Getting rid of GAS

Some education will help in the reduction of equipment bought. Most importantly people need to realize that just buying some DSP and playing with it will educate you more than any number of pretentious friends with expensive systems trying to appear knowledgeable or any number of scientific papers. When you setup the system and play with the DSP then you will get first hand experience of how sound practically affects the listening experience as you tailor it. A SPL meter helps to understand how loud you want it.

Just my opinion of course.
Trying to stay objective.

I have heard quite a few systems optimised via DSP. The latest being a full lyngdorf system.

All approaches have their strengths and weakness. In the absence of a good quality acoustics, DSP can work wonders. However, if one were to compare 2 systems of equal prices ( the slightly higher end ones) -> DSP and another one in an optimised room ( NON DSP) <-, people may prefer one over the other based on their musical taste and expectations. And sometimes the preference can be quite strong as well.

I agree with you that many issues that people try to solve via ( some ) snake oil products, can be easily solved better via good acoustics and maybe DSP.

However, DSP is not magic pill for every problem in audio. I have met quite a few professionals who have an aversion to DSP after tinkering with it. Many of them say that DSP is best suited for the bass areas of the sound spectrum. The rest should be optimised via good acoustics.

But, each to his own. Respect is important though.

If only my friends kept their thoughts to themselves!
And my midfi setup doesn’t even qualify me to ‘pretentious show off’ status :)
Of course you are pretentious …. The non pretentious ones and real music lovers only listen to music on boom boxes / Bluetooth speakers or better still avoid all these trappings by singing in the shower for better acoustics 🤣🤣🤣🤣!
“ Just my opinion ofcourse “ 😜

Last edited:
Respect is important though
Absolutely. As long as we all maintain it, we’d be able to state, discuss and debate opposing views in an environment that no one feels hostile. Some of the comments in this thread have sentences (including name-calling) that sound violent. That could be avoided.

Also the discussion seems to have gone off the original ‘gear acquisition syndrome’ (so wittily coined term that hits hard) to how much money you spend on the system. The two issues aren’t the same. One can just make one purchase of a TT, phono, amp and speakers in his life, put a crore of rupees on it and enjoy it for decades. It’s not a case of GAS. On the other hand, a budget hobbyist like me might end up with a couple of lacs worth unused gear (equipment and accessories) while listening to a system that is worth just three lacs. I see that as a result of (mild) flatulence*. With us budget hobbyists, usually it’s an attractive bargain on pre-owned gear that lures us into buying stuff we end up not using.

*: I see why the use of the term GAS might have triggered confusion with show-off. ‘Flatulence’ after all, is also a synonym for ‘pomposity’. However, gear acquisition can happen for various other reasons than pomposity. Some that I can think off - fiscal imprudence, impulsive buying, bargain-hunting, impressionability, excessive experimentation, chasing an audio chimera. Yes, it’s a ‘Mrig-Trishna’ - at some point one has to exercise satisfaction to ensure satisfaction - that’s been my take-away. But I can also understand someone for whom gear acquisition and upgradation becomes a life-long passion. If they get more satisfaction from improving sound than listening to music, it’s alright too.

Finally, one knows inside if one is affected by GAS or not. This term & thread just brings it into conscious light for self-reflection.

Last edited:
No amount of DSP will fix your tone.

It doesn't need fixing.

DSP can not fix a posts tone.

I have heard quite a few systems optimised via DSP. The latest being a full lyngdorf system.

All approaches have their strengths and weakness. In the absence of a good quality acoustics, DSP can work wonders. However, if one were to compare 2 systems of equal prices ( the slightly higher end ones) -> DSP and another one in an optimised room ( NON DSP) <-, people may prefer one over the other based on their musical taste and expectations. And sometimes the preference can be quite strong as well.

I agree with you that many issues that people try to solve via ( some ) snake oil products, can be easily solved better via good acoustics and maybe DSP.

However, DSP is not magic pill for every problem in audio. I have met quite a few professionals who have an aversion to DSP after tinkering with it. Many of them say that DSP is best suited for the bass areas of the sound spectrum. The rest should be optimised via good acoustics.

You may have misunderstood. I was saying it is important for anyone to play with DSP to understand the difference it makes to educate themselves on different sound profiles and the impact of frequency ranges which will help them understand what they want, buy accordingly and avoid GAS. Using DSP to "correct" a system wasn't what I was trying to say, that is another topic. I also don't believe in using DSP to "correct" issues unless they are severe, my approach is to use DSP to shape sound to preference. Essentially what many companies do is flavor the sound, that is what I think DSP should be used for, instead of being stuck with the sound the company made, you are free to experiment as you please. I don't agree that DSP should be used just for the bass, I think people who say this are either lacking in experience/knowledge of DSP or they have a product to sell such as expensive speakers, where if one would flavor with DSP to achieve similar results, their product would loose interest.

You are right, to each his own.

You may have misunderstood. I was saying it is important for anyone to play with DSP to understand the difference it makes to educate themselves on different sound profiles and the impact of frequency ranges which will help them understand what they want, buy accordingly and avoid GAS. Using DSP to "correct" a system wasn't what I was trying to say, that is another topic. I also don't believe in using DSP to "correct" issues unless they are severe, my approach is to use DSP to shape sound to preference. Essentially what many companies do is flavor the sound, that is what I think DSP should be used for, instead of being stuck with the sound the company made, you are free to experiment as you please. I don't agree that DSP should be used just for the bass, I think people who say this are either lacking in experience/knowledge of DSP or they have a product to sell such as expensive speakers, where if one would flavor with DSP to achieve similar results, their product would loose interest.

You are right, to each his own.
Thank you.
I was wondering if you meant equalisation in the scenario you have described above?
I am not entirely clear about the processes involved in DSP, but does it involve equalisation based on analysis of the sound using a Mike and automated processing?

But we are digressing from the GAS

Thank you.
I was wondering if you meant equalisation in the scenario you have described above?
I am not entirely clear about the processes involved in DSP, but does it involve equalisation based on analysis of the sound using a Mike and automated processing?

There are too many types to generalise them unfortunately. And may warrant their own post. Iam not exactly a fan of full range dsp. But dsp is room and usage case dependent.

Anyways I think it's time to get rid of the "getting rid of Gas" thread. Bury the hachets and move on to some ever pleasant cable debates. I will go grab my boxing gloves and helmet in the meantime.

Of course you are pretentious …. The non pretentious ones and real music lovers only listen to music on boom boxes / Bluetooth speakers or better still avoid all these trappings by singing in the shower for better acoustics 🤣🤣🤣🤣!
“ Just my opinion ofcourse “ 😜

FYI: no more guest room for you!
You’ll find the carpet quite comfortable :)

Your toilet has a carpet!!!???
Who said he was getting the toilet? :)

On a more serious note:
HFV has always been a tech and price agnostic forum. Whether you're a newbie searching for your first pair of headphones, or an experienced DIYer creating monolithic horns, HFV is a place which offers advice, encouragement and appreciation.

There's another place on the interwebs that's gained traction of late; it's called the ASR forum. Under the guise of 'specs rule!', members are free to indulge in reverse snobbery. Vitriol is hurled at anyone who dares to spend money on expensive gear, and such people are castigated with chants of 'sucker' and 'pretentious show off'.

Subjective views are also subjugated: You can hear a difference between DACs? Really? Did your wife hear the difference, too?

While I'm all for personal opinions and free speech, I draw the line at personal denigration. If you believe you're free to criticize those who don't share your world view, HFV is not the place for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you.

I am not sure what scenario you mean, I hope my post was clear.

You can use a mic and analysis, as well as automated DSP but I was referring to using manual DSP tuned by ear ( for adjusting to taste) and randomly tinkering with the settings ( to learn about sound profiles/frequency ranges).

DSP can help to get more accurate sound. But if that’s not your cup of tea, then it won’t solve the problem unless you know the curve you really like.

I managed to get decent flat response at my listening spot with Camilla DSP which forum member @Kannan had suggested. Now I know I my all time preference like few dbs up in the upper bass to have that bass presence and to feel the heft of the drums.

But at the same time, keeping it flat lets me hear nuances which was masked by this boost. I switch back and forth now and I like both.

Having a speaker with decent directivity makes it fun to play with DSP.

I agree that it won’t solve everyone’s problem.

For example, if you are a hi res listener, introducing DSP would resample it to 44 kHz unless you spend something above 50k on the mini DSP flex. My speakers does not have the high frequency extension to make any audible difference to the hi res music, so it’s fine for me. :)

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back