Going all-Audio-Research way...

murali

Finally, I have decided to put the final piece in the jigsaw of a decent hifi system by going for a Audio Research Reference 110 power amp, one of the last pieces remaining (model changed to Ref-150 now), and (hopefully) my last upgrade piece. Of course, this one is with KT120 tubes and from what I read, it is supposed to give an output of around 130W.
So with my Ayre source (C-5) and Audio Research Ref-3 (displacing VTL 5.5)and Ref-110 (displacing Ayre V-5) driving the Vandy Quatro (displacing 2Ce) with all-Audioquest cables, I really look forward to how an all-tube amplification system is going to sound.

Expecting to be back permanently "here" from "neither here nor there" early next year, I hope I can spend the rest of my days happily with my music, movies and books.

Needless to say, all the displaced equipment mentioned above have been excellent and worth the 5-6 years I have spent with them.

Only one final temptation: should I take a plunge into vinyl or not? Still debating as I am getting too old to tweak around...

cheers and happy listening.
murali

using vinyl can keep a little more active - getting up from the chair to change record, cleaning records etc. :)

Hi Murali,
Some of the joy of vinyl comes from the inevitable tweaking necessary for setting up and maintaining the system and a huge part from the pure, rich sound of analogue music. I suggest you take the plunge and enjoy the highs of the vinyl experience.
Regards:)

Finally, I have decided to put the final piece in the jigsaw of a decent hifi system by going for a Audio Research Reference 110 power amp, one of the last pieces remaining (model changed to Ref-150 now), and (hopefully) my last upgrade piece. Of course, this one is with KT120 tubes and from what I read, it is supposed to give an output of around 130W.
So with my Ayre source (C-5) and Audio Research Ref-3 (displacing VTL 5.5)and Ref-110 (displacing Ayre V-5) driving the Vandy Quatro (displacing 2Ce) with all-Audioquest cables, I really look forward to how an all-tube amplification system is going to sound.

That's some pedigreed gear you have there. Both outgoing and incoming.

Expecting to be back permanently "here" from "neither here nor there" early next year, I hope I can spend the rest of my days happily with my music, movies and books.

Does this happen? Ever? Isn't that position a bit like having attained nirvana?:lol: And if you do, what will happen to the thrill of the chase?

Only one final temptation: should I take a plunge into vinyl or not? Still debating as I am getting too old to tweak around...

No one is too old to rock and roll. No one is too young to rock and roll. What are you waiting for?:)

Joshua

Hi Murali

Vinyl is good fun. After nearly 15 years of digital stuff, i took the vinyl plunge. Its been very rewarding.

Murali

Sounds like good"pedigreed" stuff ( as an earlier poster put it. My amsp use much lower poer with EL 34 tubes-getting heavy gear across in checked in baggage is not easy-and is becoming even more difficult now with the one checked in bag that most airlines are now indulging in.

Hi Murali
Am sure its a well researched move.

I would like to know a bit more on the choice of the Ref 110. Am presuming that u have heard it a couple of times & compared it to a few other candidates. SS input stage & tube output. I know 3 guys using the same amp / preamp combo driving various loudspeakers from ESLs to Wilsons. I also go over to AVI often so I listen to most Audio Research gear. Have u heard the VSI 60 integrated side by side?

You are never too old for anything!!!! If u feel the need for Vinyl, go for it.

I too am planning on swapping the Avalon Ascendant for something better in the Avalon range.

Rgds

Last edited:
Hi Murali
Am sure its a well researched move.

I would like to know a bit more on the choice of the Ref 110. Am presuming that u have heard it a couple of times & compared it to a few other candidates. SS input stage & tube output. I know 3 guys using the same amp / preamp combo driving various loudspeakers from ESLs to Wilsons. I also go over to AVI often so I listen to most Audio Research gear. Have u heard the VSI 60 integrated side by side?

You are never too old for anything!!!! If u feel the need for Vinyl, go for it.

I too am planning on swapping the Avalon Ascendant for something better in the Avalon range.

Rgds
First, let me make it very clear that in my circumstances, whether in India or outside (where I am working and living), I never had the opportunity to audition systems and then make a decision. This may sound a bit naive and stupid but that is the fact of life sometimes.
For good-sounding and highly regarded equipment, I have gone more by my own research through written words and communications with knowledgeable people, and of course, my beliefs and faith in certain aspects like time and phase accuracy for speakers, no or very little negative feedback for amplifiers, etc etc. Fortunately, so far, I have no regrets in this approach.
Coming to your specific question, the ARC-Vandy combination has been quite successful like the Ayre-Vandy one, no doubt there. Richard himself has been using ARC gear till recently before he switched over to Ayre MX-R. My first quest was for the MX-R but is way beyond my reach and hardly available used. Having heard the Ayre V-5xe so far, I feel no inclination towards other solid state amps like Pass or Bryston or others, however good they may be. So my option was limited to a Ayre V-1xe (I feel the V-5 is not good enough for the Quatro wood whereas it is more than sufficient for the 2Ce) in solid state. But of late, I have started to believe more in having the same make pre-power amps rather than the mix-and-match. The Reference 3 preamp I recently acquired is wonderful and cannot be justified with a solid state power amp from ARC. At the same time, I can't afford their Reference 220 monoblocks. My options then are the Reference 110 stereo and their hybrid HD220. But in the latter category, I find the Aesthetix Atlas considered far superior to the ARC but is hardly available at the US retail price in 230 volt version, however hard I tried. Plus, the HD220 has never been reviewed by any magazines or audiophiles of repute and there are mixed opinions about it in a few forums. A hybrid is what I would prefer ideally because of the hassles of procuring new tubes, especially in power amps. So I went back to the Reference 110 which is unanimously acclaimed as one of the best, an ideal match with my Reference 3 preamp and Vandy Quatro speakers, and from cost point of view, is now available at good discounts as ARC have replaced it with Reference 150. Plus, the KT120 valves boost the power from 110W to nearly 130W and are claimed to give a longer tube life, narrowing the differences between the older 110 and the new 150.

That sums it up.

cheers.
murali

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back