Gaana.com - HD Music ?

amitk777

I just noticed today ( and may be it has been avaliable earlier) that Gaana.com now allows selection of quality of streaming. For low fee of 199/month it allows for HD music streaming, this looks like terrific deal ( if it works)

Anybody has tried it ? What does HD music mean ?

-Amit

It is 199/year which I find Cheap

How I can test quality of streaming ? any software to check bitrate, encoding on online streaming etc??

High quality means 320 kbps? and Streaming music quality as high as 128kbps ??
:mad::mad::mad::mad:
tht's what I found on site..
------------------------

High quality Music

320 kbps music

Streaming music quality as high as 128kbps, and offline sync music as high as 320kbps, for the ultimate quality experience

------------------

:mad::mad::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::cool::rolleyes:

High quality means 320 kbps? and Streaming music quality as high as 128kbps ??
:mad::mad::mad::mad:
tht's what I found on site..
------------------------

High quality Music

320 kbps music

Streaming music quality as high as 128kbps, and offline sync music as high as 320kbps, for the ultimate quality experience

------------------

:mad::mad::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::cool::rolleyes:

that a serious joke on usage of ENGLISH.. 320kbps and HD music... wallah...:D

Easiest will be to check the file size. 128kbps has about 1 Meg per min. But an unscrupulous operator can take a 128k song and re rip them at 320kbps increasing the file size without increasing quality. I had heard of a freeware that can see frequency profile of the file. That will show if there are any frequencies above 15k in 320k file. They will be in true 320k file but not in a fake one. If someone is interested I can dig that name.

Last edited:
320 kbps is quite an improvement. Ideally it should be CD quality at this bit rate. I am pleasantly surprised that Indian websites have started thinking about quality and payment options. Looks like the entry of pandora etc. is imminent.

BTW following is taken FROM SITE only ...

----------------
High quality Music

320 kbps music

----------------------

When someone's HIGHEST quality is AS HIGH AS ( NOT ALWAYS 320 kbps no point explainingFlac ,24/96 , DSD right?

I think you will kill the creator of this site if he happens to meet you. :D

I feel there's nothing wrong to claim 320 kbps as 'high' quality music given the magnitude of purchases and downloads happening at 128 kbps.

But calling it as HD music is indeed ridiculous though what is considered to be HD itself is debatable. I wonder why they cannot rip into FLAC and charge more. Problem is the masses have no idea what FLAC is and the common majority cannot differentiate it from 320kbps. They should be more than happy with 'high quality' mp3.

Plus, do we really have the bandwidth available to "stream" flacs ?
I think 320 Kbps, if legit, would be difficult to do given spotty 3G coverage

And let's face it, a LOT of music is consumed while on the move. Only the serious audio philes take time out to just sit and listen to music

Plus, do we really have the bandwidth available to "stream" flacs ?
I think 320 Kbps, if legit, would be difficult to do given spotty 3G coverage

And let's face it, a LOT of music is consumed while on the move. Only the serious audio philes take time out to just sit and listen to music

This is the main reason why 320 kbps is fine (though not HD). Linn radio also provides 320 kbps streaming for the same reason.
Linn Radio

What I actually want to see are legal and true HD flac/wav downloads of Indian songs.

Bumping up this really old thread to pick one as my source for music.

Could some one give a review of the 'HD Quality' (whatever it may actually be, 320kbps?) content and how does it compare to paid quality of other providers such as Saavn, iTunes, etc?

It is nice to see the puzzle fitting in with these providers and also now that we have 4G connectivity/High speed broadband almost in every major town:clapping:. So anyone tried all of them and decided on one?

MaSh

Bumping up this really old thread to pick one as my source for music.

Could some one give a review of the 'HD Quality' (whatever it may actually be, 320kbps?) content and how does it compare to paid quality of other providers such as Saavn, iTunes, etc?

It is nice to see the puzzle fitting in with these providers and also now that we have 4G connectivity/High speed broadband almost in every major town:clapping:. So anyone tried all of them and decided on one?

MaSh

Spotify Premium is the best.

Jio Music is the 2nd, even their free tier has higher bitrate (methinks) and sounds very good.

I'd rate Wynk 3rd in terms of SQ, and above the other Indian streaming services like Saavn, Gaana, etc.

iHeart Premium is up there too in terms of SQ and also a great source for the classics. Pandora free tier is also good.

Slacker Radio also has good quality.

Radio Paradise is a bit flaky, some sound great, and them some very low bitrate.

TuneIn has some really bad SQ, sound like 96kbps for many of the stations I've tried, Ilaiyaraaja is unplayable on their stations, extremely bright and low bitrate, will cause fatigue very quickly.

I'm not much up to date with FM, but they sounded good even when driving. Now it's all internet streaming for me.

WorldSpace was the best of the lot, but sadly no more.

PS: If you can go for the Premium Spotify, then it's the best.

I'm yet to try Google Music and iTunes, but not much invested in their ecosystem so will wait a while.

I agree that Jio Music is best among Indian apps with their faithful rip.

But I can feel Wynk is using some kind cosmetic loudness or Enhancer Filter to draw immediate attention among listeners of mobile user with their sporty headphones. But with high resolution speaker system or headphones that trick do not work well, it is very hard to tolerate that for long time due to that artificial-ness. Track gain is always good with Wynk but with a funny feeling that I can not describe more.

I never find such cosmetic feelings with Google Play Music, Jio Music, Saavn and Gaana. Difference is there with the resolution hence with the naturalness but at least they do not use any filter to fill-up any thing.

I think Saavn have nice balance with quality and quantity (collections) of Indian music, especially Hindi, track gain is overall stable comparatively to Gaana.

I feel the gain is little lower side with Gaana but some Regional Collection (Like Bengali) is quite good.

Quality wise Google Play Music is not up to my expectation (may be I had lot of expectation with play music), I hear lot of variation in quality and gain control based on various Genre.

Jio Music do not have direct cast option which I greatly miss and also made several written request to their Customer Care to add that option, they should also concentrate on collection. Again their quality is best among Indian Apps.

Last edited:
Jio Music do not have direct cast option which I greatly miss and also made several written request to their Customer Care to add that option, they should also concentrate on collection. Again their quality is best among Indian Apps.

I just downloaded the Jio Music and I see that the cast option is available and was able to play via my Chromecast Audio :)

You can use the cast entire screen option. Option available on drag down menu via shortcuts and settings screen.

I just downloaded the Jio Music and I see that the cast option is available and was able to play via my Chromecast Audio :)

Don't see it in the app.

Don't see it in the app.

I downloaded the Jio Music app yesterday and the cast screen icon showed up on the top right hand corner. And this was the only icon visible after the app is opened up. Just go to the Google Play and see that the upgrade option might be available for you as the app description on the play store says "Whats new - ++Google Cast - JioMusic now fully supports Google Cast capability and supports widest range of Chromcast devices...."

You can use the cast entire screen option. Option available on drag down menu via shortcuts and settings screen.

I know the cast screen option, that's why I know how good Jio Music is! For bit perfect listening we need cast option on app.

I downloaded the Jio Music app yesterday and the cast screen icon showed up on the top right hand corner. And this was the only icon visible after the app is opened up. Just go to the Google Play and see that the upgrade option might be available for you as the app description on the play store says "Whats new - ++Google Cast - JioMusic now fully supports Google Cast capability and supports widest range of Chromcast devices...."

Uninstalled and reinstalled but still missing the option, can you share your jio music screen shot with cast icon.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back