Getting rid of GAS

I think I need a new tube amplifier that is a bit grainy in the midrange, slightly tighter bass while still possessing the honey like mids. It’s not GAS if I sell something to finance it, is it?

All we ever need is a topping dac feeding a aiyima amp, running a pair of taga speakers for musical enjoyment . Anything else is just a show off 😂.
Yes, all that some MAY need for musical enjoyment may be exactly that. Just as long as it pushes the right buttons in their cortex [I think!] - more power to them!

I can understand the difficulty on reaching to that end game system. It is a long winding road.

Like what @coaltrain said, listening to other’s systems helps. Whenever I travel, I connect with forum members and get to listen to their systems. I have made quite a few visits across four different cities. The idea is to explore as many systems as possible with an open mind.

Over a decade ago, when I was starting out, it is during such visits I was so impressed with a system, that I replicated the setup (or rather acquired) his speakers and a preamp. I still have those speakers. They have gone through an evolution, through an upgrade of a SS amp and a DAC. As well as, refining the room acoustics and power. It is quite fascinating to see the same speakers evolving so much.

I would focus on the speakers first. They have a specific sound signature that need to be brought out to its best. A complimentary source and amplifier. This also reduces the variables.

I do spend time researching, exploring new and interesting pieces of gear. It is armchair research and passive window shopping. It is a good past time and gives me something to look up to. I don’t spend on anything, unless it adds value to the system. It is whole synthesis of experiences from auditioning, gathering opinions and reviews. And finally making an informed choice.

It took over sweet two years to reach an endgame DAC, as documented here

Compulsive shopping and the like could have psychological underpinnings. Some might be trying to fill a void, or searching for relief. It is fine to a certain extent but when significant money is being spent, it could be a serious issue. We might end up being grown up kids with expensive toys. It is important to be self-aware. I know of one individual who has taken to the extreme with dozens of headphones, amps and components. He reached a point where he had to quit the whole audio thing and sell off all his gear.

Last edited:
I can understand the difficulty on reaching to that end game system. It is a long winding road.

Like what @coaltrain said, listening to other’s systems helps. Whenever I travel, I connect with forum members and get to listen to their systems. I have made quite a few visits across four different cities. The idea is to explore as many systems as possible with an open mind.

Over a decade ago, when I was starting out, it is during such visits I was so impressed with a system, that I replicated the setup (or rather acquired) his speakers and a preamp. I still have those speakers. They have gone through an evolution, through an upgrade of a SS amp and a DAC. As well as, refining the room acoustics and power. It is quite fascinating to see the same speakers evolving so much.

I would focus on the speakers first. They have a specific sound signature that need to be brought out to its best. A complimentary source and amplifier. This also reduces the variables.

I do spend time researching, exploring new and interesting pieces of gear. It is armchair research and passive window shopping. It is a good past time and gives me something to look up to. I don’t spend on anything, unless it adds value to the system. It is whole synthesis of experiences from auditioning, gathering opinions and reviews. And finally making an informed choice.

It took over sweet two years to reach an endgame DAC, as documented here

Compulsive shopping and the like could have psychological underpinnings. Some might be trying to fill a void, or searching for relief. It is fine to a certain extent but when significant money is being spent, it could be a serious issue. We might end up being grown up kids with expensive toys. It is important to be self-aware. I know of one individual who has taken to the extreme with dozens of headphones, amps and components. He reached a point where he had to quit the whole audio thing and sell off all his gear.
The hunt is more thrilling than the kill for me 😜. I know exactly what my end game system is. It is expensive but eminently doable. But I won't buy it unless the doctor tells me that Iam a year away from kicking the bucket 😝

Some education will help in the reduction of equipment bought. Most importantly people need to realize that just buying some DSP and playing with it will educate you more than any number of pretentious friends with expensive systems trying to appear knowledgeable or any number of scientific papers. When you setup the system and play with the DSP then you will get first hand experience of how sound practically affects the listening experience as you tailor it. A SPL meter helps to understand how loud you want it.

I feel all these GAS people are just typical pretentious show off people, some do it with cars, they do it with audio, they might be doing it with cars too (or other things).

IMO most people in the hobby (including this forum) are ignorant and pretentious. That's why they don't get over the GAS and in the end they don't care about the music, mostly the show off/social aspects. I'd wager a lot of people here (and worldwide) spend more time on the forums (and other social aspects)/tinkering with their setup than listening to music. It is this mindset that contributes to GAS.

When people care about the music and not the social/show off aspects then the GAS will be gone. Half the time people think their system is fine, they open up the internet and feel "this could be better/i feel small now" and off they go.

Lastly people have a bad habit of equating price with superiority. It doesn't matter if it sounds better or not, if it's more expensive they will beat it into their heads its better. As a result when they see something more expensive in range and if it's accompanied with the right fluff then they want it. If it's above range then they try for it long term.

Just my opinion of course.

Last few months have been a bit crazy - I have acquired way too many new things

Two pair of speakers (ATC & Focal) - one demo piece and one Preowned
One pair of monoblocs for the ATC (O&B) - New
One power amp for the focal (Discrete Dynamics - Aniket Delhi) - Preowned, might be temporary
One DAC (NAD M51) - Preowned
Sonore uRendu + psu - Preowned
Whole load of cables
Room treatment items (yet to be installed) - will be done soon
There is still more stuff to get (Preamp and subwoofers)

So GAS is in full swing unfortunately for me. Hopefully things will change soon once the entire setup is complete.

I feel all these GAS people are just typical pretentious show off people, some do it with cars, they do it with audio, they might be doing it with cars too (or other things).

That’s probably the most ridiculous comment I’ve read in HFV in the last 14 years.
So anyone who works hard, saves and invests wisely, provides for their family and spends their own hard earned money on expensive gear is a ‘pretentious show off’?
Seriously?
You should see a chiropractor soon.
You’ll hurt your back carrying around that massive chip on your shoulder.

That’s probably the most ridiculous comment I’ve read in HFV in the last 14 years.
So anyone who works hard, saves and invests wisely, provides for their family and spends their own hard earned money on expensive gear is a ‘pretentious show off’?
Seriously?

Your making assumptions. There was nothing in my post about working hard and so forth. You may require better reading skills or if you lack them please think about school. You should take my post for what it says, if you are able.

Yes. Seriously.

Some education will help in the reduction of equipment bought. Most importantly people need to realize that just buying some DSP and playing with it will educate you more than any number of pretentious friends with expensive systems trying to appear knowledgeable or any number of scientific papers. When you setup the system and play with the DSP then you will get first hand experience of how sound practically affects the listening experience as you tailor it. A SPL meter helps to understand how loud you want it.

IMO most people in the hobby (including this forum) are ignorant and pretentious. That's why they don't get over the GAS and in the end they don't care about the music, mostly the show off/social aspects. I'd wager a lot of people here (and worldwide) spend more time on the forums (and other social aspects)/tinkering with their setup than listening to music. It is this mindset that contributes to GAS.

When people care about the music and not the social/show off aspects then the GAS will be gone. Half the time people think their system is fine, they open up the internet and feel "this could be better/i feel small now" and off they go.

Lastly people have a bad habit of equating price with superiority. It doesn't matter if it sounds better or not, if it's more expensive they will beat it into their heads its better. As a result when they see something more expensive in range and if it's accompanied with the right fluff then they want it. If it's above range then they try for it long term.

It might be your opinion, and you are certainly entitled to one 😜😜. But not everyone with what you would consider to be an expensive system are pretentious or ignorant I would think. Maybe you were a little harsh passing that judgement. When someone has slogged his fair share, and thinks he's arrived where he wanted to be. It would be natural to expect that he would like to treat himself to the best he can afford in all avenues of life. House, watches, Hifi and cars are no different. Iam yet to come across a millionaire living in a slum or walking to work. What's the whole point of accumulating wealth if you can't spend it on the things that give you joy.

Seriously?
That comment was honorably signed off :)

But, usually if a person is of the nature, he may not choose to show off using Audio Gears in the first place.
Very Very Few people get the that sharp pang of jealousy looking at audio gears , leave alone listening to it. - unless the other person is really into it and is the object of desire.

of course , my opinions here too.

That comment was honorably signed off :)

But, usually if a person is of the nature, he may not choose to show off using Audio Gears in the first place.
Very Very Few people get the that sharp pang of jealousy looking at audio gears , leave alone listening to it. - unless the other person is really into it and is the object of desire.

of course , my opinions here too.
Iam more konphuzed now 😅😅

The hunt is more thrilling than the kill for me 😜. I know exactly what my end game system is. It is expensive but eminently doable. But I won't buy it unless the doctor tells me that Iam a year away from kicking the bucket 😝
Yes, the journey is more adventurous than the destination. I guess when we get the endgame system, it ceases to be that. It is probably a mythical, elusive beast that we dream of. :) We have all the time in the world to do armchair research of components. The good thing about taking time is that we don't end up with something we would regret later.

I have felt a little bit of bloating and heartburn at times but the same might have been for not staying within my means. Otherwise GAS had not been a problem for me. I like to look at photos of other peoples systems when they put one up on the forum and enjoy it.

Being able to visit a couple of fellow members at their homes and listen to their systems, also helped me see what was possible.

@Decadent_Spectre, while I may not agree with all the viewpoints in your post above, I do respect your right to have your individual opinion. We have been having an amicable discussion. Maybe you could consider rewriting your post in a friendlier tone? As an experienced audiophile you know as well as anyone on this forum the magic of a good tone.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back