Future Audiophile awards for Pass Labs XP12 Preamp.

Absolute Phase

Pass Labs XP-12 Preamplifier Reviewed, by Greg Handy:
Pass labs is on demo at Absolute Phase, Bangalore (Exclusive

While Pass Labs bares founder and chief designer Nelson Pass’ name, his business partner, Wayne Colburn, is responsible for the company’s elaborate line-level preamplifier designs. First, let’s clarify the terminology: this type of component is often called a preamplifier, line stage, line stage amplifier, or line stage preamplifier. Many manufacturers and media companies use the terms interchangeably regardless of feature set. More specifically, a line stage is a preamplifier without a phono stage (which is a specialized input that allows ultra-low voltage turntables to be connected to the preamplifier).

The Pass Labs lineup inclines four line-level preamplifiers in total. The three upper-end models distinguish themselves by separating the power supply from the gain stage with two- or three-component configurations. The entry-level XP-12 is a single-chassis design and the subject of this review. Borrowing several areas of design and circuitry from the multi-chassis, top-to-the-line Pass Lab XS line stage preamplifier, the XP-12 is the ultimate expression of trickle-down technology. With a retail price of $6,100, it provides a good taste of the uber-sophisticated XS line stage preamplifier for a fraction of the price.

The XP-12 was initially introduced in 2017, which is an eternity ago by typical consumer electronics standards. However, in the high-end world, it is common for products to stand the test of time, only being upgraded when something substantial changes, which warrants a new product model.

Preamplifiers are often overlooked as they are not the sexiest of audio components compared to an amplifier that creates the power or visually compelling speakers. But I offer caution since a poor-performing preamplifier can drastically and negatively impact your system. Case in point, many years ago, I upgraded my speakers only to realize upon listening to them in my home that they lacked the transparency and emotion I had heard during my in-store audition. I continued to upgrade the amplifier, which offered improvements, but my system still lacked the visceral performance I had experienced during my store demonstration. Removing my preamplifier from the system was suggested, taking the source, a Compact Disc player, directly to the amplifier, and voilà … success at last! The amplifier and speakers came to life so substantially that I lost sleep that night, simultaneously experiencing both astonishment and accomplishment as I could not believe the noise, distortion, and layer of obscurity my original preamplifier was imparting to my overall system.

Preamplifiers can also affect the frequency response, imaging, soundstage depth, and width. Some may call this a sonic signature that alters the original recording. Others suggest that the preamplifier can more successfully pass a more linear and extended frequency response that exists on the original recording. While we will not solve this debate here, we can all agree that a revealing preamplifier allows other components in your system to display their full capabilities. Let’s dig in deeper to see what the Pass Labs XP-12 offers.
Full Review: https://futureaudiophile.com/pass-labs-xp-12.../
Full Specs: https://www.passlabs.com/products/xp-12406863610_749140460590481_9211423707794784000_n.jpg

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back