Going in reverse for a while

But I thought the Saadana is augmented with three 6-6.5 inch drivers & by a seperate amplifier for low frequencies? Or is that a different model? if it's the same model, then it's not as simple as you think. It would be quite a complex configuration I'd imagine.

Last edited:
Yes the Saadhanas have three 6.5 inchers to augment the bass but the Lowther operates full range. There is no cut off. So its a lot easier. You have a crossover and a vol control, a lot like Rel subs.

You set up the Saadhanas just using the Lowthers. Thats the tricky part. Its very sensitive to room placement. Once you have got that right you dial in as much bass as you want. Thats not so difficult. Set up correctly the bass never mixes with the mids. Unlike the normal way of playing a bass track to set up the bass, i prefer using a voice to set the bass up. At one point the bass cuts into the mids. So i just keep it a little under that. Works like a charm.

Thanks to Jai not packing his speakers for another week, and thanks to him kindly calling me to let me know, I squeezed a half hour out and had a listen. One bass unit unfortunately was not plugged in since the cabling had some issues. But overall nevertheless managed to get an impression of a Lowther based system. The room is quite big which I'm sure adds to his set up woes but from the sweet spot, the speakers disappear quite nicely. My overall impressions are an intimate focused performance, seemed like more than enough detail on tap, I did not have any of my own CDs having packed everything up so impressions are overall. It's quite a lovely set up and the bass units seem to have the capability to merge fairly well with the single driver. I'm sure they'd sound even better when set up optimally.

Thanks for the opportunity to have a listen Jai :)

No Stevieboy, the Rethms throw a huge stage which envelops you. They do not give an intimate focussed performance. Something not right with the set up.

Hmmm I guess perhaps that's why Jai is packing them up and setting them up when he moves to a more permanent location.

Regards

No Stevieboy, the Rethms throw a huge stage which envelops you. They do not give an intimate focussed performance. Something not right with the set up.

Yes! When I listened to Prem's system, though sweet spot is the ideal location but even listening to the set up completely from one side still gave a very very clear soundstage. It is like how it would be in an actual performance.

Good to know that the Speakers are not up for sale as I think that they are one of the best speakers out there.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back