Getting an AVR from US. Will the power adaptor affect sound quality?

dannyarcher

Hello,
I want to get an AVR from the US. Sony STR-DH790 to be specific. However, the voltage spec of the AVR is 110V. So, we would need a power convertor for it to work in India.

My question is: Will the sound quality take a hit because of this power convertor? I guess there might a hum due to this additional power convertor block.
Is it a good option to get an AVR from the US, for this reason?

Please let me know. Thank you.

Hi

Most like to get AVRs or Speakers or Players from US because:

1. The AVR / Speakers / Player is costing less (almost 40 to 50 %) than India.
  2. The specific model or brand is not available in India as was only launched in the US / European Markets.
Drawbacks:

1. Power Converter required to make the Player or AVR work
  2. Airlines will charge excess baggage weight....depending on what all is being carried. (If carrying in person or a friend is getting it)
  3. Airport Customs in India are moody...either you get lucky and pay nothing...else end paying up much more than what it is available in the Indian markets.
Suggestions:

• Given you are based in Bengaluru, check with all dealers around you for this specific model and brand if available.
  • Check for alternate AVRs with the same or better specs.....most of the Hi Fi products are available close to US market prices.....
  • If you have already decided on this AVR, check with the same seller or alternate dealers in US if they have the 220/240v version. It may cost slightly more.
  • If only the 110v version available and you really want this AVR, get a good converter and also check your electric points at home to ensure there are in order and no challenges later....you would not want your investment going up in smoke!
There are FMs and even some of my friends here in Mumbai who use stuff purchased in the US with converters. There is no Humm issue and also dont think that would deteriorate sound quality as long as converters are proper to handle the AVR load and also of good quality.

All the best!

There would be no issue using with step down converters. Go ahead and get one from USA. It would be better to get a 230 volt one as you won't have any issues in India.

I think if you search in this forum, you should get good recommendation on step down transformer. Key point is the max power rating of the AVR (check AVR spec) and the step down transformer should be able to handle that load.
On the subject of AVR, why not get the dn1080. It's available for around 500usd.

Hello,
I want to get an AVR from the US. Sony STR-DH790 to be specific. However, the voltage spec of the AVR is 110V. So, we would need a power convertor for it to work in India.

My question is: Will the sound quality take a hit because of this power convertor? I guess there might a hum due to this additional power convertor block.
Is it a good option to get an AVR from the US, for this reason?

Please let me know. Thank you.
Search the forum my friend and you will find the answers

There are so many threads with this same question. Efferandi has summed it up the best.
According to me not worth it. To add to that list no warranty. I was in Bangalore for 13 years and I know with proper bargaining you can strike killer deals. I have still friends in Bangalore who can get you excellent AVRs.

Hi

Most like to get AVRs or Speakers or Players from US because:

1. The AVR / Speakers / Player is costing less (almost 40 to 50 %) than India.
  2. The specific model or brand is not available in India as was only launched in the US / European Markets.
Drawbacks:

1. Power Converter required to make the Player or AVR work
  2. Airlines will charge excess baggage weight....depending on what all is being carried. (If carrying in person or a friend is getting it)
  3. Airport Customs in India are moody...either you get lucky and pay nothing...else end paying up much more than what it is available in the Indian markets.
Suggestions:

• Given you are based in Bengaluru, check with all dealers around you for this specific model and brand if available.
  • Check for alternate AVRs with the same or better specs.....most of the Hi Fi products are available close to US market prices.....
  • If you have already decided on this AVR, check with the same seller or alternate dealers in US if they have the 220/240v version. It may cost slightly more.
  • If only the 110v version available and you really want this AVR, get a good converter and also check your electric points at home to ensure there are in order and no challenges later....you would not want your investment going up in smoke!
There are FMs and even some of my friends here in Mumbai who use stuff purchased in the US with converters. There is no Humm issue and also dont think that would deteriorate sound quality as long as converters are proper to handle the AVR load and also of good quality.

All the best!
Thank you so much for a comprehensive reply. This model of Sony AVR is not available in India. And yes, since most of the AVRs are half of the price, I was considering to get this one as it has 7.1 setup. Also, this would be my first AVR and I didn't want to spend too much on it.

But, with the weight and customs issue -- it is still a hassle.
I'll look into HiFimart and see if any of the AVRs fit my budget. Thanks again.

I think if you search in this forum, you should get good recommendation on step down transformer. Key point is the max power rating of the AVR (check AVR spec) and the step down transformer should be able to handle that load.
On the subject of AVR, why not get the dn1080. It's available for around 500usd.
I have the constraint of the weight of the AVR! A family friend would be bringing this and it cannot go beyond 7.5kg. The DN1080 is 9.5kg. Also, the reason to opt for Sony and not look at Denon or Yamaha.

If you are getting from US then check out some sites like 220electronics.com and similar sites which offer you Indian voltage for different brands of AVRs, Blu-ray players and stereo receivers. Slightly expensive compared to 110v but it will save you from converter :)

Search the forum my friend and you will find the answers
Apologies. I did search the forum before posting, but I couldn't find appropriate results as I may haven't entered the right keywords. I now understand that the keyword is 'Step down transformer'. That helps with finding relevant results..

Thank you so much for a comprehensive reply. This model of Sony AVR is not available in India. And yes, since most of the AVRs are half of the price, I was considering to get this one as it has 7.1 setup. Also, this would be my first AVR and I didn't want to spend too much on it.

But, with the weight and customs issue -- it is still a hassle.
I'll look into HiFimart and see if any of the AVRs fit my budget. Thanks again.

Which speakers are you trying to connect to it? How big is the room or listening area? (Dedicated room or normal living room / hall) based on your inputs some of us can guide you for possibly another competent brand and model which may hopefully be close to your budget or slightly more...advantage no headaches of converters and also you get one year warranty

Which speakers are you trying to connect to it? How big is the room or listening area? (Dedicated room or normal living room / hall) based on your inputs some of us can guide you for possibly another competent brand and model which may hopefully be close to your budget or slightly more...advantage no headaches of converters and also you get one year warranty
Thank you so much for offering to help. :)
I've a living room with 11*20ft, with listening and viewing towards the 11ft side.

Use-case: PS4 gaming, streaming from Netflix and Amazon prime.

Currently, I have a basic Sony HT-RT3. One of my choices was to upgrade to Taga Harmony v606. I've a budget of 30k for speakers and these fit well.

Please suggest.

If you are getting from US then check out some sites like 220electronics.com and similar sites which offer you Indian voltage for different brands of AVRs, Blu-ray players and stereo receivers. Slightly expensive compared to 110v but it will save you from converter :)
Wow. I didn't know there is a site like 220-electronics. Thank you for this.

There are so many threads with this same question. Efferandi has summed it up the best.
According to me not worth it. To add to that list no warranty. I was in Bangalore for 13 years and I know with proper bargaining you can strike killer deals. I have still friends in Bangalore who can get you excellent AVRs.
Can you please help me with this? Who are the dealers in Bangalore that I should go to for best prices. Would be great if you can connect me with any of your friends, if possible.

Can you please help me with this? Who are the dealers in Bangalore that I should go to for best prices. Would be great if you can connect me with any of your friends, if possible.
Check out OLX. See their profile, if they have a lot of items listed, they are dealers.

MaSh

I have a 220-110 stepdown from http://maxineindia.com/ purchased via amazon.in. and it has been working great for years. No issues with sound quality, humming etc. Call and speak with Mr. Shah at Maxine. He is very helpful and responsive.

Vertex https://www.vertexpower.in is great too.

Yup. Also using a Maxine 3kva step down to run my Dacs, avrs etc. Product is compact and well made. Have not experienced hum/hiss or any audio degradation.
Ensure you have Atleast double of what is maximum output of the US product.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back