Golden ratio for sealed sub - which is right ?

Naveenbnc

Hi all,

I'm searching for goldenratio box dimensions, and in different websites it's shown differently.

1. 2D x 3D x 5D (depth x Width x Height)

2. 1: 1.6 : 0.6 (don't know which is depth, width and height)

3. 1: 1.6: 1.6 ( (don't know which is depth, width and height)

Out of these three, the first one is published in an audio text book kind of document, while the 2nd and 3rd are written by people in discussion forums.

Can any one throw some light which id right please.....

Secondly,
Does it change based on front firing Vs down firing ???

If we take the first one, for front firing, the front baffle will be 3Dx5D (width x Height)

For down firing , the bottom baffle will be 3Dx5D

Does it make sense ?? I mean,...the depth always means the distance between driver mounting baffle and the opposite baffle.

Thanks & Regards,
Naveen

And by the way.... please correct me if I'm wrong, ..... standing waves is not a big problem for subwoofers. Is this right ???

I would love to build a perfect cube 12"x12"x12" unless it is a very bad idea.

And by the way.... please correct me if I'm wrong, ..... standing waves is not a big problem for subwoofers. Is this right ???

Yes it is. Build the box wrt the sealed vas (ts parameters). For standing waves apply mesh like bracing. Damp the enclosure as much as you can.

I like front fairing and that my personal preference only.

Go with company specs. it is the easiest way out.
I prefer to keep it simple by front firing, best for music by my experience.
Though the present sub I use has the port at the bottom, I would prefer the port also in the front.

However sealed is what I like most.

Go with company specs. it is the easiest way out.
I prefer to keep it simple by front firing, best for music by my experience.
Though the present sub I use has the port at the bottom, I would prefer the port also in the front.

However sealed is what I like most.
i already built a ported sub. I have one more driver, and i want to build a sealed sub and compare how different they sound.

Yes it is. Build the box wrt the sealed vas (ts parameters). For standing waves apply mesh like bracing. Damp the enclosure as much as you can.

I like front fairing and that my personal preference only.
Hey ... im a little unclear .... can i go ahead with perfect cube ?
Or should i follow golden ratio?
In case of golden ratio, the first option 2D x 3D x 5D (depth x Width x Height) is correct ?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back