Funny Experience

paritosh

Funny (bad) Experience While Audutioning JBL Studio One

hi

i went down to JBL store at my local dealer in Rajkot, Guj. for a second audition of JBL Studio One pkg.

i was really surpriced how ill informed the guy there was. after a little time listening to the Eagle's Hotel Callifornia multi channel audio in DTS format, i felt something was wrong. felt the sorrounds were putting in a lot of efforts while the front towers were almost disapeared. so, to clear out the doubt, i asked him to switch over to Sterio mode instead of 5.1 channel. to that the guy said that he will have to use another CD, the AVR 142 did not have the ability to convert it to 2 channel. what an .......!!! and he said he did not have one there... i said i could bring one from my car and he acted as if he remembered something and said he had one somewhere in the stores. he replaced the disc and played it. after listening for a few seconds i asked him to check the connections. i said he had connected fronts to the rear ports and rears to the fronts!!! he did not agree. i took the remote from him and switched the AVR to sterio mode (which the dealer said was not possible) to our horrible surprice, only the rear pair was firing and the towers were completely muted!!! then he agreed with me and checked his connections on the AVR and realiseed the mistake and re connected the speakers properly. we again played the same track in both sterio and multi channel mode. i could finally audition the capabilities of the Studio 180 FS pair in totality

it was the first time i was audutioning a pair of towers and they sounded a bit boomy to me. the room might be the culprit there as it was just 8 ft wide and 12ft long with towers set at about 1ft away from side and rear walls.

what i mean to say is that a brand like HK should ensure that their products are displayed in as good a condition as possible and not
the clumsy way i auditioned today.

Last edited:
I wish Jbl/Hk guys read your post and reward their sales person there :D

well, i think the best one would be to REWARD the frenchise with some good product training.

this is what seems to be lacking in most of the Brands that have a good mind share amoungst the customers. i have personnel experience on similar line with SONY as well when i was going to purchase flat panel tv. the staff at both stores in the city was having very basic knowledge on LCD / LED / Plasma / HD / 1080p or 1080i technologies. they were almost reluctant to share more info with us though we were pretty much certain of buying a Sony Full HD LCD. this prompted us to check out Panasonic as the dealer was on the way to home. the staff there shared a good amount of info on the products and technologies and explained in details why it made sense to go for a 42 inch Plasma and not LCD (both the panels were available with Panasonic). so, what was supposed to be a casual visit, ended up in an immediate purchase and i would acradit rhat to the Panny sales guy. i was not initially convinved for a plasma as i believed in going with the latest proven tech when buying electronics but after having been attached with this forum since last couple of months, i am happy with my decision as i se more and more of the members making the same choice and giving a thumbs up for plasma as their panel of choice.

big brands like SONY take their customers for buffoons and have a Take It OR Leave It attitude.

I had similar funny 'auditions' and experiences, at ALL the 5-6 audio- shacks -in - a- row, at the MGF Metroploitan Mall in Gurgaon. Ditto the A2V at Select City Walk. Incompetence, Ignorance, Indifference galore. Bad products, bad placement, completely clueless about music.

Beware the herd instinct! Walk out, better still, RUN out of any audition, where the guy starts flogging those tired old horses, Hotel California, Money For Nothing, Dark Side Of The Moon, The Wall. Or puts on a Bond movie for a home theatre audition!

Attention all AV companies and dealers. You are hereby directed to take immediate action to educate all the sales persons working under you, in all matters related to AV. You should also ensure that all of them join HFV forum immediately and read the threads at least twice a day. Any laxity in this matter will be viewed seriously.:cool:

[A typical letter we get almost everyday from our 'superior officers':D.]

I was looking round a pretty decent general household/electricals shop in Singapore. i wanted to look at their computer bits counter, but the hif/ht section was on that side of the room, and they turned on some general demo stuff. I think that ht salesman think that the subwoofer is the thing that should be heard the most, and that the bass knob should always be at max.

Booming? It was like a thunderstorm.

The more this gets accepted as normal and correct, the more people want to get out of their booming cars and sit in their booming living rooms, "listening" through their backsides, the more, I expect, the speaker manufacturers will tune their kit to do that!

I had similar funny experience with Sonodyne at their company outlet in South City Mall in Kolkata. The sales persons as well as their manager know nothing of speaker placements and how to use yamaha av they sell. They sell Yamaha products without a clue how to use them.

I had taken a DTS disc, which the avr failed to recognize. I told them to properly adjust their Pioneer DVD player. They replied that the disc was not a DTS disc at all.The same disc when taken to the Yamaha store faced the same problem but the sales person immediately adjusted the sony player and avr recognized the DTS format instantly.

My sonodyne SONUS V2 HT package sounds way better with my own settings and speaker placements.That is the reason why any knowledgeable person will not be impressed by Sonodyne speakers at their outlet. The HT setup is not calibrated at all, and they have no clue what callibration means.

When will they realize, how they lose customers due to their policy of promoting ignorance in the audio feild.

Last edited:
i agree about JBL fronts sounding boomy, i have experienced that first hand...

are talking about in general for all JBL towers or specifically for Studio 180? in my case, i thought, the boominess had more to do with the room it was set up in.

also, pl let me know how they compare to Onkyo's tallboy 728 pairs

Re: Funny (bad) Experience While Audutioning JBL Studio One

hi

i went down to JBL store at my local dealer in Rajkot, Guj. for a second audition of JBL Studio One pkg.

what i mean to say is that a brand like HK should ensure that their products are displayed in as good a condition as possible and not
the clumsy way i auditioned today.

Just so you know, I brought this to the attention of a friend in JBL India. They have taken the feedback quite seriously and followed the matter up from the highest level. They have taken already taken steps to see that the best experience is assured to customers.

If you are interested, you might like to go back to the showroom and get an audition again. The showroom is very interested in making sure you do not feel unsatisfied.

DISCLAIMER: I just shared your experience with a good friend in JBL India who was (very much) in a position to do something. I am not associated with JBL or Harman-Kardon in any way.

thanks..its really good on the part of JBL to take the matter seriously. it shows their willingness to improve upon the quality - not only in products but in totality. i'll sure visit them once again give feedback.

also, it shows the kind of regards the audio industry has to our firum. makes me proud to be a part of it. a great big congratulations to the team. cheers....

Thiugh Baiju has put it in a lighter tone, I believe its a very good idea to invite the Audio Mfg to be a part of the forum. This way, it would be a much livelier interection and discussion. The dealer members can help us in this in a great way. They can invite the co. representatives to join the forum or the founding / veteran members or members like hydra who know people in the business can invite them to join.

what do you guys say?

Last edited:
Re: Funny (bad) Experience While Audutioning JBL Studio One

DISCLAIMER: I just shared your experience with a good friend in JBL India who was (very much) in a position to do something. I am not associated with JBL or Harman-Kardon in any way.

Sam ? (Sameer ) ??

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back