDs:

These DVDs have an aspect ratio that is much wider than it is tall, so it will not fill a widescreen TV. You will need to set the TV to it's "horizontal only stretch mode" to properly see this type of movie. There will be black bars above and below the movie. If you use the vertical and horizontal stretch mode by mistake, everyone will be tall and skinny.

• 2.35:1 "Standard" DVDs (Not Enhanced for Widescreen):
These DVDs have an aspect ratio that is much wider than it is tall, so it will not fill a widescreen TV. You will need to set the TV to it's "horizontal and vertical stretch mode" (zoom) to properly see this type of movie. There will be black bars above and below the image. If you absolutely cannot stand the black bars, you can use the DVD player's zoom mode to zoom in on the picture and eliminate the black bars, however, you will now miss the "outermost" parts of the movie and you will not be seeing what the director intended.

• 1.33:1 DVDs
These DVDs are the correct aspect ratio to fill a 4:3 TV. You will either see bars on the sides, or you can use one of the stretch modes like you do for any standard definition signal.

thanks for the info. i need to save this thing for future reference!

btw, you mean that if i get hold of a "widescreen" edition of a dvd, i wont be seeing those black bars, right?

and how do i know which video is which?

Last edited:
thanks for the info. i need to save this thing for future reference!

btw, you mean that if i get hold of a "widescreen" edition of a dvd, i wont be seeing those black bars, right?

and how do i know which video is which?

As I mentioned in my note, enhanced for widescreen can come in 2 ratios (1.85:1 or 2.35:1). For one you will get black bars and not for the other AFTER you set your DVD setting to widescreen mode.

The way to recognize this is that DVD covers have the info printed on top usually at the top. Also another simple way to remember when you see the titles is

non-anamorphic = letter boxed = black bars on top/bottom

Here is a link to see the effects I put down in words.

The Ultimate Guide to Anamorphic Widescreen DVD for Everyone!

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back