Fursat ke raat din.....

Ashenden

Hello friends,

Yesterday (Aug 18th) was Gulzar's 85th birthday. I realized that there is no separate thread to discuss his wonderful poetry and writing. So this will be a great opportunity to fill that lacuna.

His career as a lyricist started with S.D. Burman in Bandini and still continues today, though his presence has been limited in the past 2 decades.

I'll start with Mausam, which he had directed too. "Dil Dhoondtha Hai" sung by Bhupinder Singh and composed by Madan Mohan needs no specific mention, but I'll include a little trivia: the lyrics is derived from Mirza Ghalib's poetry :

"Jee dhoondta hai phir wahi fursat ke raat din baithe rahe tassavur-e-jaana kiye hue" - Mirza Ghalib

Gulzar, who admires the great poet had borrowed from his work, by replacing "Jee dhoondta hai" with "Dil dhoondta hai" and then improvises in his classic manner to create a gem

Please add your favorites from the master, to this thread. Happy listening :)

A lesser known gem from Gulzar, composed by Salil Chowdhury from the movie "Swami Vivekananda"

From his later releases: From the movie "Raincoat" which was an adaptation of O.Henry's short story, "The Gift of the Magi". This is a wonderful semi-classical composition by Debjyoti Mishra and sung by Hariharan

Last edited:
Gulzar, who admires the great poet had borrowed from his work, by replacing "Jee dhoondta hai" with "Dil dhoondta hai" and then improvises in his classic manner to create a gem

Continuing on the topic of Mirza Ghalib's influence on Gulzar's poetry.....

It is a known fact that Gulzar has been enamored by Ghalib's poetry and considers him, his greatest inspiration. His dream was to research, write and direct a movie depicting the great Urdu poet's life and emotional and financial struggle which concluded with the TV Series which aired on Doordarshan in 1988. In Gulzar's own words, "His (Ghalib's), poems, his lifestyle, his behavior, everything are a great inspiration. At a time when people used to carry their religion on their shoulders, Ghalib talked about humanity. The man lost seven children and carried a huge sadness inside him but despite that he was known for his sense of humour"
When it comes to greats, there is a very thin line separating them from being called an egotist and being different from the rest of the crowd. Gulzar had rightly attributed this trait to Ghalib.
Gulzar's inspiration from Ghalib's poems is evident in his later works as well. This couplet which made it's way into Mani Ratnam's Dil Se.... is another example:

"Ishq par zor nahin hai ye wo aatish "Ghalib" jo lagaye na lage aur bujhaye na bane" - Mirza Ghalib

The music composed and sung by Jagjit Singh and Chitra Singh, had made Ghalib's poetry known to the masses and are some of his (Jagjit's) finest renditions. I'll include one of my favorite ghazal's from the TV serial:

Last edited:
Hello friends,

Yesterday (Aug 18th) was Gulzar's 85th birthday. I realized that there is no separate thread to discuss his wonderful poetry and writing. So this will be a great opportunity to fill that lacuna.

His career as a lyricist started with S.D. Burman in Bandini and still continues today, though his presence has been limited in the past 2 decades.

I'll start with Mausam, which he had directed too. "Dil Dhoondtha Hai" sung by Bhupinder Singh and composed by Madan Mohan needs no specific mention, but I'll include a little trivia: the lyrics is derived from Mirza Ghalib's poetry :

"Jee dhoondta hai phir wahi fursat ke raat din baithe rahe tassavur-e-jaana kiye hue" - Mirza Ghalib

Hello friends,

Hi
Sandeepss
Nice write up commemorating the maestro. I want to add something more. Sampooran Singh kalra is the name of the poet. Gulzar as he is fondly called is his nom de plume . This great poet once learnt Bengali to read the works of Tagore. Of his creations I like the songs of Andhi, Ijajat, parichoy etc. He also had a very good relationship with another genius R.D. Burman. Thanks sandeep for your writing.
Regards
Bhaskar

These four movies below share a common thread, they were all directed by Gulzar. There are more movies, but these are some of my favorites.

From Meera(1979), from the Hindu mystic poet Meera Bai's poems composed by Pandit Ravi Shankar and sung by Vani Jayaram

From Aandhi(1975), lyrics penned by Gulzar, composed by R D Burman. Sung by Kishore Kumar and Lata Mangeshkar

From Libaas(1988), composed by R D Burman, sung by Lata Mangeshkar

From Lekin(1991), the music won lyricist Gulzar and composer Hridaynath Mangeshkar and singer Lata Mangeshkar, National Awards

Last edited:
Hi
Sandeepss
Nice write up commemorating the maestro. I want to add something more. Sampooran Singh kalra is the name of the poet. Gulzar as he is fondly called is his nom de plume . This great poet once learnt Bengali to read the works of Tagore. Of his creations I like the songs of Andhi, Ijajat, parichoy etc. He also had a very good relationship with another genius R.D. Burman. Thanks sandeep for your writing.
Regards
Bhaskar
Hi Bhaskar, thanks for your kind words :) Please do share links to your favorite songs in this thread.

Special thanks for the info on Tagore, a poet I greatly admire and a reason for my introduction to the beautiful Bengali language. Gulzar had translated few of Tagore's works to Hindi and the collection was composed by Shantanu Moitra and released by Saregama as a CD "Gulzar in conversation with Tagore". I'll link it here, in case you've not heard it :)

Hi Bhaskar, thanks for your kind words :) Please do share links to your favorite songs in this thread.

Special thanks for the info on Tagore, a poet I greatly admire and a reason for my introduction to the beautiful Bengali language. Gulzar had translated few of Tagore's works to Hindi and the collection was composed by Shantanu Moitra and released by Saregama as a CD "Gulzar in conversation with Tagore". I'll link it here, in case you've not heard it :)

Hi
Sandeepss
Happy to know that you like Bengali literature and have admiration for Tagore. I have never listened to what you have sent here. So thanks. However Gulzar has another Bong connection. Perhaps you know this. Gulzar's wife Rakheeji is from Bengal and in an interview that I read in the ANANDABAZAAR , a famous Bengali newspaper Gulzar sahib had jokingly told that he liked Tagore and learnt Bengali and also had nuptial knot with a Bengali maid for his love for Bengal:D From this apart Gulzar admired Mr. BimalRoy and looked upon him as a Guru. As regards your request to link a song , I can't link it being not so tech savvy. Even I can't show which records I am listening to in the thread entitled " vinyls I am listening to" for the same reason.please keep on writing and enjoy reading Bengali literature.
Regards
Bhaskar

Hi
Sandeepss
Happy to know that you like Bengali literature and have admiration for Tagore. I have never listened to what you have sent here. So thanks. However Gulzar has another Bong connection. Perhaps you know this. Gulzar's wife Rakheeji is from Bengal and in an interview that I read in the ANANDABAZAAR , a famous Bengali newspaper Gulzar sahib had jokingly told that he liked Tagore and learnt Bengali and also had nuptial knot with a Bengali maid for his love for Bengal:D From this apart Gulzar admired Mr. BimalRoy and looked upon him as a Guru. As regards your request to link a song , I can't link it being not so tech savvy. Even I can't show which records I am listening to in the thread entitled " vinyls I am listening to" for the same reason.please keep on writing and enjoy reading Bengali literature.
Regards
Bhaskar
Thanks, Bhaskar for sharing that interesting conversation :) Whenever I listen to Rabindrasangeet I keep a copy of translation open on phone, for better enjoyment. I was hoping someone like you would start a thread on Tagore’s poems, please consider it when you’re free :)

Digressing just a bit, but for those interested in the Mirza Ghalib serial, the movie based on it is avalable on YouTube in four parts. Mind you, it's a total of six and a half hours.
If you dig deep, you might possibly find the whole serial on YouTube. I see several parts are definitely available.

Ah, Gulzar. My absolute top favourite.

Below from Kabuliwala, one of his very early films (1961).
Haunting music by Salil Chaudhury and singing by Manna Dey.

Digressing just a bit, but for those interested in the Mirza Ghalib serial, the movie based on it is avalable on YouTube in four parts. Mind you, it's a total of six and a half hours.
If you dig deep, you might possibly find the whole serial on YouTube. I see several parts are definitely available.
Thanks for pointing this out, this series was Gulzar’s pet project. He had spent a great deal of time researching on the subject so as to get the facts, dates, mannerisms and dialect of the people right. In the recently released documentary on Jagjit Singh, “Kaagaz Ki Kashti”, Gulzar reminiscences those days and considers himself lucky to get Naseeruddin Shah to play the role. Shah, being a natural, ended up becoming one with the great poet :)
IMO, this series and Jagjit Singh’s interpretation in his compositions, brought Ghalib’s poetry to the masses.

Last edited:
Hello friends,

I have read or seen somewhere that the original tune of this song "Dil dhoondta hai" was similar to " Tere liye" from the movie Veer Zaara. Later it was changed. Even after change I find both the songs has lot of similarities and both are great songs.

I have read or seen somewhere that the original tune of this song "Dil dhoondta hai" was similar to " Tere liye" from the movie Veer Zaara. Later it was changed. Even after change I find both the songs has lot of similarities and both are great songs.
Thanks, now that you mentioned, I too notice the similarities :) Both songs were composed by Madan Mohan, so that might have had some influence?

I believe Gulzar and Khayyam collaborated for just one film, Thodi Si Bewafai.
Feels apt to post here

Thanks, now that you mentioned, I too notice the similarities :) Both songs were composed by Madan Mohan, so that might have had some influence?

The songs of Veer Zaara has been inspired by old compositions of Late Madan Mohan. It was actually his son, Sanjeev Kohli, who dug out old archives and helped them revive as new soundtracks. The producers of the movie also released the orginal vs revamped versions of all songs of veer zaara on CD & vinyl. That version of 'dil dhoondta hai' is taken from there only where Late maestro Madan Mohan used old/existing lyrics to his new music compositions for presentation. But now we are digressing from the thread.

Best Wishes to Gulzaar sahab. His lyrics come out like a fresh breeze of simple enough words that we use in our daily conversations, at times giving an entirely new dimension to sadness & romance. Who else would have thought that tere bina zindagi se shikwa to nahi, tere bina zindagi bhi lekin Zindagi to nahi!

Regards,
Saket

Gulzar’s collaboration with his close friend Jagjit Singh, whom he fondly calls “Ghazal-jit”, have given us two splendid albums in addition to the TV Series “Mirza Ghalib”. In Jagjit’s own words, “His (Gulzar’s) way of thinking and expressing his poetry are entirely unique. There’s always a new twist in his poetry and it is sometimes difficult to compose tunes for it”

The ghazals are interspersed with recitations by Gulzar, bringing his own unique touch to the album. I’ll include a haunting ghazal, one from each album, here:

“Zindagi Kya Hai” from Koi Baat Chale(2006). This album stands for poetic innovation. Despite Ghazal being an ancient art-form, Gulzar, like Tagore, keeps trying to experiment with imagery. The uniqueness of this album is it's written in Triveni, a form of three-lined poetry invented and used by Gulzar. We can see below, it is different from the normal two-liner couplet : Sher , the additional third line gives it the first two, a different dimension

Zindagi kya hai jaanne ke liye
Zinda rehna bahot zaroori hai
Aaj tak koi bhi raha to nahin

Saari waadi udas baithi hai
Mausam-e-gul ne khudkashi karli
kisne barood boya baagon mein

Aao hum sab pehenle aaine
Saare dekhenge apna hi chehra
Sabko saarein haseen lagenge yahan.....

…...

“Ek Purana Mausam Lauta” from Marasim(1999). This album was a groundbreaking musical experiment that has withstood the test of time. It took the duo more than six years to compile this album.

Gulzar is multitalanted creative person. His mastery of Lyrics is well known and loved. But remember he gave us some of the most liked classic movies like Parichay, Kitaab, Mausam, Mere Apne, Koshish. Who can forget a comedy 'Angoor' I still enjoy watching it.
Regards.

addition :
Kishorkumar, Panchamda and Gulzar

Gulzar is multitalanted creative person. His mastery of Lyrics is well known and loved. But remember he gave us some of the most liked classic movies like Parichay, Kitaab, Mausam, Mere Apne, Koshish. Who can forget a comedy 'Angoor' I still enjoy watching it.
Regards.

addition :
Kishorkumar, Panchamda and Gulzar
Hi
Mr. Hiten
Thanks for the link that enables me to listen to this nice song and for your brief but nice write up. But I can't restrain myself from adding something here and hope you will be kind enough in allowing a slight digression from the main topic. Angooor was probably inspired by a Bengali movie BHRANTI BILAS in which Bengal matinee idol Uttam Kumar and Bhanu Bandopadhyay acted. This movie was inspired by William Shakespeare's The comedy of errors. Mere Apne was inspired by a Bengali movie Aponjon. I watched all those and enjoyed a lot. Because the Hindi versions mentioned here are as much enjoyable as the Bengali movies. This proves how talented is our Gulzar sahib.
Regards
Bhaskar

Bhaskarbhai,
We are all friends here. You can call me Hiten :). No problem from my side of going offtopic. Let the discussion flow.

Didn't knew about Bengali Movie. I know Uttam Kumar, a fine actor, Lots of talented and creative people from Bengal. At present I like Kaushiki Chakraborty voice. Others with my limited exposure I would say Utpal dutt as another fine actor. And every one has heard about Suchitra Sen. A little uncomfortable thing is people compare them with foreign actors. so Suchitra Sen is Greta Garbo of India, Dev Anand is Gregory Peck of India, AR Rahman is called Mozart of Madras. Absolutley ridiculous mindset. These people are on their own OR atleast should not be compared with.

Regards

Bhaskarbhai,
We are all friends here. You can call me Hiten :). No problem from my side of going offtopic. Let the discussion flow.

Didn't knew about Bengali Movie. I know Uttam Kumar, a fine actor, Lots of talented and creative people from Bengal. At present I like Kaushiki Chakraborty voice. Others with my limited exposure I would say Utpal dutt as another fine actor. And every one has heard about Suchitra Sen. A little uncomfortable thing is people compare them with foreign actors. so Suchitra Sen is Greta Garbo of India, Dev Anand is Gregory Peck of India, AR Rahman is called Mozart of Madras. Absolutley ridiculous mindset. These people are on their own OR atleast should not be compared with.

Regards
Hi
Hiten
Thanks for your friendly approach. Since you addressed me as Bhai, I should call you Dada :D.However I agree with you. It is nothing but the hang over of the colonial slavery that compels some people to compare the celebrities of India with the foreigners. That is indeed ridiculous. But happy to know that you like the cult figures whom I also adore. Again happy to know that we here have many common subjective matters .
Regards
Bhaskar

The songs of Veer Zaara has been inspired by old compositions of Late Madan Mohan. It was actually his son, Sanjeev Kohli, who dug out old archives and helped them revive as new soundtracks. The producers of the movie also released the orginal vs revamped versions of all songs of veer zaara on CD & vinyl. That version of 'dil dhoondta hai' is taken from there only where Late maestro Madan Mohan used old/existing lyrics to his new music compositions for presentation. But now we are digressing from the thread.

Best Wishes to Gulzaar sahab. His lyrics come out like a fresh breeze of simple enough words that we use in our daily conversations, at times giving an entirely new dimension to sadness & romance. Who else would have thought that tere bina zindagi se shikwa to nahi, tere bina zindagi bhi lekin Zindagi to nahi!

Regards,
Saket
Does the Veer Zara Lp has the original "Dil dhoondta hai"? I never played the other two LPs. Don't really know what they have in there.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back