Glass TosLink Cables

Nikhil

Staff member
I am using an AppleTV and a legacy CD player to connect to my DAC for which I have been using regular optical cables. I would like to explore using a glass fibre (like many elsewhere) TosLink to TosLink cable. From what I have read on Audiogon - high quality glass fibre optical cables have a much higher bandwidth. The AudioQuest OptiLink 5 is a cable I see mentioned a lot on there. Would be very interested in trying it out. Another cable often mentioned is Wireworld Super Nova 5+ (6) which some claim to have outperformed the AQ OptiLink 5.

Would like to know what the latest version of the AudioQuest cable is? Is it any good compared to the older Optilink 5?

Last edited:
high quality glass fibre optical cables have a much higher bandwidth.

But... do you need it? The maximum bandwidth that you can use is the bandwidth of the transmitter/receiver; the specification bandwidth of the system.

If, for instance, I have two 10Mb-ethernet devices, I will gain nothing by connecting them with a Gb cable.

...which some claim to have outperformed...
In what way, and by what measurable amounts?

I know it is not a welcome sentiment amongst many "audiophiles," but any wariness when looking at claims made by cable companies should be increased 100% when it comes to these digital cables. If one toslink cable "outperforms" another, then let them show the numbers. After that remains the question as to whether the difference can be heard or not.

Having said all that, you might think that I would be too cynical to ever buy a glass optical cable instead of a plastic one. Actually, you'd be wrong :D. Partly because we all have our prejudices, whether they are reasonable or not and, true ot not, glass just seems to me to be the better material. After all, it is used to reliably transmit data over large distances at high speeds.

I haven't used toslink for a long time, but I used to use it quite a lot. My fairly long input/output digital cables from my PC soudcard were toslink, and, in the days of minidisk, and before portable players came with USB, I used toslink for that too.

What I'd be interested in , if I were setting it up now, would be...

1. Which is physically the most robust.

2. Which can be bent to the smallest radius.

3. Which has been shown to most accurately transmit the data with the least jitter.

On item 2, I once thought I had broken a toslink cable. All that happened was the box had got pushed against the wall and bent it too sharply. Thankfully it was not broken, and giving it the proper space for a less sharp bend restored the sound at once. That Toslink cables cannot transmit a clean signal around corners that are too sharp is not at all theoretical.

On item 3, I don't really believe that jitter is going to be much a problem between two devices, but if one cable can be shown to cause less than another, at a realistic price, then --- why not!

Sorry to sing the same old song again, but I will not buy any cable from companies that make ridiculous claims about, eg, networking cables. However much their speaker cables might suit my speakers, their ethics do not suit me. I'd rather deal with an honest company, and a whole army of audiophiles telling me the speaker cable sounds better to them will not shift me on that.

PS... Wikkipedia interesting page. Head-fi Conversation. Personally, I'd use this a benchmark, at least for price.

But... You've probably done the googling too, and, if I don't stop here I'ma going to spend the rest of the afternoon surfing on this subject :)

Last edited:
One of my friends has a Wireworld optical cable (glass). He desperately wanted to get rid of it after he borrowed a no name cable from me that I had bought on ebay. I'll find out if he still has it and pm you.

Thad,

Plastic TosLink has 5-6 Mhz Bandwidth
Glass Toslink has 30 Mhz Bandwidth

Take a look at the following links I have been looking at:

Glass TOSLink optical cable. Are you sure it's made of glass? - Agoraquest - Sony Forum, News, Reviews
(Scroll down to second post by Maxxwire)

For adequate performance, optical links must have a bandwidth of 9MHz minimum. To operate at 48kHz and have a 15% margin for speed adjustments, the interface bandwidth must be at least 11MHz. and the 30 Mhz Bandwidth advantage of Glass Toslink has been heard time and documented and time again here on the Forum.

TOSLINK Interconnect History & Basics | Audioholics

An often-overlooked cause of jitter is bandwidth limiting of the digital signal. Quoting from the Rmy Fourr Stereophile article "Jitter and the Digital Interface" published in the October, 1993 issue; " A word about optical links. Still using the example above with digital signals A and B, a low-pass filter at 5MHz-typical of TosLink-causes a time difference of 121ps. A 6MHz low-pass filter causes a time difference of 33ps. For adequate performance, optical links must have a bandwidth of 9MHz minimum. To operate at 48kHz and have a 15% margin for speed adjustments, the interface bandwidth must be at least 11MHz."

Have to go out.

Yes, I am interested in this subject :) Will come back and browse later.

Last time I looked at this, I found out that the spdiff specs go back to the red-book CD definition. What does it say about bandwidth? Another question which occurs to me is, what medium suits this particular frequency of visible light best?

All this technical stuff is very interesting. As I say, if there is any case at all for it, buy glass --- but not at audiophool prices.

Anyway, back later... :)

One of my friends has a Wireworld optical cable (glass). He desperately wanted to get rid of it after he borrowed a no name cable from me that I had bought on ebay. I'll find out if he still has it and pm you.

Thanks Shivam. Any idea which Wireworld type it was?
I am interested in the Supernova 5+ or 6 ...

This one doesn't :) EDIT: just realised... this is plastic :eek:

Just got home to more surfing, checking out previous links.

Sheesh... my keyboard sounds so loud! Just had my ears cleared out by the ENT doc!

Last edited:
the AT&T glass cables (not toslink) were one of the best interfaces..even better than SPDIF but it died. but i have heard that glass has lower transmission losses of the reflective nature than the usual plastic.

This is a good link on SPDIF Format

BTW i hope you dont use this for 24bit stuff so better to downsample...SPDIF is only good for 20bit and above that AES/EBU is better (upto 24)

The AudioQuest OptiLink supposedly used the same Fused Silica Glass filament that were used in the ATT/ST Glass cables.
Here is the link from Audiogon where I first heard about this cable ...

AudiogoN Forums: Glass v.s. Plastic Toslink

Not all optical Toslink cables are the same and neither do they have the same kind of filament. Common plastic fiber filament Toslink has a bandwidth of about 6 MHz and this is what has given Toslink such a bad reputation because it chokes out the harmonics of the 3.3 MHz fundamental which needs bandwidth out to 10X that of the fundamental on order to form a nice square wave.

Back in 2002 I bought an 30 MHz Bandwidth Audioquest Optilink 4 Glass Toslink cable which has the same Fused Silica Glass filament that they use in their ATT/ST Glass cables. Over the last 10 years I have compared it to many coax cables up to a price-point of $600 and I have yet to find one that has the absolute transparency that the Audioquest Optilink 4 Fused Silica Glass Toslink has in that it has a 30 MHz bandwidth which is sufficient to allow the full development of the Digital signal's harmonics which is essential for the best sounding digital music playback.

Thad,

This stuff is almost 10 years old. Most material I have looked up is to the year almost 10 years old ...

6moons.com - audio reviews: A Toslink vs. RCA digital cable comparison

Glass TosLink is the real deal.
Nikhil, I just read the Audioholics article, and I'd say that, had I been currently looking for optical digital cable then, yes ...I'm sold on glass. Or should I say quartz? Plastic science is truly wonderful, and, no doubt one day, they'll come along with a plastic fibre that surpasses all. Until then, I'm happy to accept that glass rules the roost and that, with the proviso that I did not understand all that I just read. Sometimes prejudices can be right :D

So thanks for that :)

The article is, apparently, reprinted from Impact Acoustics, but, although I can find references to their "Sonicwave" cables, I can't find the company itself. a URL from another Audioholics article of quite a few years ago redirects to cablestogo and you can find the Sonicwave glass cables here.

I'll pass on the 6moons subjective listening tests, which I just glanced at, for now, at least.

Sorry, I cannot take AudioQuest seriously, for reasons mentioned above. Even if they do make some really great cables.

Last edited:
I was going to mention Blue Jeans again, but I checked first, and now I realise their optical cables are plastic, and not glass. That rather blows my 'price benchmark'! :eek:.

It's worth reading their statement about why they go for plastic. You could try both --- and write it up :)

Any progress nikhil?
DH labs to have a glass master toslink.

Didn't bother much with glass after USB came out in a big way.
I do have a toslink for an AppleTV but I use a generic plastic cable for that.

Regards

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back