good 5.1 channel (between 3 choices)

akshaysalkar

I have a plan to buy a 5.1 channel AV receiver. I am looking at a low budget quality receiver. Based on this I found 3 products which are available in my country. Could the experts give me some comparison between below (all are 5.1 channel outputs), and which would be best preferred :

Yamaha RX-V367
Onkyo TX-SR307
Denon AVR - 1311

I have a plan to buy a 5.1 channel AV receiver. I am looking at a low budget quality receiver. Based on this I found 3 products which are available in my country. Could the experts give me some comparison between below (all are 5.1 channel outputs), and which would be best preferred :

Yamaha RX-V367
Onkyo TX-SR307
Denon AVR - 1311

If you could give us some insight on your specific requirements, in addition to 5.1 channels and low budget, it would be easier for us to help you in deciding one among the three.

Cheers!

what speaker package will you be using it. pairing a system is very important. you need to match your amp to the speakers that you will be using

+1 to afj, First choose your speaker package then find the avr to drive them.

What is your budget total (Speakers + AVR) ?
Room size ?
Music / Movie ratio ?

+1 to afj, First choose your speaker package then find the avr to drive them.

What is your budget total (Speakers + AVR) ?
Room size ?
Music / Movie ratio ?

Thanks for all your replies. Firstly I am from India.

1) Well all I know is that the budget for a 5.1 among the mentioned 3 fits fine.

2) Regarding speakers : I already have 4 speakers (2 dual cone, and 2 tweeters)
I really dont know about their watts, amps and any technicalities beyond this. I also dont know how to find it out either. They sound good 2 me is all I can say (Dry answer :cool: )

Is it that I would require some specific speakers to connect to these AVs . OR would any do ? (I meant is it possible that the speakers might not function if I connect them to these AVs.. due to whatever reasons)

3) My Room Size is 22ft X 16ft

4) I would mostly use it for movies. so the ratio Music / Movie ratio = 20:80

The manuals are available on Net, but if you'll want them then I could provide with the URLS so you can give me proper guidance.

India is big country. Anyones advise is restricted and illogical if you are secretive about your location.( Eg . Grey market info about Alfa Mumbai is useless for person in Kolkata) Also " found 3 products which are available in my country. " is quiet strange from an Indian on an Indian forum..right?

BTW there may be far MORE VFM products available in MY country .. but you need to disclose your l;ocation :)

also is HD audi decoding is important for you then above yamaha is of no use.

You are talking about 2years old models and try to find some other stores in ur location so that u can select from wide range of models ,if movie is ur main preference then blindly go for an onkyo if music and movie is 1:1 ratio then go for denon if u want it to be more musical then go for yamaha:)
Just my one cent:)

Try to buy a receiver that decode dts hd and dolby digital ma and has hdmi so that it will be future proof and that u need not have to change ur received for 4 to 5 years and later on u can add the speaker if ur not satisfied with ur present speakers:)

Last edited:
Among these three, Denon AVR - 1311 is the best bet.

This has automatic calibration that will fix lots of issues with speaker, placement etc.

Basically its a mic and AVR would use it to test what kind of sound is being generated and would tweak settings automatically.

2) Regarding speakers : I already have 4 speakers (2 dual cone, and 2 tweeters)
I really dont know about their watts, amps and any technicalities beyond this. I also dont know how to find it out either. They sound good 2 me is all I can say (Dry answer :cool: )

Is it that I would require some specific speakers to connect to these AVs . OR would any do ? (I meant is it possible that the speakers might not function if I connect them to these AVs.. due to whatever reasons)

Your speakers would work just fine with these AVRs. And if you like the sound, there is no issue at all.

Of course, buying better speakers would give better sound but you do not have to buy speakers right away.

This has automatic calibration that will fix lots of issues with speaker, placement etc.

Basically its a mic and AVR would use it to test what kind of sound is being generated and would tweak settings automatically.

I believe Denon 1311 does not have the Audessey Eq with the mic. I think its the 1611, but i could be wrong.
The Onkyo TX-SR508 is a good bet too, plus its 7.1, 160w per channel, and decodes all audio formats.

Well actually these seems to show up as (NEW) in the individual websites . So I dont know how they can be old ?

Also they are 5.1 channel AVRs ; Anything on the higher side would be a 7.1 (with a higher cost).. and those 7.1 's are beyond my budget.

Is there some kind of feature, based on which you mention that Onkyo good for movies, yamaha for music ?

Hear it with ur own ears then u will believe that yamaha are musical than onkyo.
Just go for a demo :)
You can get yamaha 465
For 17000 which has hdmi and all decoders.

Hear it with ur own ears then u will believe that yamaha are musical than onkyo.
Just go for a demo :)
You can get yamaha 465
For 17000 which has hdmi and all decoders.

i always found the yamaha to be muddy. but thats just my opinion

Your speakers would work just fine with these AVRs. And if you like the sound, there is no issue at all.

I have found the 1311 to be grossly underpowered and struggling to drive even small bookshelf speakers. The OP has a fair sized room. Unless he uses small satellites/sub combination, he is going to be unhappy with these choices.

Cheers

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back